Sunday 5 April 2020

Photo diary: week 14, project 366

I see people saying on Insta and Twitter just how much they manage to read these days, being in the lockdown. And I wonder, how do they do it? If anything, I have much less time to myself. With all the meals, helping with homework and generally keeping kids occupied, I hardly have any time.
My blogging schedule is in a total mess.
One book review was due yesterday, and I convinced myself it was due later in the month, and only discovered late last evening that it had to go live. Cue much panic, trying to finish writing the review, which I only just about managed at quarter to midnight. Thankfully, I read the book, and made some notes in advance.
Mood-wise, I was slightly calmer than the week before, though we had our moments. I also think we're getting more adjusted to the home-schooling routine.
We take turns to work with Eddie on his school work, monitoring him. He's been actually pretty good at it, not over-enthusiastic but accepting that he must do it. I wish there was more of a feedback from his teacher.
I've been reading on Mumsnet one of the parents complaining that her child's teacher calls every day to check on them. I wish we had at least one phone call, as I think that might motivate our child and also support him, and provide some sense of normality, that the school is there, just "behind the curtains". We've been struggling with the technical side of some of the tasks, and it would have been helpful if we could just ask how to do it.

I saw the sunlight shining through the window on Eddie's top and asked him to stop for a moment and pose for me.

Chez Maximka

I try not to go out in town unnecessarily but we've run out of bread, milk, eggs, and other essentials. I took a trolley bag with me, so I could carry enough food for several days. It was interesting to observe how bold the white doves have become, they were sitting in the middle of the road, until a lonely car passed through.

Talking to my Mum on the phone, she has she's got everything but really misses having milk and greens, and my brother cannot bring in the food, as the city is on a strict lockdown, and if he is seen visiting her (even just leaving the food outside her door), he would be fined, as he lives beyond the obligatory go-out zone.

Chez Maximka

We were startled to see Sasha's school transport waiting outside in the morning. Nobody told us that he was offered two days of school this week. A quick phone call to school confirmed that indeed they were expecting him on Tuesday and Friday. Mad dash to get him ready, but thankfully the transport waited a bit.
As Sasha is considered to be vulnerable (having a disability and EHCP), he can still attend school. They don't have enough staff for daily visits, but offered us two days per week, which we accept with gratitude, as it gives our son some semblance of normality.

He is very subdued these days, and cannot comprehend what is going on, why everyone has to stay at home, why we cannot go to the café, book shop or playground.

My husband was reading on the Italian news, some poor autistic child has destroyed the flat where he is confined with his parents. We're so lucky we have more space, and a garden. Even then, it is hard on our boy.

Eddie is working on several home-schooling sites, suggested by the school, including Seesaw, Spag, Ted Ed and something else.

Chez Maximka

I had to go out again, as the prescription was ready for collection. I stopped on the bridge to admire the beautiful magnolia in bloom, always a feast for eyes.

Witney, Bridge St, Chez Maximka

I fancied a bit of curry. I couldn't find any tinned chickpeas the last time I ventured food shopping. I wonder, if everyone is making hummus? But I had a pack of butternut squash, tinned peaches and aubergine, and it was a tasty combination.
The flatbread from the freezer wasn't the best, as it was very crumbly after being reheated in the oven. Maybe it is not supposed to be frozen.
I think I'll try to make my own next time I cook curry. Any good tips for homebaked naan? Last time I made it, it was rather heavy.

Chez Maximka

More food pics... Not very exciting, but if we are to stay at home, it's either the garden or the food images.

I saw a recipe for Teriyaki sausage pizza in a Kikkoman email newsletter, showed it to Eddie, and he wanted to try it. Thankfully I had a pizza base from Crosta & Mollica and some leftover Teriyaki sauce, plus frozen sausages. He said it was very good.

Crosta and Mollica, Kikkoman Teriyaki, Chez Maximka

Last week Thomas Taylor, the author of Malamander, was running a competition on social media, inviting children to draw Malamander, a sea monster from his book. We loved the book, and Eddie was happy to do a drawing.
Sadly, he didn't win anything, not even a r/u prize. I saw the winning entries, and yes, the first prize is a worthy winner. R/us are 50/50, I think Eddie's was pretty good, but then I am biased. Oh well, onwards and forwards.

What will the next week bring? Hope you're staying safe.

sea monster, Chez Maximka



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. The teriyaki pizza sounds really tasty. Glad Sasha has those 2 days of normality. N's teacher isn't contacting us either. They provided 2 weeks of work, then each week have sent an email detailing more information about each days english activity. I think we can email in work the children have done but we haven't. If you ring or email, they're evidently good at getting back to people. I might send in some of N's work in an effort to make him work harder rather than the poor attempts he's done so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! We don't have personalised emails, it is all just a generic inbox message for all students in class.

      Delete
  2. Magnolia trees are my favourite and that one is huge. Sorry to hear that Sasha is struggling but glad he gets a couple of days at school to help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kara, I love magnolias. Wish we had one in the garden, they are so beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I am struggling to find any time for myself too. It is hard keeping up with everything with the kids being at home.
    Oh no. The rules seem so strict with your mum and brother but I suppose fining people is a way to stop people going out.
    That is great that Sasha is still able to go to school a couple of days a week.
    That curry does look good and the pizza too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you're struggling with Eddie's school work, but good for him getting on with it. That must be a relief to have 2 days of school a week for Sasha, I hope you manage to get some time to yourself over those 2 days to restore your body and brain. Shame about your mum and brother not being able to drop off shopping. Hope everyone is well. I'll take you out for coffee and cake when this is over

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine that for many people not having to go to work and spend a lot of time commuting frees up time to read. Of course, everybody has different circumstances, so you shouldn't feel any pressure to read more. Sasha needs a bit more attention and that means you have less time. Also, how amazing is that he gets to get to school twice a week. It's great for everybody, for him, for Eddie, for you and your husband.
    The drawing is very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pizza looks amazing - hmmm I should look through the cupboards and see what we have that could be made into a homemade pizza. I've noticed that the wildlife seems a lot tamer at the moment too. I love the Malamander competition - shame he didn't win. Great for Sasha to have school, but they could have warned you ! I'm not reading much at the moment either - no time ! I'm looking forward to the holidays in a week's time, then I can finally focus on me and the kids rather than work !

    ReplyDelete
  7. great drawing, shame he was not a winner but they probably had more entries than normal with all kids being off.
    Glad things are starting to settle emotionally for you.
    Would never think to add peaches with veg for a curry, but then I am in the no camp for pineapple on pizza or with gammon steaks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you're struggling with Eddie's school work. It isn't easy to know what to do. I've let mine do what they have felt like down, but doing a decent amount. That must help having some school for Sasha. I hope you get some time to recover. That is a shame about the shopping. Hope you are ok. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Eddie's picture is fantastic! I would have definitely chosen it as a winner. It must be so hard for Sasha to understand what's going on, but it's good that he can at least go to school two days week. Your curry looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that first photo of Eddie and his drawing is fantastic. Glad that Sasha is able to go to school a couple of days a week and having some aspect of normality. I'm with you on feeling like I have less time than usual at the moment and more things to juggle. That view from the bridge with the magnolia is gorgeous. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eddie's drawing is great. Poor Sasha it must be hard for him. I think the school side has been easy for us as it's been well structured by the school. The only contact we have had though is an email to ask about a piece of work that hadn't been submitted - H had done it, but not pressed send.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news that Sasha can go two days a week. I hope that it is making it easier for him. I am with you I have zero time to myself trying to fit in normal work and homeschooling. Leaves no time for blogging at all. Curry looks good. I am sure many people buying the chickpeas will probably never use them. I find it all very frustrating. Hope you have a lovely Easter x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very good news about school having Sasha, helpful to keep him in a routine and space he is used to. Homeschool is not easy, and I actually properly homeschool one of mine, but it's different when it's thrust upon you and not what you are used to.
    I am also not getting much reading done, glad it's not just me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know you're adjusting. Th book review sounds hectic. You could contact the teachers for help. The lockdown is quite strict. Eddie must be happy being able to go to school but it's important to know that the more he goes out, the more risk he has of getting the virus. Lovely stream.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I both agree and disagree with you about the books! I have more time as I am doing less work but the food prep and constant demands for snacks are just mad! Home learning provides some normality although I'm not sure my 3 appreciate it! #project366

    ReplyDelete