Sunday 14 June 2020

Photo diary: week 24, project 366

Social media could be a blood pressure raising tool. In the last week there was so much hate posted, and accusations thrown around, that at times all I wanted to do was to look at the pictures of flowers and fluffy kittens.
It was a difficult week for me personally as well, as my Mum has been quite unwell for several days. My brother helps as much as he can, but I'm totally helpless, can't do anything, being thousands of miles away.

On the positive side, Eddie's a real book worm. At the start of the year I opened a Goodreads account in his name, and he put a goal of reading 35 books this year. Well, believe it or not, he's already beaten his own goal!

The other day I was checking my Facebook Memories, when a post from four years ago popped up. Eddie's school (like many other schools in the UK) was celebrating the Queen's 90th birthday. Eddie was very excited about it, but when I came to collect him, he said in a disappointed voice: "There were lots of people, but the Queen didn't come". It tickled me to think that my little boy was expecting the Queen to arrive.
He still cracks me up with his jokes.

Tomorrow we're reaching a new stage of the lockdown, with shops selling non-essentials getting open. Not sure if I'd rush into the shops, though I do need new shoes urgently, mine are looking like they're not going to last much longer. I can't buy shoes online, as I have "difficult" feet, and need to try the shoes on. I hate shoe-shopping, it's always such a chore for me.
We can't wait for Waterstones to be open. Not that we don't have enough books, but we missed visiting the book shop.

Last Sunday I was walking in High St and spotted that Huffkins cafe was open for takeaways. They have the tastiest eclairs in town. I got a strawberry eclair and a rocky road for my boys.

Chez Maximka

Eddie's year is studying The BGF right now, with daily tasks. They sent a link to an audio book, but we prefer a real book, it's also much easier to use as a reference, when you need, for example, to find all the words and phrases which describe movement in a chapter.
One of the tasks was to do a drawing of the BFG, when Sophie first spots him.

children's art, Chez Maximka

Our local manor farm Cogges has opened its grounds to the seasonal ticket holders. My husband decided to get tickets for himself and Eddie. So far, the play area is not opened, and there is not much to see, except their beautiful walled kitchen garden and some animals.
This photo of Eddie at Cogges was taken by my husband.

Cogges manor farm, Chez Maximka

On Wednesday we attended a celebration of life event at the cemetery. Our friends' daughter would have turned 18. She died last year. She was one of Sasha's class mates.
It was raining earlier, and I wasn't sure if we'd be able to attend if it kept raining.
The cemetery is on a hill outside the town, in a serene, peaceful location, with the wild flowers all around.

Chez Maximka

Eddie and I have seen quite a few rainbow stacks of books on social media, and fancied making our own. We chose a few of our favourite authors. Since we have all Cressida Cowell's books, it could have been just a rainbow of her books, or Liz Pichon's, or Robin Stevens, since they tend to have book covers in different colours.

Toothless, Cressida Cowell, Chez Maximka

I've mentioned the "ghost house" in the neighbourhood before, with the façade completely overgrown with the creepers. It's a home to a big number of white doves, who have nests in all windows.

Chez Maximka

I made a tomato salad a few days ago, with Galbani burrata and Newman's Own Italian dressing, and tagged them in my Insta story. Newman's Own re-posted my photo in their story, and called it perfect.
It made me smile.

Chez Maximka, @realmaximka25

What have you been up to in the last week? And do you plan to hit the shops now that they are re-opening?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. Over the past week I have blocked quite a few people on social media. I hope your mum is feeling better soon. That did make me chuckle about the queen not visiting Eddie's school. Kids do say the funniest things.
    We won't be rushing out shopping either but both of my girls need new trainers and I won't buy them online as I like them to try them on.
    What a treat to get the takeaway cakes. Yum, yum!
    Ahh! I used to love the BFG when I was a child. My girls loved it too.
    Fab photos x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your mum's doing ok - it's so horrible to be stuck miles away and not be able to do anything to help :( I don't go on social media any more really. Too much hate and petty arguments going on ! I've heard some pretty shocking statements from people in real life this week though, which is quite shocking :-/ It's good that life is slowly getting back to normal. I went into town but only went to one food shop - most clothes shops etc have a maximum of 2 or 3 customers at a time apparently over here. Not sure if it's the same in England? I hope you got something for yourself as well as the boys in the cake shop !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on social media. I have exams this week (later today is the first one) and I just did not need all that hate.
    Sorry to hear that your mother is not well. I hope she will recover soon. Sending hugs xx
    I'm not bothered that the shops opened, but I love that the safari parks and the zoos are opening. We already got tickets for a nearby safari park, we are members but we needed tickets as well, to make sure there aren't too many people in the park at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your mum starts to feel better soon. What a worry when you are so far away. The service for your friend's daughter must have been very emotional. Your salad does look brilliant, so I'm not surprised it was picked up for the Instagram account. I'm in no rush to go to the shops either, although my son desperately needs some new trainers - he's been wearing an old pair of his dad's for most of lockdown after his own fell apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How's your mum now?. Hope she's feeling a little better. Hopefully the rain held off for you at the cemetery to remember Sasha's class mate. The cakes looks stunning, would love one of the pink eclairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your mum's on the mend. We won't be going out to any shops soon, apart from the local one for food top ups. Love the rainbow books. Looks very cheery, and well done Eddie on his reading challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. True, social media has gone crazy in my country too. Ohh I hope your mom is alright. Aww poor Eddie. The eclairs looks delicious. Cool BFG drawing. Cool rainbow arrangement of books & TOOTHLESS!!! Wow, cool salad and cool for it to be reposted by the company

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rainbow stack of books is something I've not seen before. I wonder if myself and H could do one each. Hope your mum is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had enough of social media too and was on the verge of deleting mine! Hope your mum is feeling better now.

    I am not planning on going to any shops either but Bee does need sandals and like you she has to try them on. Maybe in a week or two

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your mum is feeling better soon. That did make me laugh about the queen not visiting Eddie's school, kids are funny. We won't be rushing out shopping either. What a treat to get the takeaway cakes. Lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear that your mum was unwell – I can imagine it must be very hard being far away at times like that. I hope she is better now. Eddie expecting the Queen to come to the school made me smile. The strawberry éclair looks delicious. Love Eddie’s drawing of the BFG – we’ve just started reading it with Sophie. How lovely to be able to get out for a walk at Cogges. I’m glad you were able to attend the celebration of life for one of Sasha’s class mates. Love the rainbow stack of books. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't normally like eclairs, but that looks amazing! I'd struggle choosing between that and the Rocky Road... and I LOVE Rocky Road!
    I hope you are both well and having a lovely week - well done to Eddie on already beating his goal of 35 books! I've already beaten my record of reading more than one book this year. It is set so low as I never have the time and by the time I do, my eyes have already glazed over. Lockdown has had some advantages!
    I'my trying to stay away from social media as much as possible, it's all too much now. I definitley think this year was designed to test us!
    Hope your mum is feeling better! I can totally empathise, but I'm hoping we get to finally see my parents next month - haven't seen them since November and lockdown meant we didn't go over at Easter, but I'm determined now! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow that eclair looks so yummy what a treat. I am not looking forward to all the shops opening and could not believe the queues on the news. I hope when you need to get shoes that its died down a bit for you. I hadnt seen the rainbow stack of books but its a great idea. Hope your mum is feeling better it must be so difficult for you x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That eclair looks amazing. I agree with you on social media, I have had to really filter out stuff to stop it affecting my mental health. I am not really into shopping in normal times, so I won't be rushing back yet... #project365

    ReplyDelete
  15. Huffkins cafe wow what fab looking cakes! When this is all over I think I need to pay them a visit. Well done Eddie reaching your book reading target already! That is quite something. I really love the rainbow book stack idea, will have to get my boys to do that! Another fab drawing Eddie with your BFG, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting to be re-posted by a brand! Well done! We still haven't braved any shops or changed any of our lockdown routines #project366

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those Huffkins cafe cakes look so tasty. I have been off social media too as it is just not a nice place to be at the moment

    ReplyDelete