Sunday 7 June 2020

Photo diary: week 23, project 366

Every week I tell myself that I need to be more organised: read, blog, declutter, but my good intentions somehow don't quite materialise. I seem to be doing an endless, thankless chore-fest. Now that everyone is at home, I seem to be cooking non-stop, homeschooling, gardening.

Eddie follows me like a tail, he wants us to watch films together and read together, I sigh and oblige.
And while I don't mind watching Alex Rider series, it takes away my precious time which could be used more productively.
Have you heard of Carlo Goldoni's The servant of two masters? Well, I'm a servant of three masters.

Last Sunday I saw this tiny critter on the wild iris in the garden. Its legs were almost transparent green.

English garden, Chez Maximka

The creeper at the front of the house has totally overgrown, and that's another task I've been postponing. Monday was a sunny day, and there were shadows from the creeper in the entrance hall, by the vintage mirror.

Chez Maximka, vintage mirror

Walking in town, I love seeing the changes in nature through the seasons. These beautiful red leaves of acer rubrum will grow dark green in autumn, the opposite of what many other plants do, going from green to red.

Chez Maximka

I had to go to the pharmacy, and waved Good bye to Eddie. I rather like this picture, with reflections in the window.

Chez Maximka

In the last weeks I've been adding quite a few of Eddie's drawings to my Instagram, where we were spotted by Topkidart. They've re-posted three of Eddie's works (the dog, the cat and the Harlequin) among many others created by children.
If you have kids who love to draw and paint, give them a tag and a follow. They have a lovely gallery.

Chez Maximka

I know it sounds awful but there are days when I crave solitude. I'm not a social animal in the best of times, and enjoy being on my own, when children are at school and DH is in his office, doing things at my own pace, savouring the quietness. Being constantly surrounded by people, even those whom I love the most, I find it testing at times. So, I volunteer to go shopping, just to escape for an hour. (please don't scorn me, I know many people are struggling on their own and crave company)
This aeroplane was flying low over the town centre.

Chez Maximka

We continue doing Seesaw (homeschooling app) tasks with Eddie. There are several tasks based on Tom's Midnight Garden. One of the latest assignments was to read a couple of pages from the book, then imagine what the garden looks like and do a drawing, and only then turn the page and look at what the illustrator did. This is Eddie's drawing, which he did the day before, while I was gone shopping.

children's art, Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

20 comments:

  1. I fully understand your need to be on your own sometimes, I've felt like that in the past when the children were at home, it's my circumstances that mean I am on my own during lockdown, usually I have the choice to just hop on a plane and fly home. It's very difficult and different for everyone in a variety of ways. I love Eddies drawings, great to have them feature on topkidart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, I was thinking of you, when I wrote that, knowing that you're on your own.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see the garden coming to life - the creeper looks great in the shadows ! Eddie is doing some great artwork. It's lovely for him to get some recognition. And I completely understand you wanting some time on your own. What would they all do if we weren't there ?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, the creeper is turning the entrance door into the jungle, it's a bit embarrassing now, I really need to trim it.

      Delete
  3. I think too much of anything be it company or solitude can be a bad thing if it doesn't suit you. I am having a similar experience in terms of getting things done - I have cherry picked my tasks like the garden and neglected the house, and the cooking doesn't seem to stop. Well done to Eddie on having his drawings picked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica, the home chores seem to be such a thankless task. I am totally lacking mojo in that department.

      Delete
  4. You can do something else, like organising a book club at home, 30 minutes to an hour, on a Sunday, where everybody in the house talks about the books they read. This might entice Eddie to read on its own more and allow you to read the books you want to read. It's not my idea, I know a parent who does that and I thought it's amazing.
    My mother and I used to chat about the books I was reading, as a child, but it wasn't a specific time on a specific day, which I think is better. This way the child might be eager to finish the book and needs to build arguments to discuss the book. Just a thought, I hope you don't mind. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, Eddie does read quite a lot on his own, when I'm doing cooking or some other things, and he loves to discuss and comment on what he reads. We're also watching Alex Rider on Amazon, and Eddie read the first couple of books. Only 11 more to go.

      Delete
  5. I've been enjoying Eddie's art on Instagram. I'm not surprised it has been picked up by topkidart, he's very talented! I can understand you craving solitude. I used to love my time on my own when my husband was at work and the kids were at school. I'm actually surprised at how well I've adjusted to having them all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, I'm glad that Eddie's enjoying drawing. I was constantly drawing and doodling at his age.

      Delete
  6. Hahaha, aww there there....Lovely read leaves. Bye, Eddie! Wow, it looks like a great gallery to showcase children's work. Solitude is totally understandable, I enjoy it very much as it gives me peace of mind and the world doesn't seem to be running fast. Cute drawing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you on the solitude. Need a break from everyone for a while!

    Well done on the drawings being featured!

    Your iris's are lovely and clearly attracting the wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see the garden coming to life, the creeper looks great. Eddie is doing some fab artwork. And I completely understand you wanting some time on your own. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only me and hubby here and at times I just want some time to myself, love him but oh boy he does my head in at times.
    At least a trip to the shop was a bit of me time for you. Take it Eddie is feeling stressed as he feels the need to be your tail?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My good intentions for the week usually last until Monday lunchtime and then they are long forgotten! I've realised getting through lockdown with some sanity means just winging it sometimes!
    I totally love acer trees when their leaves are red, an old neighbour used to have some in her front garden and they were always so beautiful to look at! The image of the plane is crazy, we are so used to planes being in the sky yet seems odd to spot one these days! We've been watching Alex Rider too, it's certainly easy watching - Liv is happy and I can crack on with work at the same time! Hope you have had a lovely week! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our homeschool stuff is on seesaw. It drives me insane as not particularly user friendly. Well done to Eddie on his drawings being featured

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes I’m with you on feeling like life can be an endless chore-fest at the moment too, especially feeling like I’m constantly preparing meals of some sort and I have moments of craving solitude too. Getting out for a walk on my own is always a joy. That’s a fascinating little bug on the wild iris. How lovely that Eddie’s drawings were reposted by topkidart. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am totally the same always starting the week with a to do list that I never quite get to any of it. I am not sure how I find it so frustrating!! Lovely that Eddies work has ben featured. He is very talented. Hope you managed some alone time this week, I think its perfectly normal to crave that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have noticed a few more planes this week. How lovely for Eddie's pictures to be featured: well done! #project366

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww bless you totally agree about the chore fest, never seems enough time to catch up with everything, its exhausting. How lovely that they shared his pictures, he is very talented! You will never have judgement from me for wanting a little time to yourself, its the kind of self care we need sometimes x

    ReplyDelete