Monday 5 April 2021

Photo diary: week 13, project 365

Easter wouldn't be Easter for me without the Classic FM Hall of Fame countdown. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen with the radio on, and walk around the house with the iPhone, with the Classic FM app playing, so that I don't miss anything. If you're not familiar with the countdown, it takes place over four days of Easter holidays. You have to vote (in advance) for your favourite pieces of music. 

I tend to stick to the Russian composers. Masquerade Suite by Khachaturian has slightly fallen down to spot no.177 (18 down). I love this piece so much I keep telling my guys that I want it played at my funeral (that, and Dance me to the end of love by Leonard Cohen).

The Gadfly by Shostakovich has moved up to no.89 (up 33). I might have told you the family story before. My late Dad, bless him, was not a great reader. When he was wooing my Mum who's always been very bookish, he read The Gadfly by Ethel Lilian Voynich, trying to impress her. When I was born, he wanted to name me Ethel, Lilian or Gemma (the character from the book), all names would have sounded quite funny in Russia. Though I did fancy being called Gemma, when I was little. But I digress...

For my 3rd choice I voted tactically for Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no.2, as I would love The Lark Ascending to finally descend and fly away from its top position. Well, we'll find out this evening who wins the coveted no.1 position. I'd be actually happy with anything but the Lark.

Photo-wise, I was taking pictures inconsistenly, and not every day. These catkins are so fluffy, like bunny tails.

Chez Maximka

In the past most shops would be decorated for Easter, but as the shops are still in the lockdown, there is not much to see. Thankfully, The Teddy Bears of Witney didn't disappoint. One of their windows had Easter-themed teddies and bunnies.

Chez Maximka, Easter decorations
It was such a glorious sunny day, and I've taken a lot of pictures in the garden, mostly of the hyacinths, but also of thie beautiful butterfly. There was a yellow green butterfly fluttering around, but I couldn't catch it, as it wouldn't sit still long enough for me to make a snap.

Chez Maximka, spring garden

This is the view from my in-laws' balcony into the inner courtyard and the neighbours' magnolia tree this week. We used to go to Italy for Easter for many years, but stopped a couple of years ago. It's tricky to travel with Sash, who gets very anxious in the airports, and it's not fair on him. But I do miss seeing several generations of my Italians together, Ferrara at Easter (and Christmas) and having all that beautiful Italian food. 


Shopping at the weekend, Eddie begged me to buy him The Iron Man sunglasses. I managed to break my own sunglasses, which I only got last year, and had to get a new pair for myself. I opted for the Iron Man model as well, though a different shape and colour.

Chez Maximka

I am not good at botany, and don't know what this plant is called. It has a rather unpleasant smell, but looks so pretty. Snapped it in town, on the way home.


We started working on the Easter chocolate and hot cross buns days before the official day. 
Heston Blumenthal's creations for Waitrose are often hit and miss, but this year his mocha hot cross buns are a winner. They are soooo good. My strange children though didn't want to try them, well, more's for me.

And what's with the Easter eggs saga this year? I bought a few in advance as gifts for my guys, friends, Sasha's class mates (two big boxes of Creme eggs) and driver/assistant (Green & Black's milk eggs), but when I went to the shops on Wednesday, there was hardly anything left. On Friday the Easter shelves were absolutely empty. We wanted to get mini eggs for baking. I mean, mini eggs? Why is there a shortage? You can usually buy them in spades. In the past I enjoyed buying half-priced chocolate eggs in the shops, this year obviously it's not going to happen.
The Mumsnet, of course, called it the first world problem. And while I appreciate it's not a necessity and we will survive, I don't understand this shortage of Easter eggs. Boo hoo.

Did you manage to get all the chocolate eggs you wanted? And do you listen to the Hall of Fame countdown? Tell me what you've voted for? (If it's The Lark Ascending, I will give you a dirty look).




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Ahh! I only know of the Classic FM Hall of Fame countdown because of you! I remember you mentioning it last year.
    What a cute Easter window.
    I was running around the garden chasing butterflies trying to get a photo last week. lol
    Iron Man sunglasses are cool.
    I have read about the shortage of Easter eggs. It is a thing but our local shop still had a few in on Friday. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture with the peacock butterfly and the one with the magnolia tree. Eddie looks great with his new glasses.
    We bought our Easter eggs a long time ago. We had a EggPlant from M&S, a set of 3 from ASDA, and 2 more from the free-from range at Sainsbury's. I could have bought more but decided against as it's only the two of us and that's a lot of chocolate. All the eggs were amazing, I'm so happy with the vegan options, they are really tasty, we are not missing out at all.
    I don't understand the "first world problem", we can't complain of anything because we have running water and a toilet indoors? It's bonkers. I think the shops decided to order low and so they didn't have to reduce the price after Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a shame that the Lark Ascending still held on to the top spot – would have been nice to have a bit of a change there! Love the Easter display with the teddy bear. Love the photo of Eddie with his Iron Man sunglasses. Mocha hot cross buns sound yummy. It seemed like a lot of places sold out of Easter eggs early this year. I was relieved that I’d been organised and bought the children’s eggs early this year. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that Latin name but we called a flowering currant - Mum and I had one in our gardens in Banbury back in the day. Keep meaning to find one for our garden here. Eddie looks very cool in his new glasses #365

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is a great capture of the butterfly!

    I hadn't realised there was an easter egg shortage. I had got the girls a couple of chocolate eggs beforehand and then some chocolate bunnies after easter ended!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't find any mini eggs and I wanted to make Easter nests with the kids. I haven't heard of Iron Man sunglasses. I will have to look that up. I love the teddy bear in the window #365

    ReplyDelete
  7. We sold out of easter eggs by the Thursday before. I think a lot of people left in late in the hope that they would be reduced like last year. Thankfully I got all mine early. Love that you listen to classical music, I love it live but not so keen on it on the radio

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you I do not really understand the egg shortage! Luckily I was organised this year although many a year I am not. I only had the husbands to buy but couldn't get him an egg he would like so settled just for chocolate. I would love to be in Italy right now. No heard of Iron Man sunglasses before will have to have a look our for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There were loads of Easter eggs a few weeks ago but lots of people left it to the last minute. I didn't bother with them as I'm not a huge fan of vegan chocolate. Love the butterfly pic. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fab window display from Teddy Bears of Witney, very cute! We managed to get the eggs we needed, but there weren't many left over on the cheap after the event, usually you can get some decent bargains but they only had a handful left! I would love to visit Italy for the food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy listening to classical music too, we tend to put it on when eating dinner or listen to it in the car. My favourite piece is Canon in D Minor.

    Love that Teddy bear it's so cute, really wish our area had done something like that it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If only to wind you up, I love the Lark Ascending, don't relate much to the violin representing the lark though. I'm sure that flower is a red flowering currant, it popped up as a question in a facebook gardening group this week, something like Ribes xxxx for its latin name. Which Easter time do you celebrate. UK or the Russian timings?

    ReplyDelete