Saturday 30 April 2016

Photo diary: week 17, 366

Last Sunday on Eddie's request we traipsed all the way to Sainsbury's, as he wanted a new pyjama. We had a little break in the cafe, with a latte for me and sweet popcorn for him. We're still looking for a perfect gift for a girl he "is going to marry", as her birthday is coming soon.


On Monday I was testing a recipe for a Corgi cake, created by Ed Kimber. It is a fun cake, but I struggled with it a bit, as the dog's ears kept falling off.


This week we had wet snow and hail almost every day. On Tuesday on the way home from school I kept anxiously looking up, as this big dark cloud was crawling upon us. We didn't make it home in time.


Some little people were happy to see the hailstones the next day, saying Mummy, happy Christmas. They were pretty small, and white, more snow than ice.


I admire these gorgeous white tulips every day on the way to school, they are simply stunning. I edited the photo into black and white so as not to distract from their beauty. When I was taking the photos, some random gentleman stopped by and started a conversation, and I did a hasty retreat. They are not in anybody's garden, just nearby the car parking area.


On Thursday I baked a "cheat" carrot cake, from an M&S carrot cake mix and Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting. It was quite good, Sasha liked it. Carrot cake is his favourite. I still prefer a carrot cake made from scratch, but this cake mix will do for emergencies. Not that keen on the frosting, it tastes nice, but there's a palm oil listed in the ingredients and quite a few of E-numbers, which obviously I wouldn't put in my homemade frosting, so I'll try to avoid it in the future.



Yesterday's hailstones were bigger and heavier. I was worried that they would ruin my pretty tulips in the garden, but thankfully they survived the onslaught.


Ed's very happy with the latest Degustabox, what, with two chocolate bars and a bag of Bebeto fruit strings. I tried a tiny bit of Bebeto, and they have a weird texture. Give me a Haribo pack any time.


7 comments:

  1. The weather has been crazy! I love that he has his future wife lined up already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, apparently his future wife already knows how she's going to call their kids. ;)

      Delete
  2. The corgi cake looks fun and your hailstones are enormous (we have had a lot of hail too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica! Thanks goodness, we had a much better week weather-wise since then.

      Delete
  3. we have had a lot of rotten weather here as well.
    I agree Santa should be here.
    I like the cake, but yes it looks fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the cake, it does look tricky to assemble. hope you managed to find the perfect gift for your son's future wife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll stick to plain frosting on cakes from now on, lol

      Delete