Friday 30 April 2021

The Single Mums' Book Club by Victoria Cooke (Read the extract)

 

books about fictional book clubs

We can never have enough books about fictional book clubs, can we?! Sharing love of books, and forging friendships along the way could be very rewarding.

The Single Mums’ Book Club

Three friends, three single mums, one quest to find love…

It’s 8:30am and I’m already utterly exhausted. My son has lost his football boots, my daughter is ready for school dressed only in her vest and knickers, and of course, my 1-year-old has filled his nappy for what feels like the tenth time this morning.

As for my husband? He’s decided marriage doesn’t suit him, and well… buggered off.

All hope of ‘me time’ has but dwindled to sipping half a glass of wine whilst shouting after the kids. But everything is about to change.

I’m taking control of my life! I’ve joined… a book club.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. ‘Wow… live a little.’ But my fellow book clubbers, Amanda and Janey, are my lifelines. They understand the daily struggle because they’re mothers too.

And in between the prosecco, Doritos and googling everything about Mr Darcy on SparkNotes, they’ve convinced me to go on a date with my boss.

A single mum of three looking for romance… what could possibly go wrong?

A gloriously funny and relatable read for anyone who just needs a little more ‘me time’. Fans of Why Mummy Drinks and Has Anyone Seen my Sex Life? will snort with laughter at this utterly hilarious and heart-warming read.

Author Bio – 


Victoria Cooke grew up in the city of Manchester before crossing the Pennines in pursuit of a career in education. She now lives in Huddersfield with her husband and two young daughters and when she's not at home writing by the fire with a cup of coffee in hand, she loves working out in the gym and travelling. Victoria was first published at the tender age of eight by her classroom teacher who saw potential in a six-page story about an invisible man. Since then she's always had a passion for reading and writing, undertaking several writers' courses before completing her first novel, 'The Secret to Falling in Love,' in 2016.

Her third novel, Who Needs Men Anyway? became a digital bestseller in 2018 and her debut, The Secret fo Falling in Love was optioned in 2020.


books about book clubs



Social Media Links – 

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16345710.Victoria_Cooke


https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaCookeAuthor/


https://twitter.com/VictoriaCooke10


https://www.instagram.com/victoriacookewriter/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now you are invited to read a sample from The Single Mums'Book Club. My thanks to Victoria Cooke for sharing an extract from her book!


This opening scene throws us straight into the chaos of Stephanie’s single mum life.  

 

‘Ava, are your teeth brushed yet?’ I yell up the stairs in vain. When I scoop Henry out of the baby chair, I notice his nappy is swollen and damp. ‘Bugger.’  

‘Coming, Mummy.’ The light thud of Ava’s feet travels down the stairs. I look her over in horror.  

‘It’s half past eight and you’re not even dressed!’ I sound like a banshee as I do most mornings because most mornings, Ava really likes to test my patience and after another sleepless night, I’m on the edge.  

‘I had a cut on my knee so I put some wet tissue on it and—’  

‘And nothing. Get your uniform on now!’  

‘But, Mummy!’  

Give me strength.  

Henry starts to scream. ‘Ava, you have one minute to get dressed or I’m taking you to school in your vest and knickers. I mean it.’  

‘Mum, where are my football boots?’  

‘Oh, Ralph, I don’t know – you had them on in the garden the other day. Try the utility room.’  

Henry is still screaming. It’s now eight-forty. ‘Ava?’  

‘Coming, Mummy.’ She appears in the kitchen, thankfully, for the most part, dressed bar her tie but I’ll tolerate the disapproving looks at the school gate for one day.  

Otis, our dog, is doing supersonic circles at the prospect of a walk to school.  

‘Sorry, Otis, we’re running late today.’ He doesn’t get it; instead, he’s the only one sitting nicely by the door ready to go. ‘Okay, let’s get to the car,’ I say, thrusting a banana in Ava’s little hand.  

‘But I haven’t got my shoes on.’  

‘Put them on in the car,’ I say, shepherding her to the front door. Henry is still screaming – his cheeks red and puffy – but I haven’t got time to change him now.  

‘Ralph?’  

‘I’m here,’ he says, banging his football boots so big clumps of mud fall all over the hallway floor. I sigh but say nothing because I don’t have time to argue.  

‘Take your brother,’ I say, pushing Henry into his arms and scooping Ava into my own. ‘Right, let’s go!’  

The school bell rings as we pull up outside. ‘Ralph, take Ava to her teacher and run – I’ll watch you from here.’  

‘Okay, Mum.’  

‘Love you both,’ I say as they climb out.  

There’s a moment of silence whilst Henry looks out of the window. I sit and breathe for a moment, relishing the tiny slice of tranquillity before the torture of Monday supermarket shopping begins. As I put the car into gear, Henry wails again, prompting me to realise I’ve forgotten the changing bag.  

‘Buggering hell!’ I do a U-turn and a car honks at me because there’s an unwritten rule about not reversing near the school gate. I wave apologetically hoping it’s another bedraggled mother who’ll give me a sympathetic smile. It isn’t. It’s a smart-looking lady in a flashy BMW who looks less than impressed at having to stop and wait for my U-turn (okay, three, maybe five-point turn).  

When I’ve retrieved the changing bag and Henry is changed and happy, I make it to the supermarket. It’s a small victory that I’ve remembered my carrier bags and I’m feeling ready for the challenge of battling with the trolley. As I’m unbuckling Henry’s car seat, my phone pings. It’s a message from school. Hoping there isn’t another outbreak of nits, I open it.  

URGENT REMINDERS  

Please could all parents / carers remember that children must be accompanied onto the school grounds by an adult as per our safeguarding policy. We’d also like to remind you that as part of our commitment to keeping your children safe, cars are not permitted to turn around outside the school gates.  

I chuck my phone into the footwell. ‘Oh bugger off!’  


books about fictional book clubs


 

No comments:

Post a Comment