Thursday 3 October 2013

Kellogg's Special K porridge

Most of us have been on a diet at some point of our lives, and I am sure you are all familiar with Kellogg's Special K brand. The Special K diet is well known, and though I could never stick to it for two meals a day, I usually have a box or two of Special K cereals in the kitchen, with the Red Berries being my total favourite. That's why I was very curious to try a new range of multi-grain porridge from Kellogg's Special K.
For the last week I have being trying several new flavours of porridge for slimmers. As they promised, "Special K is turning up the heat this winter as it introduces its first ever porridge for slimmers!"
The new range comes in three varieties: Simply Original, Red Berries and Almond & Honey.




Each box of porridge contains 6-7 sachets. I don't have a microwave, but it takes minutes to cook the porridge on the standard hob. The sachet comes with an inside line which shows you how much milk you need for a portion.
Each 27g serving contains 104 calories and 1.5g of fat. It is 30% less fat than other porridges (in comparison with the main brands).

Like all the porridges in the range Kellogg's Special K Multi-Grain porridge/Simply Original (see photo below) is made with oats, rye and barley. It is naturally high in fibre and is fortified with 7 vitamins and minerals.
I served it with the good old maple syrup, and it was a very satisfying meal.
The original porridge is a versatile product, to which you can add whatever you fancy, making it as healthy (or not so healthy) as you like: top it up with the fresh berries, nuts, seeds, pour a golden syrup or honey, maple syrup or cream. I have recently discovered vanilla pumpkin seeds in M&S, and that is a super topping for any porridge. Or be a bit naughty and sprinkle it with the cinnamon or lavender sugar (if you don't count calories).




If I have to choose my favourite, then I would opt for Kellogg's Special K multi-grain porridge/Almond & honey (6 sachets). It appeals to an inner child in me with its honeyed sweetness and a nice crunch of almonds. It is sweet but not overpowering-sweet. Very enjoyable combination of flavours and textures.




Kellogg's Special K multi-grain porridge/Red Berries (6 sachets) is packed full of freeze dried fruit (strawberry and raspberry). As you can see from the photo below, the porridge is speckled with the red berries. What's the difference from the Red Berries cereal? The berries here come in smaller pieces. And there is no cherry (I like the sour note it adds to the cereal).



You don't have to be on a diet to enjoy the porridge from Special K.



To find more information about the new range, visit My Special K.



Disclosure: I received three boxes of the new Special K porridge range for the purposes of reviewing. All opinions are mine.

2 comments:

  1. Pam Francis Gregory31 October 2013 at 11:26

    O love porridge - The perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love this too and I feel like I am sending them off to school with a warm and satisfied belly when they have had this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete