Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Yummy Gummy Search for Santa

Are you a Christmas movie traditionalist who watches the same golden oldies like "It's a wonderful life" and "White Christmas" or do you enjoy watching something new every year? I confess to being a mix of both. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas for me without "Back to the future". But I also love discovering new films with my children. And when "The Yummy Gummy Search for Santa" DVD (from Lionsgate) dropped on the doormat in an envelope as a surpise pack (together with a gummy bear jelly mould and a pack of jelly), I knew it would be a hit with my guys.





What's the plot summary?
"When Santa vanishes on Christmas Eve, Gummibär and his band of wacky misfits shake their booties from the North Pole to the tropics on a madcap search. But when they discover that Santa was abducted by a dance-crazed alien, the fate of Christmas morning rests in the hands -  and feet- of our lovable green gummy bear!"
Does this plot sound amusing to you? I grant you it is not for "bah-humbug"-ians, and yes, it sounds silly and not profound, but my guys didn't care. As the big fans of Gummy Bear, they had fun, watching their favourite Youtube song character move to a longer animation with more dancing, bum-shaking and bouncing.

Gummibär and his buddies Cala the cat, Vamp the bat, and Harry the chameleon, are determined to find out what happened to Santa after he is reported missing by his elves on Christmas Eve.
The alien named Allen (very imaginative, lol) didn't take Santa very far away. He took Santa to a nearby island, and has convinced him that he stopped time with his magic wand so that Santa could have a longer vacation. Now it's Gummi's turn to convince Santa that Allen has lied to him and that it is time to do his Santa's job and deliver the gifts to children around the world.

The eccentric adventure is interspersed with some of the Gummibär hits from the internet, including his original "I'm a Gummy Bear (The Gummy Bear Song)" that has over 2 Billion views on YouTube. I think my guys have contributed immensely to that total number of views. It was first Sasha who kept playing the original song again and again and again. This year Eddie discovered the  masterpiece, and he also sings along.

If, however, you can only groan at the mere mention of the words "Gummy bear", steer clear, it will be tough on you. I think it has kind of grew on me, as I have listened to the original song so many times, that at some point it kept ringing in my ears every time I went to bed.

And my sons were also very excited about the jelly mould. Here is our lime green creation, wobbly and bouncy.





It's not easy to eat jelly, is it? It tends to slide off the spoon. The solution? Eat it off the plate.
As you can see, Eddie has mastered the jelly-eating technique.




If you are still looking for Christmas stocking fillers, this DVD might be just the right gift for any Gummy bear fan, be they young in age or young at heart.



1 comment: