Tuesday 1 October 2013

Hazelnut butter cookies with chocolate and fudge (gluten free)

These hazelnut butter cookies with chocolate and fudge must be the easiest cookies ever. It takes minutes to prepare. They are so moreish, so irresistible, I didn't even manage to take a photo of the whole batch, they were disappearing so fast.



This recipe is adapted from Phil Vickery's Chocolate peanut butter & fudge cookies (Seriously good Gluten-free baking). I have adapted the recipe, changing some quantities and also substituting the peanut butter for the hazelnut butter.
We had friends coming for tea on Sunday, and I baked yogurt cupcakes for kids. One of our guests in on a gluten-free diet, and I fancied trying something new.
I also had a jar of hazelnut butter collecting dust on the kitchen shelf (incidentally it expired in July, but don't tell anyone). There wasn't enough of the peanut butter left anyway, and I always loved the Italian style hazelnut cookies.



Hazelnut butter cookies with chocolate and fudge
Ingredients:
1 medium egg
90g caster sugar
130g hazelnut butter (I used Meridian Natural brand whole nut spread)
5 Werther's Original Caramel fudge (50g)
50g chocolate chunks, dark
a bit of butter for the foil



Beat the egg with the caster sugar. Add the hazelnut butter and mix well. Chop the fudge (I used Werther's original caramel fudge, Phil Vickery advises to use hard fudge, which I couldn't find, but caramel fudge works beautifully in this recipe). Add the fudge and the chocolate drops to the bowl, and mix it all well.
Line two trays with the foil and butter it slightly. Drop heaped spoonfuls of the mixture on the foil. They don't spread too much. Place the trays in the oven preheated to 180C and bake for 12-14 minutes.
The cookies will be pretty soft at this stage.
Now the most difficult part: let them cool.
Do not (I repeat do not) try to unpeel the cookies from the foil, let them cool completely before doing it, or some bits of the fudge/chocolate will be left behind, trust me.
And now you will have soft chewy cookies, totally mouthwatering. I am so glad I have decided to use the hazelnut butter, that was a great discovery.




Link up your recipe of the week

18 comments:

  1. Great looking biscuits! love the idea of hazelnut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate and hazelnut is such a fab combination and your biscuits sound delicious Galina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hazelnuts are my favourite nuts, a divine combination indeed

      Delete
  3. Now I want cookies, but I don't have hazelnut butter nor do I have any fudge ... hopeless case ... need to learn to restrain myself ... but those are lovey cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any peanut butter? They were really good cookies and I plan to make more, once I buy another jar of the hazelnut butter

      Delete
  4. Wow, these look amazing! The texture looks so chewy and lovely.

    Pinned and Stumbled. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. There's a new linky live now for this week. Please do pop over and join in :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam Francis Gregory14 October 2013 at 19:25

    This is a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still dreaming of chocolate and looking for ideas! This looks fab for chocolate week celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you celebrating the chocolate week? what are you cooking/baking?

      Delete
  7. mm these look scrummy thanks for the recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. With the kids off this week and the weather being so poor, I might give this cookie recipe a go!!! The kids love baking - just need to teach them how to clean up afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool thanks! I have a few eggs that need to be eaten so I might follow your recipe today to use them up!

    ReplyDelete