Sunday 30 April 2017

Spaghetti with rocket pesto

Italian recipes, pasta recipes

I bought a bag of rocket a few days ago, with a good intention of having it for a couple of lunches with prawns as a low calorie meal. Alas, my dieting didn't happen yet again, so I was looking yesterday at the sad bag of rocket, thinking it was going to wilt if I didn't do anything with it.
How about turning it into pesto for spaghetti?

Rocket pesto
Ingredients:
90g rocket
6tbsp olive oil
25g grated Grana Padano
1 clove of garlic
25g ground almonds

Blitz the rocket with olive oil, grated Grana, chopped garlic and ground almonds. Season with a bit of sea salt. Stir into freshly cooked spaghetti.
Grate a bit of Grana over the pasta.



Italian pasta

It was quite bitter. I do love rocket, but as a main herb for pesto it is overpowering. Next time I'll try to do half-half with basil, spinach or parsley.


Since I used a bag of rocket and some of the Grana (still working on my last year's prize of cheese, which I keep in big chunks, wrapped in the fridge and freezer), I'm adding this recipe to #KitchenClearout linky hosted by Cheryl from Madhouse Family Reviews.


4 comments:

  1. I have a chunk of Grana Padano in the fridge at the moment and every time I see it, I think of you ! This looks like a great idea - shame it was bitter but half and half with basil would be lovely, I would think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl! The rocket needs to be diluted by something neutral.

      Delete
  2. I love rocket pesto, adds fire to a pasta dish, I don't mind the bitter aspect. Would be happy to tuck into this. If you so make another green veg dish please do consider sharing it with #EatYourGreens that I am hosting this month http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/welcoming-your-may-eatyourgreens-vegan.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shaheen, I'll try to join in with anything green later this month.

      Delete