Tuesday 14 October 2014

Spiced pumpkin cupcakes for #UnileverHalloween


My little man has been off school today, as he is not feeling well. He spent most of the day in bed, watching the CBeebies and sleeping. To cheer him up, I baked a batch of spiced pumpkin cupcakes, though it is still two weeks until Halloween.
The weather has been ghastly for the last few days, and baking cakes is always a good way of spending day indoors.
I love culinary challenges, and was thrilled to be invited by Unilever Kitchen to join in a Halloween and Bonfire night challenge, testing my cooking skills - spooky style.
They said:
"Now, we much prefer the ‘treat’ to the ‘trick’ here at Unilever kitchen , so we’d like to challenge you to whip up some ‘treat’ snacks and dishes to keep the family warm during the Halloween and Bonfire season. The most inventive dish will then be awarded the top place, with the creator receiving tickets to the London Dungeon Experience for four people.
To help you on your spooky challenge we’ll provide you with a delicious foodie Halloween and autumn themed hamper, full of mouth-watering seasonal treats, Unilever products as well as some Halloween inspired surprises. Whether it’s ghostly cupcakes, banging stews or frighteningly good soups, the choice is yours!"

Since the hamper arrived, my son Eddie kept asking me when I was going to bake the spooky cupcakes.


Earlier today I had a delivery of glorious pumpkins from Abel & Cole, and just had to use some of them in baking.


Spiced pumpkin cupcakes (makes 20+)
Ingredients:
140 g cooked pumpkin
1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/3 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
3 medium eggs
200g caster sugar
100ml olive oil
135g yogurt
1tbsp molasses
1tbsp golden syrup
240g plain flour
210g cornflour
80+ ml water
Start by cutting a small sized pumpkin into big chunks and scoop out the seeds. Slightly brush with oil and roast at 180C for half an hour. I used 3 pieces of pumpkin for the cupcakes ( the rest I served for dinner with venison steaks).


Remove the skin from the pumpkin pieces and mash with a fork in a big mixing bowl. Add all the spices, sugar and mix well. Add the olive oil, yogurt, molasses and golden syrup, and mix well again. Finally add the flour and cornflour. At this point the cake mix will be very thick. Add water a little bit at a time, until you have a smoother consistency, which is easier to ladle into the muffin cases.
Place the muffin cases in a big muffin tin and pour the cake mix leaving 1cm at the top.
I also used a silicone cupcake mold, as my son Eddie was very eager to try fancy-shaped cupcakes.
Bake the muffins/cupcakes at 180C until the wooden skewer comes clean (about 20+ minutes).


Let the cupcakes cool completely before decorating with the glace frosting.
For the frosting mix 250g icing sugar with 4tbsp lemon juice and 2tbsp coconut oil. You might want to add a little bit of water, to make it easier to spread over the cupcakes. Also add a bit of food colouring. The actual frosting is much more orange in real life than in the photos, but the light is abysmal today, and I couldn't get it right when I took the photos.
I used Dr Oetker icing writing pens to add a few touches.


We also did some ghostie cupcakes by adding the marshmallows on top of the frosting and painting faces with Dr Oetker icing pens.




Eats Amazing Fun Food Friday

Baking with veggies is this month's theme for Tea Time Treats hosted by Lavender and Lovage and The Hedgecombers.


Tea Time Treats

10 comments:

  1. Oooh these look fabulous and I love the idea of a spiced pumpkin cake - I may have to get experimental and try these during the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I'd like them to be really spicy and add more ginger and molasses, but I didn't think my guys would like that.

      Delete
  2. ooo these look really tasty. I love the selection of little pumpkins as well, they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they gorgeous? So bright and colourful, and tasty too, those that we tried

      Delete
  3. OOoh these do sound rather lovely with all their wonderful spices. I'm sure they cheered up your wee fella! I hope he is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, he is still not well today, I guess he'll be off school all week, since he had a temperature this morning.

      Delete
  4. These look amazing- off to bake 'em now. Serious - I was in at 'spiced pumpkin' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Savi! They are lovely, if you like pumpkins. Sweet potatoes would work well too in this recipe.

      Delete
  5. Very cute and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great, I love how you decorated the shaped cakes with icing details too!
    Thank you for linking up to Fun Food Friday!

    ReplyDelete