Friday 25 October 2013

Butternut squash cupcakes

If you receive Abel and Cole's veg boxes, you might be aware of their Recipe of the month competitions, when they challenge the entrants to reproduce one of their recipes and submit the photo. I won one of their competitions earlier this year, and received a lovely prize of the food ingredients for the next challenge. When I saw their recipe for Gourdgeous Little Cakes, I knew my guys would love it.
We love squash, the butternut squash in particular, and I often cook with it.



I have adapted the recipe (for the original recipe please follow the link above) and skipped the vanilla yogurt icing altogether.
As I bought a pack of pre-sliced butternut squash, I couldn't possibly grate it, instead I slightly oiled it with the olive oil and roasted in the oven preheated to 180C until soft, then just mashed it with the fork.
I have also added a generous glug of the Gourmet Mulling syrup from Selsley Foods instead of the ground cinnamon, and sprinkled the top of each cupcake with the Holland & Barrett's breakfast mix (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and pine nuts), which my guys are happy to eat by a bucket.


It was a very successful batch, the cupcakes were moist, sweet and very moreish. It's not the first time I have used Abel and Cole's recipe, they have a great selection of recipes online, and you don't have to be a customer to have access to their recipes.

As Hallowe'en is approaching fast, and you might not be sure what to do with the pumpkin's flesh, once you carved it, why don't you try to bake these cupcakes with the pumpkins!







7 comments: