Monday 19 April 2021

Photo diary: week 15, project 365

 Easter holidays seemed longer than usual, but it's back to school today. The morning passed in a blur, nobody was enthusiastic about getting up earlier. Sash was quite excited, as he missed his school, and he kept showing me pictures and PECs of school - his way of asking when he would be going back.

Looking back at the week, we didn't do much. We finished watching all four Hunger Games films, which I absolutely loved, and will be happy to watch again in the future. For some reason it resonated with me. We even started reading the first book together. 

I posted several book reviews, including for The Lamplighters by Emma Stonex, which I found fascinating and beautifully written. It is a ghsot story, set in Cornwall, but it's also much more than that. It's an exploration of grief, and mental anguish. 

Chez Maximka


Our friends invited us for an hour of tennis at the Leys. I wasn't sure if we would be able to go, as we woke up to a layer of snow on the ground. Not exactly a tennis weather.

We walked to the tennis courts past the church: the daffodils were poking out like yellow rebels from the snow. I didn't realise my iphone touched the drops on the flowers, so the snap appears slightly ghostly, with the flower's stem almost invisible and the flower "floating" in the air.

St Mary's church, Witney, Chez Maximka

An hour later it got so hot at the courts, that we had to take off the coats. Utterly crazy weather. On the way home we visited the book shop, where we bought Hunger Games book 1. This was the first and only non-food shop we've visited in a while. 


Eddie spent quite a lot of time, playing in the garden. He loves climbing on the apple tree. This is a snap taken by my husband. 
The red car in the background is an old bed which we bought for Eddie several years ago. It was the worst purchase of my life. He hated it so much, he probably slept only one night through in it. It is made of hard plastic, and when he moved around, it made loud banging noises, and was also super uncomfortable. It's been in the shed for some time, and I am thinking of turning it into a bedding frame for flowers.

Chez Maximka

This week has seen a caterpillar cake war on social media. M&S is claiming Colin the Caterpillar cake and suing Aldi for the copyright. Except that all the other supermarkets have the same style cakes. Every single store. There are some amusing tweets on the topic.

Chez Maximka



On Friday Eddie had a friend over for a day. And again, it was one of the firsts in a long while. I didn't mean them to spend just so many hours together, but they had so much fun.

Chez Maximka

On Saturday the Brits said Farewell to the Duke of Edinburgh. We didn't watch the whole ceremony, as we were out, and only caught the very end. We did observe the minute of silence at 3pm. 

I've read that thousands of people lodged complaints to the BBC about the non-stop coverage of the Duke's life on the day when his death was announced. Could they not have found a different channel among hundreds? With so many good causes to fight for they choose this occasion to complain? 

I'm not a Royalist at all, but reading about these complaints truly irked me. Where is the so called national tolerance? "...send not to know For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee".

Chez Maximka

And how was your week?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. Exactly, don't like it, turn over or turn off. I don't understand people's total lack of respect these days. Sorry that the bed was a nightmare, but sounds like an interesting garden project #365

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bed looks pretty in the garden though. It's one of those things that are nice as an idea, but horrible when used.

    I am a Royalist, always been, but I would have been annoyed by any complaints regardless of what they were complaining about. There are plenty of other channels to watch, besides Amazon and Netflix. Prince Philip was a war veteran who made a real impact in the lives of millions with his Duke of Edinburgh award. I watched the ceremony and commemorated as we could, with the restrictions we have in place right now. In a couple of days is the Queen's birthday and I can't even imagine how she must feel now, alone after being married for 73 years. It's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Easter holidays did seem to last a long time. My youngest went back today.
    I love the Hunger Games films. I have the books but have never read them.
    The weather has been crazy the lately.
    Filling the car bed with flowers is such a fun idea.
    The Caterpillar cake drama has made me chuckle. It's still going on today. Eesh. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the slightly ghostly photo of the daffodil in the snow next to the tombstone and the photo of Eddie in the tree. The tweets about the caterpillar cakes have made me smile. I’m with you about the complaints – it’s not as though there aren’t plenty of other channels to watch and it was only one day after all. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been keeping up with cake wars: very amusing! I hope the red bed manages to have a use... #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do sometimes wonder if people complain just to be controversial and try and annoy others. Either way it is wrong. Like the idea of making the bed into a flower bed. I have seen the odd tweet on the caterpillar cake and it did make me chuckle they have some good social media managers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eddie looks so much older now in that photo of him sitting down. Glad you got to play tennis - nice to see some public courts. Round here there's only 3 in the whole of town and surrounding villages. I've loved he Colin caterpillar drama. So funny.

    I like the royals, but I have to agree with people complaining. I wasn't watching tv really during the day so it didn't impact me, but I don't understand why they had the same programming on BBC1 and 2. Why not just on one channel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think using the bed frame for planting is an excellent idea. I'm a Royalist, as in I believe in the Royal fan but I'm not a fanatic or too impressed with the next generations, although it is time for a change to reflect on todays society. I wasn't happy with all the coverage either but because I've never felt the media and tv channels have been favourable towards the Prince so find it ironic they then give him the coverage he didn't actually want anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Hunger game films, always an excellent choice they are. That's a good idea making the car bed frame into a bedding frame for flowers. Least you will feel you had some use out of it then. Yes the weather has been a bit all over the place lately, I am hoping for more sunshine from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't get the whole caterpillar row but I did enjoy the A Team Meme that was going around. The weather has been crazy, hasn't it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you liked the Hunger Games films and that you have started reading the books. I loved seeing all the caterpillar tweets. I didn't like all the complaints about the Duke of Edinburgh coverage. I must admit we had to deal with a meltdown as the TV wasn't what is should be but I was expecting the coverage #365

    ReplyDelete