Tuesday 14 April 2020

Oat cookies with Marmite peanut butter

Chez Maximka, easy cookies, red Cornishware


I'm not the biggest fan of Marmite, but I don't hate it either. I rarely fancy a smidgeon of it on a toast, but rather than this, I am not overly keen on sub-products which use Marmite as an ingredient. I've tried cheese with Marmite and crisps, and didn't like either.
You might have seen Marmite peanut butter in the supermarkets. There was a jar of it in the March Degustabox. My guys refused even to try it. I was brave, and had it spread on toast. It was way too salty to my taste.

In the current mood of "waste not, want not" I was wondering what to do with it.
Cookies are always a good option.
I tend to use a basic combination of ingredients to which I add different bits, but the main mix is the same - oats, flour, sugar, margarine, egg. I prefer to use margarine rather than butter, when baking cookies as they tend to keep their shape better (while for cakes I tend to use a real butter or oil).

Chez Maximka, easy cookies, what to do with Marmite peanut butter


Oat cookies with Marmite peanut butter (makes 18 cookies)
Ingredients:
80g caster sugar
100g margarine
100g oats
140g self-raising flour
1 medium egg
2 tbsp Marmite peanut butter
30g chocolate, chopped into small pieces

You can use any kind of chocolate in these cookies, from cooking Menier chocolate (milk, dark or white), to supermarket own brand. Maybe you've bought too many Easter eggs, so chop up the remains to add to the dough. Or use chocolate chips (I rarely buy them, as they are usually overpriced).
In this particular batch I used the leftovers of the Galaxy caramelised hazelnut vegan chocolate bar, which we didn't like much on its own.

Cream the margarine with sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the oats, flour, beat in the egg and Marmite peanut butter (optional). Using a fork, mix together, then use hands to form a ball of dough. Dust with more flour, if it's too sticky.
Pinch walnut-sized pieces of dough, roll in your hands into a ball, then flatten it into a cookie.
Place the cookies on the tray lined with foil or special baking sheet.
Put the tray in the oven , preheated to 180C. Bake for about 13 minutes until starting to get golden at the edges.
Do not keep in the oven for too long, unless you like very crispy cookies.
Please keep in mind, that the cookies will be very soft when you take the tray out.
Carefully transfer them to the cooling rack, and in a couple of minutes they are ready to eat.

My sons love warm cookies.
These soft cookies taste best on the same day, but will keep in a cookie tin for a couple of days.

Marmite peanut butter gives just a hint of saltiness, so it's not overpowering.

Have you tried Marmite peanut butter? Did you like it?

Chez Maximka, easy choc chip cookies

Chez Maximka, easy choc chip cookies


4 comments:

  1. These look very good and it's great you found a way to use the Marmite peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca! Once we finish the jar, I don't think we'll get it again.

      Delete
  2. Nobody was a fan in our house so I may have to make some of these !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl, the taste of the Marmite peanut butter is rather bizarre, isn't it?!

      Delete