Thursday 11 June 2020

Biscoff-flavoured granola cookies

Chez Maximka, easy cookies, what to do with Biscoff spread


Before you point out that there are perfectly tasty Lotus Biscoff biscuits available everywhere, let me explain. My younger son is a big fan of Biscoff: he loves the biscuits as well as Biscoff-flavoured ice cream and crunchy spread. Recently my husband bought a jar of smooth Biscoff spread, and my fussy child said he didn't like it.
I prefer savoury toast, or just a thin layer of jam on toasted bread for breakfast, and poor old smooth Biscoff jar is staying unloved in the kitchen.
I put my thinking bonnet on to decide what to do with it. Biscuits can take any spread/nut butter. Typically I would add oats to biscuits, but having a good rummage in the kitchen realised that all oats are finished. Instead I have had two small pouches of Lizi's granola, which were products in the latest Degustabox. Good, that should do.

I used a 50g pouch of Lizi's Low Sugar Granola which includes jumbo rolled oats, rapeseed oil, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashew nut pieces, almond pieces, hazelnut pieces, walnut pieces, dessicated coconut, fructose and black treacle.
Nutritional information: 250kcal per small pack and 1.9g of sugar. It's a good source of fibre, GMO-free and suitable for vegetarians.

It can be swapped for any quality granola or muesli, or even a pouch of porridge oats.

Chez Maximka, easy oat cookies


Biscoff-flavoured granola cookies
Ingredients:
70g demerara sugar
60g Biscoff smooth spread (3 heaped tsp)
50g granola
1 medium egg
160g self-raising flour
50g butter

Chez Maximka

In a big mixing bowl beat together sugar with Biscoff spread, mix in granola and egg. Add the softened butter, flour, and mix together until you have an evenly mixed cookie dough.
Pinch cookie dough the size of a walnut, roll between palms, flatten into a small disc and place cookies on the tray, lined with parchment paper, or on a baking sheet.
Put the tray in the oven preheated to 180C.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
Remove the tray out of the oven and carefully transfer cookies on the cooling rack. The cookies will be very soft at this stage, but will get firmer in texture once cooled.
If you like your cookies very crispy, keep them in the oven for longer.

Chez Maximka, easy oat cookies

I still have some smooth Biscoff spread left, and am thinking of using it to make a marbled cake, with chocolate/cocoa. What would you suggest doing with the spread?

Chez Maximka, easy oat cookies

3 comments:

  1. Those look tasty and I love your mug! The spread might work in millionaries shortbread or a cheesecake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking cheesecake too. The biscuits look lovely - but did Eddie eat them ?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so tasty. I will ask my husband if he wants some granola cookies. He bought a bag of musli he is not 100% happy with, but might enjoy them in cookie-form. :)

    ReplyDelete