Thursday 17 October 2013

GreenVale FarmFresh potatoes

You might have spotted a new ad in the magazines that cheekily proclaims: "This season's new bag. Go on, spoil yourself!" or even this amusing pert slogan from GreenVale FarmFresh potatoes:
I know, very daring for a family blog. ;)
For the last couple of weeks I have been testing GreenVale FarmFresh all-rounder potato called Jelly (not sure what's the story behind the name of this variety).
Before I tried them, I read that "they have a delicious, creamy buttery taste, a lovely yellow flesh and are great boiled, mashed or chipped, in fact, they're so versatile you can use them for all your potato needs".
It sounded like a good promise, and I wanted to find out myself just how versatile they are.




These spuds have green credentials and come in a sturdy paper bag. They are available from Tesco nationwide for about £2.50 and from Booth in the North East. The potatoes come already washed (or rather showered, as the website explains).





A.A.Milne said once: “What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.” 
Being a Russian gal, I can eat potatoes every day (a bit like my Italian husband who is happy to eat pasta every day). 
And who could resist a dish of roast potatoes?! Jelly potatoes taste good with a bit of olive oil and garlic (I parboiled the potatoes before roasting). 


It was a great side dish to go with the stuffed chicken breast and roast peppers. I sprinkled it with the rosemary sea salt.



For another dinner I cooked the gammon steaks and served them with the roast potatoes and vegetables.


Cut the potatoes, carrots, pears and fennel into medium sized chunks, drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and roast for 35-40 minutes.




And again, the potatoes were very flavourful, with a touch of sweetness.



Pasta alla genovese is one of my favourites for a mid-week meal, it is really easy to prepare and doesn't take much time. You can also make it with the trofie pasta. Cook the pasta. Add the chopped potatoes and green beans and the pesto sauce. The Jelly potatoes worked really well in this recipe.

Pasta alla Genovese



Pasta alla Genovese 


And don't forget a humble baked potato (I had it for lunch yesterday). The Jelly potatoes are just the perfect size for this simple yet delicious meal. Top it up with whatever you fancy. I added a sliced avocado, grated Cheddar and a teaspoon of the Luchito salsita. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and hey presto!
As you can see from the photos, I have tried the Jelly potatoes in several dishes, and they all came out lovely, so it is truly a good all rounder.



If you are looking for more recipes of potato dishes, there is a mouthwatering recipe for Raclette from Madhouse Family reviews.

For more information and recipes, please visit GreenVale FarmFresh.

Disclosure: I received a 2kg bag of Jelly potatoes for the purposes of reviewing. All opinions are mine.

5 comments:

  1. I love the way you take something as simple as a baked potato and turn it into a work of art ! Thanks for the mention xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Cheryl, thank you for your kind words! xxx

      Delete
  2. Pam Francis Gregory18 October 2013 at 11:21

    These look lovely - What a great way to deal with a plain baked spud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We grow our own potatoes and there are some lovely varieties that you can't always buy in supermarkets. Would like to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greenvale potatoes look good will go out and get some.

    ReplyDelete