Sunday 26 April 2020

Photo diary: week 17, project 366

I was looking at the videos on my iPhone the other day, when I came across last year's May Day dancing videos, and my heart skipped a beat. Who would have thought almost a year ago that this might not happen again a year later. It feels almost like a loss of innocence, and I don't mean just children's.
All those elderly spectators sitting around the green, watching the May Day dance, some were brought from care homes in wheelchairs, clapping enthusiastically to the rhythm of the folk music.
There won't be May Day dance on the Church Green this year. And that is so sad.

Last week was slightly different from two weeks of holidays, because Sasha was back to school. He had two days at school, and it is so important for his mental health. He looks so happy when he comes home. It's lovely to see a sparkle in his eyes, as he's rather subdued by the whole lockdown.

Most of the photos from last week are taken in our garden.

The weather has been so warm in the last couple of weeks that the lilac started to bloom a bit earlier than usual. I saw this little five-petal lilac flower and made a wish.
When we were kids, we thought those flowers brought you luck, and you had to eat it, when wishing for something.

Chez Maximka, English garden in spring

One of Eddie's school tasks on Seesaw was to watch a Youtube video and draw a puppy of his own. He also looked at the book How to draw animals.
I think it's a cute puppy.
Just in case you're wondering about his Cressida Cowell competition entry, sadly he didn't win.


I baked two cakes - an apple almond cake to celebrate the National Tea day, and a banana loaf yesterday. I know everyone seems to be baking banana breads these days, but what else can you do with blackening bananas?

Wedgwood china cup and saucer, Chez Maximka

Aquilegia in our garden grows like weeds everywhere.

Chez Maximka, English garden in spring

Yellow poppies are also spreading like fire. I do like them, they are so jolly.

Chez Maximka, English garden in spring

On Friday our order of Cooltime artist graphic marker pens has arrived, and Eddie asked me to teach him how to draw a cat. He watched me drawing, then worked independently on his own. I love his cat, it's very expressive.

Chez Maximka, Cooltime artist graphic pens, cat drawing


Apple trees are in full bloom now as well. But the lawn in the garden is almost destroyed, as my guys play football and table tennis there every day. And the hedges are awfully overgrown.
I decided to trim them the other day, and managed to cut through the cord of the trimmer. Can't blame anyone, it was entirely my fault. Very annoyed with myself.

How did your week go?


Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

15 comments:

  1. It's lovely to see Sasha is better and that he has a sort of normality. I was surprised yesterday to see that children in Spain were not allowed out for 6 weeks or so, that seems too harsh. The dog looks so cute, he did great.

    I can't agree with you on the trimmer issue. If my husband would let me trim the hedges, any loss of limb or trimmer would be his fault, because he didn't trim the hedges. My enthusiasm is not matched by dexterity, so, while I do lots of DIY, I need to be careful what I do. For example, yesterday I painted one of the garden doors, no power tools involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, my DH is a typical professor whose DIY skills are even worse than mine. Though I should have asked him to help me with the cord, when I move the heavy trimmer around.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have the warmer weather and be able to get outside into the garden, but, as you say, it's a shame we'll be missing all the festivals and other outdoor events this year. Glad to hear that Sasha has settled into the new "normal" - it's good for you guys to have a break when he's at school too :) Sorry to hear about your trimmer -oops !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Sasha has been able to get back to some sort of normality. The flowers are looking so lovely - I wish my aquilegias would spread like that as they are so pretty, the poppies too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to read that Sasha is enjoying school and seems happier. That must be such a relief to you. Eddie is such a talented artist! Your garden is looking beautiful. Your grass really has been destroyed! I thought ours was bad from two weeks of walking round it in self-isolation, but yours is even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much has changed from last year. It is sad to think about all the things that aren't happening because of coronavirus.
    It sounds like Sasha is really happy for being back at school.
    Well done Eddie, that really was a great drawing of a puppy and the cat too.
    Gorgeous photos from your garden. I think we're going to have to make a banana bread soon. I got carried away buying bananas with the shopping. Oops. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That puppy is amazing, I really love how cute it looks! Well done to Eddie, it has such a happy face. It made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that Sasha is enjoying school and seems happier. That must be such a relief. Your garden looks amazing. I am so bad at gardening. Eddie is such a talented artist, that's awesome. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eddie's drawings are fantastic and the flowers in the garden are beautiful. I bake banana bread regardless of lockdown, it's one of the few gf cakes that taste nice. Glad Sasha has some days in school, it must be a relief for you to have a break and get to spend some quality time with Eddie also. Will you send me some Aquilegia and poppy seeds later on from your plants please

    ReplyDelete
  9. opps at cutting through the cable, take it you had a circuit breaker in place or you may not be here to tell us about it.
    Great Sasha is getting some time away from home and is benefiting from it.
    Great drawings Eddie, love the cat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry that The May Day dance won't take place. The flowers look lovely. That's a cute puppy and cat drawing. The apple almond cake looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have enjoyed / hated looking at my timehop photo's in equal measure, The kids did so much this time last year. At least my calendar is looking emptier now and not goading us with things we have missed

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a fab cat picture he did. I love the china you had your tea and cake with. I make smoothies with bananas that are going a bit brown, it works quite well and the kids don't mind. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the others on #project366 mentioned Seesaw and i will definitely check it out as I am struggling to get the kids to do school work...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing all the photos of the flowers. We have very little actually flowering in the garden at the moment although the roses are starting to wake up. I only learnt about seesaw recently I wish our school had done that. I think the cat picture looks great he is very good at drawing.

    ReplyDelete