Monday 27 July 2015

Heirloom tomato and roasted lemon salad



I have always loved a roasted lemon, and whenever I cook a roast chicken or any other meat, I like to add a lemon, cut in half or quarters. The flavours of lemon, roasted with the meat juices, are a mix of sour and savoury. But for some reason it never crossed my mind to roast the lemon for the salad. That is, until I came across an Ottolenghi's tomato and roasted lemon salad via a Pin that I loved. I didn't happen to have at least half of the ingredients of the original salad, but hope I will make it one day.
My version was very tasty.

Heirloom tomato and roasted lemon salad
Ingredients:
1 lemon, sliced thinly
1tbsp olive oil
sea salt
2tbsp Coconom coconut sugar with turmeric and tamarind
1tsp Spice Parisienne
5 heirloom tomatoes, of different sizes and colours
mixed salad leaves
1 small sized goat's cheese (about 100g)
1tbsp olive oil to drizzle over

Slice a lemon into thin circles, spread over a foil on a baking/roasting tray and drizzle some olive oil over. Season with sea salt and sprinkle about 2 tbsp of coconut sugar with turmeric and tamarind (on both sides) and a teaspoon of Spice Parisienne. Roast at 180C for about 20+ minutes.



While the lemon is being roasted, slice the tomatoes and sprinkle generously with salt. Assemble the plates by first layering some mixed salad leaves. Then add the tomato slices, roasted lemon slices and sliced goat's cheese. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the salad before serving with a nice chunk of bread.


I used Coconom turmeric and tamarind coconut sugar for the roasted lemons, which I received in the last Degustabox monthly food box, and by now there's not much left of the sugar, as I used it in a few recipes. It is a versatile ingredient which enhances the flavour of many dishes. If you haven't tried it yet, have a look at my recipe for Coconut sugar cookies.


This is a lovely flavourful salad. Roasted lemons are a great addition to my repertoire of salads, and I will definitely be making this salad again.
Now it's a season of tomatoes, and you can find a big variety of tomatoes in supermarkets and farmer's markets. I love the so called heirloom tomatoes as they are so colourful and unique.



Adding my recipe to Ren Behan's Simple and In Season linky.


4 comments:

  1. I love the beautiful vibrant colours

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh loving the roasted lemons and the salad looks so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely, colourful salad. I've made roasted lemon and potatoes before but never served like this, I must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely delicious, sounds like it has bags of flavour! I've got to try this, pinned! ;)

    #simpleandinseason

    ReplyDelete