Monday 30 March 2020

Photo diary: week 13, project 366

If I had to describe the last week, I would use a Twitter post by Matt Haig, which I have taken a screenshot of. There were days like today, when I could hardly force myself out of bed in the morning, thinking what's the point.
Life in the lockdown is not easy. My younger son doesn't sleep well, has nightmares, and misses school.
The other day, when my husband asked him what he'd like to do, if he could do anything in the world. He replied: "Go to school".
My older boy doesn't grasp the concept at all, and is rather subdued, showing me the photos of his favourite places in town, hoping that we'd go there.
I look at my boys, and feel so helpless. How do I protect them? A question which every parent is asking themselves, I'm sure.


The photos from this week are just a mix of what we've been doing, not in a particular order of days.

On Monday Eddie and I were taking selfies, making silly faces. If that distracts him from sad thoughts even for a few minutes, it's worth it.

Chez Maximka

This week Eddie has been playing football a lot with his Dad in the garden, thankfully the weather was clement and sunny.
I've cleaned the summer house inside, and made the small bed ready. My husband and I talked about self-isolating there, if one of us (grown-ups) gets sick. There is a radiator inside. I have never slept there myself, but my Mum did quite a few times in the past, when she visited. From what she told me about all the sounds of wild life in the night, I probably wouldn't be able to fall asleep there at all.

Chez Maximka, summer house

You might have seen the #Showyourshelves hashtag on Twitter. I enjoyed looking at everyone's bookshelves and even posted a few photos myself. These are some of my history books on the chest of drawers, together with a box of Veggie magazines.

Chez Maximka, history books

Some of the hyacinths in the garden. They have a beautiful scent.

Chez Maximka, spring flowers

It was a sunny day, and I suggested we take the boys out for a walk along the river Windrush, in the flood fields. It wasn't a successful walk. Sash was super anxious, closing his eyes with his hand, as it's something unfamiliar for him. I was worried he would have a panic attack and said we should go back home. My husband took him for a longer walk back in town, just around the block and back home.


More hyacinths and little tulips in the garden. My Mum planted the tulips last autumn. I didn't expect them to be so short. Once the flowers stop blooming, I will plant some herbs in that tub.

Chez Maximka, spring flowers


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

14 comments:

  1. It's such a weird feeling, not being able to get outside and carry on with normal life. I'm very impressed that you have sorted out the summer house for sleeping in, if needed, and I love the flower pictures - it's nice to see a splash of colour in these dark times ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, I should have said I sorted out only half of it, where the bed is. The rest is the storage for old toys, which I should tackle one day.

      Delete
  2. It has been so lovely to get outside. The flooding is easing here so I am hoping they don't lock us down completely so we can extend our walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kara, we had a relatively rain-free week or so, and the nearest flood fields are mostly dry, though quite messy, with layers of dried mud and grasses.

      Delete
  3. This is quite a difficult time. It's good that you have the summer house as a backup if you or your husband need to isolate. I hope there is no need and that you'll use it to relax when the weather is nice and sunny.
    Sending lots of hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, I also hope neither of us would need to use the summerhouse. Our boys like to stay there during the day in summer, it's nice and cool in there.

      Delete
  4. Sending big hugs it sounds like the boys are really struggling. The weather has been lovely. I'm glad Eddie got to enjoy it in the garden x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that tweet. It hasn't been an easy week by the sounds of it.

    Beautiful hyacinths, love them. Glad you have the summer house as a place you can isolate if needed but hopefully it won't be needed

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you are all struggling with all this. Glad Sasha could get a walk round somewhere he knows better.
    I am not a lover of the smell of hyacinths. I dont have much sense of smell but those make me feel sick.
    The Summer house sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry to hear that it has being so disruptive for the boys. The Summer house sounds like a very good idea I hope you never need to use it. Love hyacinths, I wish we had more Spring flowers in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've noticed a couple of people posting photos of tulips, questioning the short stems. Sorry to hear Sasha and Eddie are struggling with their new routines. Hopefully neither of you will have to self isolate in the garden, but it looks a lovely spot

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a strange week. Hope the boys settle into the new routine soon - it's very unsettling. I liked seeing your bookshelf. I only own one book in common with you in that selection (Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire), but there are plenty more I'd be very happy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been so lucky with the weather that we have been able to enjoy the outdoors so much recently. I missed that shelves hashtag, boo! #project366

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very tough experience for children as they can't understand how something so minuscle could change their life. Great quote by Matt; everyone can deal with lockdown in their own ways. Cute Eddie; I hope neither of you have to self-isolate. Lovely flowers

    ReplyDelete