Sunday 11 April 2021

Photo diary: week 14, project 365

 The weather can't decide, what it's going to be. On Easter Sunday we had sunshine before lunch, and snowflakes melting mid-air in the afternoon. I had to cover up the potted tulips, as I was worried they might not endure the frost well, then uncover, then cover again. It was as if the weather was playing silly games with us.

I cooked most of the Easter lunch apart from the dessert, which was a winter berries meringue wreath from M&S. It was tasty but a pain to slice, even after it was completely defrosted, so after I took the pretty photo and started to cut, the cake was a big mess of broken meringues, cream and berries. Though nobody complained. 

Chez Maximka, M&S desserts

On Monday morning we had a long walk around town, catching Pokemons. I saw this funny-shaped cloud, and thought it looked like an angry bear trying to swallow the small cloud.

Chez Maximka, cloud shapes

I've been feeling stressed recently, and when I am, I turn to retail therapy and buy books. Whenever I read an interesting review, either online or in the newspaper, I add the books to my TBR list, and regularly go through it, checking if the price has gone down. Truly bad habit. This is the stash I bought in the last few weeks.
I follow quite a few authors seen below on Twitter, like Robin Morgan-Bentley, Matt Haig, Maisie Thomas, Amanda James etc. 

I started reading Sisters by Daisy Johnson. It had great reviews which must have influenced my choice. I'm half-way through, and so far not impressed. The author tries very hard to be edgy-intellectual. The style of writing is convoluted, and there are big passages with hardly any punctuation. I want to finish it, and hope my first impressions are wrong. Have you read Sisters?

Chez Maximka, Sisters by Daisy Johnson

More cloud shapes - this one made me think of an angel flying horizontally over the trees, with his beautifully shaped wing.

Chez Maximka

The sight of chickens roaming around always makes me think of my grandma who kept chickens. She lived at the end of the village, with the forest blending into the garden, and steppes all around. 
This lovely view is of the Cogges Manor Farm. We didn't venture inside the compound, as the air was nippy. Hopefully once the weather makes up its mind and gets warm properly, we can visit Cogges and look at the beautiful garden.

Chez Maximka, chickens

After the Mother's day was over, our local Waitrose had lots of potted plants at reduced price. I bought a pot with white hyacinths. They are in full bloom now, and the scent is so delicate and beautiful. The hyacinths in the garden are almost all wilted now, and I'm still waiting for the pricey tulips from the garden centre to start to bloom. 
I have quite a lot of red tulips along the garden path, which grow "in the wild", i.e. I never feed them or do anything, they just reappear every year, strong and intensely red.

Chez Maximka, spring flowers
My Mum was looking through her boxes of old photos, and have dug out this picture of me, when I was in my early 20s. She asked my brother to scan it and send to me. I think I was in my 1980s modern romantics' stage, wearing floaty long dresses and lacy tops. I loved that vintage top, it belonged to a friend of my Mum's who's found it in her closet from her younger days. It was knitted from white cotton thread, and I have added tiny little pearly beads along the edges. 

When I look at the photo now, I think I was very pretty, but I was so insecure about my appearance.  And gosh, my head was so full of romantic nonsense. It didn't help that the boy I fancied didn't even notice me. I wish I could tell my younger self not to fret, and that the boy I was pining for, was just not right for me. 

On a different topic, we watched Hunger Games (first two films) for two evenings in a row. I didn't expect that I would be so involved emotionally. 

And how was your week?

Chez Maximka



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. The weather has been crazy. At least it's sunny here today, it's still cold though.
    Your Easter dessert looks amazing!
    That cloud, to me looks like a a rat trying to eat the smaller cloud. hehehe
    The pile of books is impressive. Happy reading.
    I love that old photo of you. You were and still are beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a message but it disappeared into the abyss. So, I will re-write it.

    First, you look gorgeous in the picture, not only pretty. It's funny how much we change and discover that what we believed in our 20s is not what we believe in the early 30s or over.
    I mentioned that I would love to read the Jefferson's Daughters. I am curious about the book about Tintagel. In our holiday in Cornwall we've been to Tintagel, but it was closed at that point, so I would love to go again and visit the castle too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks lovely! Your pile of books looks like mine. I've not read sisters.

    That photo of you is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look very elegant in that shot. Wow your book pile is larger than mine! #365

    ReplyDelete
  5. That winter berries meringue wreath does look delicious but I can imagine it was a mess to slice up! That cloud does look like an angry bear trying to swallow the small cloud and I can see the angel wing on the other cloud photo. You have quite a TBR pile – I’ve not read any of those but there are a couple of them on my own TBR list. Love the photo of you in your 20s – you look beautiful and I love that top. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that berry meringue looks amazing - will look out for it when I am next in M&S. That is a beautiful photo of you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you have been feeling stressed!

    That winter berries meringue wreath looks so tasty!

    Oh wow that is a beautiful photo of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The meringue wreath looks lovely! I need to head to M&S and stock up on desserts. Gosh that's quite a stash of books. I will have to remember the titles when I need a new book. How lucky your tulips keep coming back. I would love some tulips in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the Hunger Games books and films. Yes, the weather was so strange with sun and snow within hours. Love the tower of books, I've only read one from it (The Wreckage and it was fab!) #project365

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely photo of you. I bought a stash of books at the airport, Richard and Judy reads and buy one, 2nd half price.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dessert looks delicious! We had similar weather over Easter it really could not make its mind up. The picture of you in your 20s is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dessert looks amazing. I love that photo of you, you are so pretty. Wouldn't it be great if you could go back to talk to your younger self. There are a few things I would give myself a talking to about lol. I love the hunger games. I ready the books first. One of them I read in a day as I was so hooked #365

    ReplyDelete