Thursday 20 August 2015

Oven-dried tomatoes with herbs and garlic



My tomatoes in the greenhouse have gone totally out of control, we just cannot catch up with all the produce. Salads, roasted veggies, soups... but I also fancied some sort of preserves, maybe a tomato jam, or pickles.



Then I happened to find a recipe for oven-dried tomatoes on Sainsbury's magazine site and knew I really fancied trying it.

Oven-dried tomatoes with herbs and garlic
ingredients:
800g mixed cherry or baby plum tomatoes
1 bulb of garlic
a handful of fresh thyme
a sprig of fresh rosemary
500ml bottle of olive oil
sea salt, black pepper

Slice the tomatoes in halves and place in a big tray or ceramic dish with the sliced herbs. Drizzle 3 tbsp of olive oil over the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Toss them a bit, but keep all the tomatoes cut-side up.



Place the tray in the oven preheated to 120C. Now, according to the recipe online, they should be in the oven for up to 3 and a half hours. As my tomatoes were small sized ones, they shrank pretty well after 2 and a half hours. I added the garlic cloves in skins for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Put the tomatoes and garlic in the sterilized jars, and pour the warmed oil over the tomatoes.
I have used the whole bottle of olive oil, as I thought it will be lovely, all infused with the tomato and garlic flavours, and I can use it later for salad dressings.
Seal the jar and keep in the cool place for a few days before you use the tomatoes.
Don't add any fresh herbs to the jar, they need to be dried in the oven, or they get mouldy in the jar.
I love roasted garlic, so added a whole bulb.
What do you do with the tomato glut?




3 comments:

  1. Mmmm mmm mmm. These look so delicious & I don't even like tomatoes. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I'm jealous of all your tomatoes ! If you need another idea, I highly recommend this one : http://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/Madhouse-recipe-Sicilian-cherry-tomato-pesto-tart.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had tomatoes, we never get many. Must get a greenhouse, they are so much nicer homegrown. Your recipe looks lovely

    ReplyDelete