Sunday 19 April 2020

Photo diary: weeks 15 and 16, project 366

Last weekend I spent glued to the radio, listening to Classic FM's Hall of Fame. It was four days of bliss. If I wasn't cooped up in the kitchen, I was carrying my iPhone around, with the app on, so that I wouldn't miss the countdown.
It is always a highlight of the Easter weekend for me, and this year it also gave me some semblance of normality, as if nothing dreadful is happening around.
None of my three votes made it into the top 100: Khachaturian's Masquerade Suite was at no.159 (up 65 places), The Gadfly by Shostakovich was at no.122 (up 7 places) and Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet was at no.102 (up 14 places).
I was amused to hear my tweet read on the radio. If I knew they'd do it, I'd have said something a little bit more sophisticated.



I was disappointed with the overall winner, as it's not a piece I like. In fact every time it comes up on the radio, I switch it off.

Why am I droning on about Classic FM? It was the main reason why I skipped doing my weekly photo diary.

And here are some of the photos I've taken in the last couple of weeks.
I was walking around the block and saw this cloud circle around the sun, and thought I have to take a photo for Eddie, as it reminded me of the Avengers and the Agents of Shield.

Chez Maximka, Witney

This is one of the tulips in our garden, the colour is so intense.

Chez Maximka, spring garden

Marmite peanut butter was one of the products in the Degustabox food box. My guys refused even to try it. Categorically. You know me, I cannot resist trying something new, but oh boy, I didn't like it at all. It's way too salty. I used some of it to make biscuits.
Have you tried it?

Chez Maximka

We had such good weather for over a week, warm and sunny, and spent as much time as we could in the garden. We still continued doing homework with Eddie, even if technically it was an Easter break.

Chez Maximka

And these are the biscuits, made with Marmite peanut butter. I was having a short break in the garden with a mug of coffee and a book, which is a pure escapism into a different era.

Chez Maximka, red Cornishware

Another walk around the block, this time with Eddie, we ventured out in the evening. We looked wistfully at the closed playground and church, made a circle around the bridge and the flood fields.
I liked the spot of red in this rather monochrome little alley.

Chez Maximka

On the same walk we looked up to see those white doves who live at the "ghost house", which is covered with vines and holds dozens of nests. We've never seen anyone coming in or out of the house, but apparently someone the house is not uninhabited and the owner uses the back door to enter it.

Chez Maximka, ghost house

I didn't cook a big feast for Easter, but we had an Italian cake Colomba and lots of chocolate eggs and Lindt bunnies.
It also made me think of our Easter lunches in Italy, when we celebrated with my in-laws, and when we stayed at home and had friends over. It feels like a lifetime ago.

Easter nest, Chez Maximka

Cressida Cowell was running a competition to draw a dragon of your own, with a description of its powers and skills. Eddie enjoyed drawing his dragon.
We don't know yet who has won the competition, there were hundreds of entries, with some very good drawings. The prize is a drawing by Cressida Cowell.


We miss visiting our local Waterstones. Thanks goodness, the online shops still work. Eddie and I recently read Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens, and enjoyed it so much, that Eddie asked me to buy book no.2 in the series. And of course, I couldn't resist getting something for myself as well - a thriller by Wendy Dranfield. I follow her on Twitter, but haven't read any of her books.

Chez Maximka, best books for kdis

I know many people are sceptical about clapping for the NHS (just read Mumsnet), but Eddie and I joined in last Thursday. I missed it last week, as I was reading to Sasha.
We were a bit early, and the street was empty. It's so strange to see no cars or people around.

Chez Maximka

More tulip pictures from the garden. My Mum planted the bulbs of the white tulips last year. I wish she could see all the beautiful flowers here.

Chez Maximka

And a screenshot of me chatting to Eddie on WhatsApp, while waiting in a queue to Waitrose. My face mask is rather fetching, isn't it?! It was a rainy day, but we needed the rain after so many warm dry days.

How did your Easter holidays go?


Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

20 comments:

  1. Ahh glad to see you're back. I noticed you weren't here last week and I was really hoping none of you were ill, particularly with coronavirus ! I giggled at your rant about Classic FM's Hall of Fame - I remember you mentioning this every year and it's so lovely to see a bit of normality ! The cloud looks very cool, as do the tulips - lovely to see a bit of colour and even lovelier to have a reminder of your mum. Good luck Eddie for the dragon competition -I love your entry and hope it wins! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, yes, I try to follow the countdown every year, when we are not abroad. I have just seen that the winner announcement will be made on Friday.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures, as always. I do like your picture with the mask on. Did you make it yourself? I want to make a couple of masks today or tomorrow, depending on my time. I just hope they will turn out ok, as in wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, this mask is not home-made, my mother-in-law posted a couple of masks for us. But I also have sewn a mask, watching some instructions online.

      Delete
  3. That face mask picture of you really sums up these times! The doves on the house are really intriguing. We join in with the NHS clapping every week. It's a nice thing to do, but I wouldn't judge anyone who chose not to!
    Your tulips are beautiful. I need to order some more books as I only two left to read now - I like to have about four left to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, you need to order more books!

      Delete
  4. Loving Eddies dragon! Those doves are different. Your tulips are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison, tulips are still open this week, though many of them are now gone.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a great Easter weekend listening to the countdown.
    The clouds around the sun really does look amazing.
    I think Marmite peanut butter would be my worst nightmare. I hate marmite and crunchy peanut butter. I know my girls would love it though.
    Well done to Eddie with his dragon & good luck to him in the competition.
    Fab photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, Marmite peanut butter is really not nice.

      Delete
  6. It is good to see you back. The dragon is fab, love it. Those tulips look lovely too. I love crunchy peanut butter. Not keen on marmite at all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. No change here for the easter holidays for me. I love marmite but not a big fan of peanut butter so I couldn't be buying it, now butter marmite would be a thing for me, if it was available. Good luck to Eddie with his dragon drawing. I've been clapping for the NHS, yes I think they should all be paid more, but I'm still clapping as they deserve the recognition, as do all keyworkers right now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so cool that your tweet was featured on the radio. The colour of the flower is intense. Lovely pictures of Eddie and with the biscuits. That's an interesting place where the pigeons are. I want to dive into those eggs. What's there to be skeptical about to clap for them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a classical music lover at all, hubby listens to it a lot when I am not it.
    Great angle for the tulip picture, and I like your splash of colour on the dull alley.
    Did the marmite spoil the taste of the biscuits?
    Nice he joins in with these competitions, good luck to him

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noone on our road seems to come out to clap...I think one or two did the first time and now they don't bother. The road behind us though it pretty noisy.

    Love the colour of the tulip. Clearly the doves are not scared of the ghost house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed A Murder Most Unladylike too, but I've yet to read the second book. Hope you enjoy it. Love Eddie's dragon - good luck to him in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I had known about that competition, Isaac adores how to train a dragon and would have loved to create his own

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a good Easter and nice to see you back. We like the Murder Most Unladylike books.
    Marmite and Peanut butter? not sure I could get behind that combo! Project 365

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot even imagine Marmite peanut butter, thank goodness! I will keep an eye out for those books as I'm always searching for new authors to entertain my eldest #project366

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I think we all just need some time off. That tulip picture is stunning and I hope that Eddie does well in the competition. I have also been buying online not books but plants. I hate marmite so I wouldnt have tried the peanut butter, great idea to make biscuits x

    ReplyDelete