Saturday 16 February 2019

Photo diary: week 7, project 365

Last week was all about music and flowers. I love this time of the year, as first spring flowers are among my most favourite sights.
On Sunday we went to see Lego Movie 2. As I expected, I was bored to death. It's almost two hours long, with plenty of very loud inane music. The actual Lego creations are pretty amazing, but the plot is laughable. Even Eddie wasn't much impressed with it, and he loved the 1st film and the other Lego films. I've read one of the critics said about the film that watching it was as painful as stepping on a Lego brick. I agree with him. Oh the sacrifices we have to make as parents!


On Monday I had yet another abysmal visit to the dentist. What was supposed to be the final step of the root canal treatment turned out to be a bit of a nightmare, as the dentist managed to break my tooth. I was pretty upset by it all. I had to endure 4 visits of drilling and injections, only to have the tooth broken. Now he's off on his holidays, and I'll have to wait for 3 weeks to have it all mended.

In the evening Eddie was rehearsing the violin lesson to get ready for a concert later in the week.


Tuesday was a beautiful sunny day, and the crocuses along the path through the garden were all open up.

early spring flowers

And the snowdrops are also taking over, they truly gladden my heart.

flowers in February

Eddie's class has been taking violin lessons since September. On Thursday they showed parents what they've learnt so far. This is a free music programme taught in many Oxfordshire schools (220 out of 270). The kids were given a violin each to take home, and at the end of this half term they were offered a chance to keep taking lessons, only now as paid-for.
I would like Eddie to keep playing, but so far he has not shown much enthusiasm.
The children did very well at the concert. I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised at how attentive they were, and concentrated on the music.


Friday morning was rather frosty. This is the photo of the sunrise in the flood fields, on the way to school.


An orchid in the kitchen started blooming. Apologies for yet another flower photo, but it was either that, or a Costa snap.
We did the usual round of shops today with Eddie, took book no.4 from The Raven Mysteries in the library, which we reserved last week, visited the Game store to look at Pokemon cards, and soon will be reading How to train your dragon (no.2) before bedtime.


14 comments:

  1. My girls want to see the new Lego movie but I'm not so keen. I've read the reviews and they are not good.
    That is rotten about your trip to the dentists. It is rubbish you have to wait 3 weeks becuase the dentist broke your tooth. Grr!
    Lovely Photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, I wouldn't recommend the Lego movie. I think it's one of those films which are better to watch when they come on DVD, when you can do other things, like go to the kitchen and make a cup of tea, or scroll through the iphone. :)

      Delete
  2. That's such an angelic photo of Eddie with his violin. I wish N's school did the same scheme. They just get to do recorders which N loves, but I'd like him to try another instrument. He likes playing the piano at home but won't take lessons. Hope the teeth gets sorted out soon. Sounds painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma, Eddie takes guitar lessons for the 2nd year, but I don't think he's very musical. I can't really criticise as I'm not musical myself, and never have been, though I love listening to the classic music.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your tooth, what a nightmare! I'm so glad nobody in my family will want to see the Lego Movie! We saw the first one and it was OK, apart from that dreadful song! Eddie looks lovely with his violin. Two of my kids played violin, one of them for many years. Funnily enough I blogged about it the other day, because we really are the least musical family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, the music in the 2nd film is much more annoying, which I think was intentional, as there's a song titled This song's gonna stuck inside your head. Grrr, it is truly maddening.

      Delete
  4. How annoying about the dentist! You'd think he'd make other arrangements for you to be seen by someone else rather than keeping you waiting. I'm trying to avoid the Lego Movie. Hoping that either someone else will take H or that he'll wait for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica, the dental practice is a small one, just him and his wife, and the hygienists, so he couldn't delegate the task.

      Delete
  5. I would be raging with the broken tooth as well......and now there will be more cost in repairing that, I bet you have paid for his holiday!!
    Some of our schools offer free basic music tuition,the good old recorder but apart from that you pay for any lessons. Shame really as so many parents cannot afford it but then I guess the outlay and teaching does not come cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your tooth, what a nightmare. I hope it improves. We haven't seen the movie, I think the boys want to. Looks like Eddie is doing well with the violin. #365

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, the tooth again. It does sound like a nightmare. I imagine the movie was horrible too, but what can you do, you have to go with Eddie. The violin classes are a very good idea and even if he doesn't continue, at least he learned something and had a chance to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so pleased that we have not got caught up on the trends in this house yet. I imagine this may well change come the release of Frozen 2 #365

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had heard the lego movie was rubbish, glad i don't get dragged to stuff like that these days. hope the tooth is being sorted out and the pain isn't too bad for you. Eddie looks so happy with the violin, fiungers crossed he plays it better than my youngest ever did

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am glad we didn't go to watch the Lego Movie now! Was thinking about it!

    I can't believe they broke your tooth? That is shocking! Such a shame you now have to go through getting it fixed.

    Have to agree that I love this time of the year too, seeing all the flowers really lifts my mood

    ReplyDelete