Monday 22 June 2020

Photo diary: week 25, project 366

Bookshops are open! That's the best news in a long time.
Rather than that, our week was a bit meh. The same worries about Sasha's anxiety meds, Mum's health, other family issues, on top of that, the Internet connection is intermittent, and I'm feeling low and dispirited. Mostly helpless and not sleeping well.
I'm going through the motions, and I'm not optimistic.

Eddie's been drawing Star Wars/Mandalorian characters in the past week, following step by step from the YouTube channel for kids. I think this baby Yoda is super cute.

Chez Maximka, kids art, Star Wars drawings

On Monday morning we ventured into town, just three of us (Sasha was at school). It was lovely to re-visit Waterstones after a long closure. We put on our fetching masks and gloves, and while my husband was taking Eddie's picture, I photobombed him. We didn't buy anything that day, as the stock was still pretty much the same we have seen a couple of months before.
We did come back to the shop two days later, and they had a new stock. Eddie and I got a paperback each (The Truants for me and Wonderscape for Eddie). I also bought a book of Norse myths, as we are reading Magnus Chase, book 1, at the moment, and I wanted to revise the myths of Odin, Thor, Loki and more.

Chez Maximka, book shop in lockdown

I think I've watched too many Marvel films. I was walking into town, looked at the clouds as usual, spotted this strange cloud and thought of the Chitauri. Showed it to Eddie later and we both said: the Chitauri are coming.

Chez Maximka, West End Witney

Started reading Lockdown by Peter May. It's pretty amazing that he wrote it back in 2005, when the publishers didn't want to publish it as they thought the portrayal of London during the epidemic is completely unrealistic.
I was reading it, sitting in the garden, sipping Coca Cola Signature Mixtures Herbal. I bought it for the first time, and quite enjoyed it with ice. It will be great in a cocktail.

Chez Maximka, Lockdon by Peter May

Following the same Art for Kids Hub tutorial on Youtube, Eddie was drawing Han Solo for Father's day. I told him he should draw Darth Vader, but he said he asked his Dad what his favourite Star Wars character was, and that was Han Solo.

Chez Maximka, kids art

Passing by Derwent House, local interior design shop, I admired their colourful window display.

Chez Maximka, furniture store in Witney

Last week I received two bottles of wine from The Wine List for reviewing. It's the first wine box subscription, focused on learning, as you receive tasting cards with lots of information about the wine and the producers. I wanted to pair the Lebanese wine with the authentic food, and found a recipe for Moutabal. It's similar to babaganoush, with added yogurt and oregano leaves. It is a tasty dish, and goes well with the crisp white wine.

Lebanese food, Chez Maximka

What else did we do? Homeschooling, of course, not that much of TV... We started watching Artemis Fowl, but didn't like it at all. I finished reading The Sewing Room Girl by Susanna Bavin, which I plan to review later this week.
How did your week go?
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

14 comments:

  1. I hoped your mother was better. Sorry to hear that she is still ill.

    The book on Norse myths sounds interesting. Lockdown is very interesting too, but I wouldn't read it right now though.
    I love Mutabbal, but I don't add yoghurt in it, just tahini. I had some yesterday, as it's something we eat a few times a month, we love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are happy the bookshops are open. hehehe
    So sorry you haven't had a good week with everthing you have to worry about. Sending hugs.
    What a cute baby Yoda!
    Those clouds do look strange.
    Fab photos x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lockdown book sounds interesting, would love to read it and see how true to life it is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you are still feeling down. I'm glad you both got to Waterstones. I went too! I bought a book that I'd seen a lot of people read last year and I'd always assumed was romantic fiction, but it turns out it was a psychological thriller. I love Eddie's drawing. He is so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hoped your mother was better. Sorry to hear that she is still ill.The book on Norse myths sounds interesting. I love Scottish mythology and all kinds like that, so I'd love this. Eddie's drawing is awesome x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there. This is a tough time, everything will be alright soon. I hope your Mum's health and issue with Sasha's meds improves. The baby Yoda is super adorable! Marvel films have made you all interested in Norse mythology. Playing the recent God of War made me interested in it too. Oh my God, the Chitauri are coming (where are the Avengers?)!!
    The bottle of Coke is so cute and tiny. I guess Darth Vader would make sense because of "I am your father!".....Lovely window display. The dish looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for bookshops, glad you made it to Waterstones. Eddie's drawings are really good I hope the Fathers Day one went down well. Love the window display very clever. The Lockdown book sounds interesting, may see if I can find it in audio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your son is such a talented artist, I love the baby yoda, it is fabulous! You must be so proud of him. That book sound interesting especially given all our circumstances right now! Will have to get a copy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you have been feeling low.

    We might have to take a trip to the bookstore...it has been a while.

    Eddie's drawings are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that you’ve had a week of feeling low and dispirited. I hope that this last week was a better one. I love Eddie’s drawings. Baby Yoda is very cute and Han Solo looks great too. How lovely to be able to visit Waterstones again. I’ve not heard of Moutabal – it looks interesting. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww you're not your usual bouncy self this week - sending hugs ! Hope everything gets sorted soon for Sacha and hope your mum gets better quickly too. Try to give yourself some you-time - do something you love, all by yourself, just for an hour or two to make yourself feel a bit better or at least forget your problems for a while. The coke drink looks interesting - I've never seen that before. The Moutabal looks great too - Sophie would pinch that if she was there ! Eddie's drawings are really good - he's inherited your talent ! Great to hear the bookshop is open again and you look very fetching in your mask and gloves ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad bookshops are now open, you've been waiting for a while now but fab you got to go!
    The Baby Yoda is super cute, well done Eddie! We are fans of The Mandalorian and cannot wait for the 2nd series!
    Try and remain optimistic chick, I know things seem hard, crazy and everything else rolled in right now, but try and get some sleep. Everything and everyone will be fine, it's just going to take time! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photo of you and Eddie in the book shop. Pleased to hear Sasha has some support, how many days does he go to school? Is it helping with his anxiety? When I saw those clouds I thought of Dr Who and an alien invasion

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have started watching the Marvel films so I agree with you! Ooh I fancy a wine subscription...! Great picture, I have been debating whether to watch the Mandalorian with the kids as not sure if it is suitable for their ages #project366

    ReplyDelete