Sunday 28 June 2020

Photo Diary: Week 26, Project 366

Annalisa Barbieri, The Guardian's Weekend columnist is a wise lady. I admire that she doesn't just give her own opinion on whatever problem she is discussing, but consults psychologists and psychotherapists, thus presenting a more focused and balanced reply. I don't always agree with what she has to say, but I follow her column with great interest.
In the latest article she gives advice to a lady who is very anxious about "returning to the world" after the lockdown. She says that our world has shrunk, and expanding it again - safely - can seem onerous for some. And that's how I feel as well. I go out shopping, as if going to the battlefield. My husband needs to go to his office in Oxford, and the idea of him travelling by bus sends me into a mild panic.
Sasha goes to school three times a week, and I keep worrying about the risks he's taking. It's unrelenting.

I was supposed to meet up with a friend for a social distanced coffee in town, but I felt so anxious and stressed that I asked her to postpone the meet-up. I felt guilty about it later.
I need to build up my confidence to expand my world and not to transfer my anxiety to my family.

Last Sunday was Father's Day. I baked a marbled ricotta cake, which turned out very tasty. Eddie did a lovely drawing of Han Solo for his Dad, and we've also chosen a gift for him in the book shop.
I thought of my late Dad, and how much I miss him.

This is one of a very few pictures where my Dad and I are together. We didn't have a camera when I was a child, and there are not many photos from my childhood. A different era, unlike these days, when everyone seems to record every bite they eat for posterity (myself included).

It was taken on the day my Mum was in the hospital, giving birth to my brother, while my Dad looked after me. In those days, fathers were not permitted to be present during the labour. If they were lucky, they would have seen a baby held by a nurse from a window.
With my short hair I looked like a boy, but at least, I've got hair in the photo, as apparently I was a baldie as a baby, while my little brother had long locks, huge eyelashes and was utterly gorgeous.
I'm so much older now than my Dad in this photo. Wasn't he handsome?!

Chez Maximka

On Monday Eddie did one of the school tasks on Seesaw - to draw a cover for The BFG. The teacher said it was amazing, and awarded him an extra house point for this work.

Chez Maximka, children's art

I was well-chuffed, seeing that Danilo Cortellini has visited my Insta page. Not every day famous chefs look at my pictures.

Chez Maximka

I was waiting for a hand saw delivery from amazon, which I ordered the day before, so when a thin long package has arrived, I just put it aside. When an hour later, another long package was delivered, I looked at the first one, wondering if I got two seesaws by mistake.
It was a bouquet, which my friend sent to cheer me up. I almost welled up.

Chez Maximka, Wedgwood

Another screenshot - it was so hot, my brain was melting. I hate the heat, I cannot function properly.


Another hot day, made more unbearable by the inconsiderate twats, aka builders next door. They were rebuilding the conservatory, with the music on full blast all day. I'm not a vengeful person, but I did wish a series of calamities on them and the new owner.
My potted phloxes are not doing that well. One of the plants is being eaten by some bugs. I cannot see anything suspicious, but the leaves are pretty much destroyed. Any ideas on who might be the culprit?

Chez Maximka, summer flowers, English garden

The tomato plants in the greenhouse show the very first tiny fruit. I'm very pleased, as these are the tomatoes I've been growing from seeds, and they've been quite a challenge.

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. I was concerned about getting back to normality too, but when schools reopened, I didn't have a choice, I had to go back. And to be honest, it's not that bad. There are selfish people out there who ignore the rules (like not wearing masks on the bus) but in general, it's nowhere near as bad as I expected. Go out for a coffee, you'll be fine :) Your dad is movie-star handsome - I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him before. Well done Eddie for the BFG cover, it looks great. Your tomatoes are doing really well and the bouquet looks lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, you are a hero to go back to work. I will arrange a coffee meet-up with my friend, she is a lovely lady, and I miss having chats with her.

      Delete
  2. I read an article recently, by a Cambridge professor, now I wish I saved it somewhere, on how discourse in newspapers/news shows creates the idea that life before coronavirus was safe, when it was not. There are lots of dangers, from car crashes to mental health problems due to bullying. If you put the numbers into perspective, globally more people died this year from suicide and in car crashes than from coronavirus. He was talking about a risk budget and why it's better to spend that budget on children going to school instead of hugging their grandmother.
    I am not ready to spend my risk budget on holidays or going to the beach, but we've changed a fence post and we've interacted, closely, with our neighbour. I am looking forward to going to the cat cafe though.

    Your neighbour's construction team sounds really horrible. It's a shame they didn't contact you to tell what they plan to do and ask to give them a call if the workers are too noisy. On top of working, having music on all day is very annoying. Hope they will finish fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, I have read the stats, but the anxiety is not based on logic and data. :) The builders next door did mention they would be working for two months, but it's probably an estimate, usually it always takes longer.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's true, is not based on data. :) This is why I avoid watching the news and social media, as I saw that I was getting too worried.
      Two months is a lot, what a shame, just now, when you can't go anywhere.

      Delete
  3. Annalisa Barbieri does sound like a wise lady.
    What a lovely photo of you and your dad. What a handsome man.
    That is an awesome drawing of the BFG. Well done Eddie.
    What pretty flowers. So nice of your friend to send them. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. next doors builders sounds selfish, I find people are being inconsiderate, selfish and just too much 'it's all about me' I hate going out to shops and am avoiding leaving the house on the weekends as much as possible, don't think I'd cope with public transport and getting myself wound up with people complaining about missin out on holidays and needing their hair cut. i felt much happier in the first 10 weeks of the lockdown than I do know. It must be good for Sasha and the rest of the family for him to be back in school 3 days a week. Eddie's BFG picture is fab, no wonder his teacher gave him extra house points. Maybe meet up with your friend away from the shops and take a drink with you in a flask. What a lovely friend to send you those flowers and yes your father was a handsome man, I can see a bit of Eddie in you as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do find it annoying that other people seem to think it's ok to subject you to their music choice. I love Eddie's picture - he's a talented artist. There's such a thing as a phlox bug, but I don't know whether that is the problem with your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re your phloxes theres a phloxe bug which inflicts a lot of damage. If you google it it tells you how to deal with them.

    Eddie's pic is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a lovely photo of you and your dad. I love Eddie’s drawing of the BFG. How lovely of your friend to see you a bouquet of flowers. They are beautiful. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to get some flowers from your friend. Hope your anxiety eases a bit. I don't feel anxious but I've not been out yet other than to the shop/nurse. Great picture by Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am nervous of things opening back up again, but it has to happen and I am sure we will get used to the changes quickly. The plants looks they are doing well and the weather has been glorious hasn';t it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad was a seriously handsome chap and what a lovely photo with beautiful memories behind it!
    Eddie's BFG drawing is awesome, what a creative mind! He does like drawing and should certainly harness that passion!
    I was nervous about returning back into normal life, visiting Aldi and Home Bargains once a week is fine for me right now, I am very conscious about picking the right time to go when it won't be busy. It's not easy though, the thought of just going back to things, I doubt that will happen for quite some time... this is our new normal now. Don't feel guilty about not meeting for coffee with your mate, she would totally understand and am sure she would have been on the same through train. Hope you are all having a lovely week! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The BFG is fantastic, such a talent that boy! Your dad looks like a film star in that photo! I have ventured out with friends a little, but I am okay if I feel in control, shops frighten me more especially if they start to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Late with my comments (yet again sorry!) the heatwave of a whole 2 days feels like a dim and distant memory! I think we valued photos more in the past as they were so few and therefore precious #project366

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am concerned about getting back to normality too. It is a bit daunting with everything you see on the news. Your dad is movie-star handsome. Well done Eddie for the BFG cover, it looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely photo of you and your father. Such a precious memory and he was indeed very handsome. Great picture by Eddies and well deserving of the extra house point. I am also struggling with anything shopping related. I just can not face it. Being out in the fresh air is fine but inside places just make me nervous at the moment. Which is not like me at all.

    ReplyDelete