Monday 26 April 2021

Photo Diary: Week 16, Project 365

 It's been one of those weeks, when you feel listless. Thankfully, no drama of any sorts has happened, but I'm just going through a seasonal wave of feeling slowed down and empty, lacking energy and not sleeping well. My blog has been neglected for a week. If someone finds my mojo sauntering around, please send her back to me.

I'm very anxious for my elderly Mum in Russia, where the stats are far from reassuring. I miss her terribly, we haven't seen each other for a year and a half, and somehow it just hit me hard recently. 

We're sorting out Sasha's near future. Thankfully, he's been offered a place in college from September (did I mention that already?!), but as it is out of town and quite a long distance to travel, he would need his transport organised etc.

It's not all gloom and doom. Eddie and I have almost finished reading Hunger Games (book 1). Despite the fact we've only just watched the whole series, we're enjoying the book very much. It's such an original setting, with the most extraordinary characters.

Robins keep visiting me in the garden. I've put a little feeder for them, but of course, the fat chickens aka doves are there are well. They cannot hold onto the feeder, but walk underneath, looking for fallen crumbs.

Chez Maximka

Last autumn I planted a little Lonicera Japonica (edible honesuckle) in a big tub. It's doing quite well, and the first flower buds have appeared. It's very popular in Russia, and grows in the wild. The berries are sweet, and similar to blueberries. Don't know if I get any berries, as ideally you need two or three plants together for them to cross-pollinate.

Chez Maximka

Last year Ocado has dumped Waitrose (boo hoo!) and partnered with M&S, which is OK, but I still prefer Waitrose own products. They were running a competition, where you had to take a snap of their new Percy Pig truck. We kept an eye for them, but haven't spotted them anywhere. Of course, now that the competition is over, I had a delivery from Ocado in the Percy Pig truck. I had to take a snap to show Eddie that it actually exists.

Chez Maximka

I've had emails from Mediterranean Direct for a few years, but haven't bought anything from them recently (I did buy a gift hamper for my friend's 80th birthday once before).
We love Italian food, and they have a great selection of preserves, sweets and cheese. Sadly, I couldn't find any of my favourite Venchi chocolate.
Saffron-flavoured Pecorino is wonderful. I got a Slitti white chocolate bar for my husband, and he ate it in one go. Apparently, it was so good.

Chez Maximka

After a long time, my friend and I had our first coffee together. We were sitting outside, and my ass was pretty frozen on the icy cold chair. Italy it is not, to drink outside in the morning. Still, it was lovely to see my friend, and I surely enjoyed the latte.

Chez Maximka

The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner is one of the books I've read recently. I'm still editing my book review, but hope to publish it in a day or so. There's a dual timeline - present day and back to the 18C. The main protagonist is an apothecary who dispenses poisons to women to murder men who make their lives unbearable.

Chez Maximka, fiction about poisoners

Things that bring me joy - flowers in the garden. The red tulips have such an intense red colour.

And how was your week?

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Great news about Sasha! I'm really happy for you. It's funny that you call pigeons "chickens" and talk about this now because this is how we talk about the pigeons and I mentioned it today, in a post about my garden. That's a fun coincidence. :) Love the red tulip, it's gorgeous.

    I hope your mother is safe and she will remain safe. What's the situation with the vaccines in Russia? Is she going to have it or had it? Is only the Russian one available? Sending hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca! My Mum hasn't had the vaccination yet, she is waiting for her appointment. It's only the Russian vaccine there, Sputnik.

      Delete
    2. I hope she will get her appointment soon. xx

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better and more energised soon. What a worry about your mum. I hope she stays safe.
    Robins are so cute. We have one that has been visiting our garden.
    hehehe! The Percy Pig truck did make me smile. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine it must be so worrying being so far away from your mum. Hope she is doing ok and stays safe and well. Love the photo of the robin. I love seeing them in our garden too. Lovely to have a coffee with your friend even if it was a bit chilly. Beautiful photo of the tulip. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to have coffee at last with your friend and that Sasha's place is sorted, even if the transport is not as yet. I feel for you Galina, it's so hard not seeing parents. I nearly cried when Dad said he'd finally got his jab this week, actually seeing them though still seems so far away #365

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you're missing your mum, I really hope it's not too long before you can see her again. Really good news about Sasha's placement in September, hope you get the transport sorted

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely robin photo. We've got lots in our garden. Good news about Sasha's college place. Hopefully the transport gets sorted easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to read your anxieties about your mum but am glad that Sasha has a college place. Will you binge read all of the Hunger Games books?
    #project365

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have also lost my mojo so can totally relate. I am sorry about your mum it must be so difficult as you can not see her. Good news though about Sasha I hope you have managed to get his transport sorted. I know I want to see my friends but the thought of sitting out in the cold..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww bless you must be so hard with missing your mum, that's such a long time to go without seeing her. I hope that everyone keeps getting jabbed and life returns to normal quickly so you can be reunited. Love the percy pig truck but shame you spotted it after the competition closed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel for you not seeing your mum. I really hope travel to see family is permitted soon. It's just not all about holidays. I'm glad you have a college for Sasha. I have no idea what happens after school. I'm hoping we get given some direction. The Lost Apothecary sounds a very interesting read #365

    ReplyDelete