Saturday 16 March 2019

Photo diary: week 11, project 365

We spent most of the last week at home, as Eddie got poorly, with a fever and bad cough which kept him awake at night. He's been off school for several days, and I realised that I haven't taken any photos on Wednesday. Hence two images for Sunday.
The weather was a mixed bunch, changing in one half hour to another from a clear blue sky to a torrential rain and even sleet, then back to sunshine.

The Moon on Sunday was a beautiful bright crescent, but you could still see the whole shape.

crescent Moon

Earlier on Sunday Eddie went to his friend's birthday party, which was a Laser tag. Al the boys including the birthday boy are 1-2 years older than Eddie. He was very excited about the party, and was happy to join in the game. Alas, one of the older kids decided it was a great fun to punch my son in the face, as well as keep pushing him.
He was upset, and I took him outside, asking if he wanted to leave the party earlier and go home by taxi. Ed's friend went to talk to the bully, but the latter shrugged it off by saying it was just a game. Of course, it was, that's what all bullies say. He chose to pick up on the youngest. I didn't want to ruin the party, but I was fuming. These days, of course, you are not allowed to say anything to the other people's children, even if they behave like total shites, or you will be the one in trouble.


Monday morning was all blue skies and blossom. I walked by the old woolen mill, spotted the postie crossing the road, and liked the contrast of red against the grey, white and blue background.


More rain on Tuesday. It was the last swimming lesson for Eddie this year, and I suspect he didn't dry properly after the lesson, and then they walked through a bucketing rain back to school. He was already coughing in the morning, but by the evening his cough has got really bad.



No pics on Wednesday.
In a typical "poorly child"-fashion he was coughing and having a fever one moment, then feeling better and jumping around after the meds lowered the temperature.
Sasha was away overnight in his respite centre, but as Eddie was unwell, we didn't do anything except ordering a pizza and watching a movie. We snuggled up in a duvet and just had a quiet evening.


More rain... I walked in the garden, taking photos of the hyacinths my Mum planted last year, to show her what they look like.


We're at home today, as my husband is away. Eddie is still coughing, though less than the previous days, I hope he'll get better by Monday.

On Tuesday I popped into the local Waterstone's and asked one of our lovely ladies there to recommend me something mindless, preferably crime and not too graphic.
She suggested a couple of books, and for a few days I've been engrossed in If I die before I wake by Emily Koch. It is a story narrated by a young man in a locked-in syndrome, while everyone else believes he's in coma and debate whether to withdraw his life support.
It is an original and heart-breaking story, and the end made be blubber like a baby.
It is a psychological thriller, not graphic (though not mindless at all, in fact very deep and moving).
I finished it yesterday evening, and took a photo today, as I plan to write a review, once I have a chance.
Have you read this book?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

20 comments:

  1. Love the sound of that book. How awful for Eddie to be treated like that at the party and then to get ill later in the week. I hope he's feeling brighter now #365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, Eddie's still coughing quite a bit, but otherwise is chirpier.

      Delete
  2. Hope Eddie is feeling better soon and so sorry to hear about the bullying at the party. What a terrible thing to happen! I haven't read that book, but I absolutely love the sound of it. I need to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, it was very unpleasant to encounter this kind of behaviour at a rather small party, especially that Eddie was so looking forward to it.
      The book is very good.

      Delete
  3. Aww! Poor Eddie. I hope he is feeling better now.
    The party sounds horrible. What a rotten bully.
    I love the sound of that book x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, that incident at the party really spoilt it for Eddie. The book is gripping, I recommend it.

      Delete
  4. Hope Eddie is well on the way to recovery now. Bullying is so annoying isn't it? I do think sometimes we'd all be better served with a bit more honesty about children's behaviour, but that isn't always easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica! It is ridiculous that you cannot tell off a child who punched your own child, and also sad for the society that we're so afraid of getting it wrong. Takes a village and all that...

      Delete
  5. That's unfortunate with the bully. It's a tricky situation. You can't say anything to the bully and I don't think it would have been better anyway, as Eddie wouldn't have learned how to cope with the situation by himself. Either way, I think is terribly distressing to witness that as a parent.
    Hope he gets over this cough soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, it's true that Eddie didn't want me to say anything to anyone. But then bullies get away with their nasty behaviour because everyone tries to be non-confrontational.

      Delete
  6. It's difficult to know what to do in the case of the bully. It's lovely to see that his friend tried to look after him. #365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was kind of his friend to confront the bully.

      Delete
  7. That is awful that Eddie was punched in the face! I would have been fuming too...and no it was not part of the game...punching in the face wasn't necessary.

    You are right though..these days you can't say anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite upset about it, maybe even more than Eddie. It's not something one would expect at the party.

      Delete
  8. Shame about the bully. Hope Eddie wasn't too impacted by it. Lovely hyacinths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma, I think Eddie is of a forgiving nature, and hasn't mentioned it to me since.

      Delete
  9. that sounds like a book i'd like to read. is it good? so sorry to hear about Eddie's experience at the party, hope he's recovered now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Suzanne, it's a well-written book, and the ending is emotional. I've passed it on to a friend who enjoys psychological thrillers as much as I do.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I'm off to look up that book! Love the moon pic #project365

    ReplyDelete