Tuesday 8 October 2013

Ozeri Green Earth wok

For the last few weeks I have been testing a new kitchen product from Ozeri - a Green Earth wok, with smooth ceramic non-stick coating. I already own a few products from Ozeri (you might remember my review of Green Earth pan), and was delighted to be asked to test another one. You might think I'm gushing with enthusiasm, but I'm absolutely loving it.



Not only it looks stylish and pretty, it really is a non-stick wok. As you well know, there is a plethora of products which promise you a non-stick performance for years to come, but in reality disappoint you. I have quite a collection of the so called non-stick pans which sadly do not work well (including some well known brands).
I've been using my small Green Earth frying pan from Ozeri since July, and it is as good as new. It is perfect for making scrambled eggs or fried eggs, they just slide off the surface once you finished cooking. The Green Earth wok has the same advantages as its smaller sister, but allows you to cook in bigger quantities.

What Ozeri promises:
"- Utilizes an ultra-safe ceramic coating derived from nature which is 100% PTFE and PFOA free.
- Delivers unprecedented non-stick performance without releasing harmful fumes or toxins at high temperatures
- Features a scratch-resistant 100 ceramic coating as found in nature (no heavy metals or chemicals) that is super easy to clean.
- Made out of durable heavy-gauge pure aluminum with no heavy metals or harmful chemicals.
- Boasts a comfortable heat resistant Bakelight handle, and a magnetized induction stove safe base for rapid heat transfer."

At 12" (30cm) in diameter it is big enough for a family meal. It is a sturdy wok, with a convenient heat-resistant handle. You don't need a lot of oil for cooking, as the heat is distributed evenly. The vegetables or meat cook much faster than in a standard wok.
Another bonus: it is very easy to wash, with just a soapy soft sponge and water.



It is ideal for cooking the stir-fries (see photos above). Just add your favourite selection of vegetables and meat, or make a meat-free meal. I also cooked the Sea bass wrapped in prosciutto with crispy sage in it.



I love fried potatoes with onions, but you have to be quite vigilant, frying them, as they do tend to stick to the frying pan. Not with this wok. The sliced potatoes turn crispy and well browned, but not a single piece stuck to the surface.
I confess, I managed to burn my turkey stir fry yesterday. As I put the meat on the wok, the 95-year-old neighbour knocked at the door, as she locked herself out (yet again) and needed help. By the time the other neighbour found some sprightly young man to climb over the tall stone wall to enter her courtyard from our garden, I forgot all about my stir fry. The meat was quite dark brown by the time I realised I was supposed to be cooking, but again, not a single piece stuck, that is pretty amazing.



Now that I found my favourite range of non-stick kitchen pans, I am going to stick to it (excuse the bad pun).

1 comment:

  1. Pam Francis Gregory30 October 2013 at 15:25

    Looks fantastic. I do enjoy using a good wok!

    ReplyDelete