Today is a World Vegetarian Day. It initiates the whole month dedicated to the vegetarian way of living. To celebrate the Vegetarian Awareness Month many bloggers and brand sites are posting a variety of recipes. Apparently a few days ago, on the 27th of September to be precise, it was a Hug a Vegetarian day. You wonder sometimes who comes with these ideas, and why should I hug a vegetarian on that particular day, and not on any other. Incidentally 4 October will be the Feast Day of St Francis of Assisi.
Moving aside from this useful piece of trivia, did you have a meat-free meal today? We did, as I cooked a tortilla.
The idea for a tortilla was suggested by Green Giant who rustled up a few recipes for the World Veggie Day.
Green pepper and sweetcorn tortilla
1 big potato, boiled and diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
4tbsp olive oil + more
1 medium green sweet pepper, deseeded and chopped
3 small tomatoes, chopped
1tbsp fresh basil, chopped
4 medium eggs
2 heaped tbsp hard grated cheese
salt and pepper
Peel and cook a big potato, let it cool before dicing. In a frying pan pour 2tbsp of olive oil, when sizzling, add the finely chopped onion as well as a bit of thyme. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is soft and slightly browned. Remove from the heat. Slice the sweet pepper and tomatoes and cook with 2tbsp of olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add a tablespoon of fresh basil.
In a big mixing bowl beat the eggs. Season well. add the diced potatoes, onions, peppers and tomatoes, grated cheese and sweetcorn. Mix well. Pour into a frying pan and cook under the grill until set, or like me, pour in the oiled cake tin and bake in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
Cut into slices and eat hot.
It will keep well for another day, if you won't finish it all in one day. Just wrap it cold in cling film or foil and keep in the fridge overnight.
For another healthy vegetarian tortilla follow the recipe created by Green Giant. It uses much more sweetcorn in the recipe for obvious reasons.
|Image credits: Green Giant|
Sweetcorn and spinach tortilla (recipe courtesy of Green Giant)
2 medium onions
3 tbsp olive oil
300g bag spinach
340g Green Giant sweet corn
6 large eggs
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Peel and finely slice the onion, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in the frying pan and cook the onion over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
2. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into small dice, put into a pan with light salted water and boil for 8-10 minutes until just tender, drain. Add to the onions and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Cook the spinach in a large pan of boiling water for 1 minute until just wilted. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain again, squeezing to extract excess water. Place on a board and roughly chop. Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Drain the sweet corn, add to the spinach with the potato and onions.
5. Lightly beat the eggs, season then stir into the vegetables.
6. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan then add the egg mixture and cook over a medium low heat 10 -15 minutes or until almost set.
7. Remove from the heat, scatter over the cheese and pop under a hot grill for 2 minutes until the top is golden. Cover and stand for 10 minutes so the steam firms up the tortilla.
8. Run a palette knife around the edge to loosen the tortilla then slide onto a large flat plate. Cut into wedges and serve warm or cold.
If you liked this recipe, the Green Giant has plenty more of recipes and ideas on their site.
If you are a vegetarian or just try to celebrate the Vegetarian Awareness Month by staying meat-free (even some time during this month), you are welcome to link-up your vegetarian recipes.
It's a one-off linky in honour of the Vegetarian Awareness Month.
I will comment on all posts, RT and G+.