Monday 8 March 2021

Photo diary: week 9, project 365

 A big day today: it's back to school, and the end of remote learning, as we know it. I'm quite torn, on one hand, I can see how Eddie frets at home, missing his mates, on the other hand, how will all the social distancing work in an enclosed class space?! Back to school fills me with anxiety, and I'm an emotional mess.

My elder one has been going to school three times a week, but now it will be back to five days, which he will be very happy with. The routine is very important for Sash, and he is missing school on the days, when he has to stay at home.

Good news from the last week: Eddie has been offered a place in school of his first choice. 

As mentioned in the last week's Photo diary, Sunday was my birthday. The Neapolitan cake from Waitrose didn't last very long. My older boy's birthday is coming later this month, and I think I will buy the same cake for him, to take to school and share with his mates.

The only photo I have taken on that day was of the shadows from the creeper on the blind.

Chez Maximka

My brother sent me some photos from their trip out to the countryside. This is the frozen river Kama. I look at all that ice and snow, and shiver a little bit, just thinking of how cold it must be, but also miss that vast whiteness and the crispy crunchy sound of the snow when you step on it.

Chez Maximka

I was looking through the photos on the old ipad, and found some of my boys and me having a laugh together. How quickly have they grown. Sasha is now a young man, not a child any more, and Eddie is surely not a tot either.

Chez Maximka

Hyacinths have started opening up their little colourful pyramids, isn't that a bit too early for them?! Hope there won't be sudden frosts to kill them off. Last autumn I re-planted the red hyacinths from the year before, but the blue ones are scattered around the garden, from previous years, some of them were the potted gifts, which are supposed to only last one season. They are not as bushy as the cultivated varieties, but bring a touch of colour.

Chez Maximka

Remember the World Book Days of the past, when children would come to school dressed up as their favourite book character? Since we were still in lockdown for schools last week, the teachers suggested decorating a potato as a book character. We enjoyed looking at the snaps on Seesaw, such a variety of ideas. 
Eddie's a big fan of Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and has all the books in his collection. 
Hence his choice - Greg Heffley with his diary, made of two potatoes, painted with white and then the outlines drawn with a black pen. 

Chez Maximka

For dinner on Friday we had a mushroom and veggie soup. When I say we, I mean just the grown-ups. The boys wouldn't eat mushrooms even if I tried to bribe them. This is a kind of soup, which is a meal in itself, as it's packed full of mushrooms, carrots, onion, tomatoes, potatoes and rice. I also like to add some cream or Greek yogurt. It wouldn't win any prizes in the appearance competition, but it tastes so delicious. 

Chez Maximka, vegetarian meals ideas

Saturday night: we ordered a Domino's takeaway and watched Independence Day Resurgence. Omigosh, what a load of tripe. I nearly fell asleep from boredom. If you thought the first film was bad (we watched it last week together), then in comparison with the sequel, it's a masterpiece. My child liked it though.

I still haven't watched The Dig. I started, and hope to finish some time this week during the day, when my guys are at school. Mulligan and Feinnes are exceptionally good. I only saw a glimpse of Lily James, and stopped watching. For some reason I find her acting utterly annoying, she always plays the same part of a chattering-non-stop, inanely-exuberant, smiley young lady. She sets my teeth on edge, perhaps illogically. My younger one loves Mamma Mia films, and thinks she is a good actor. 

Eddie loves his new desk. We still have the picture of Elmer the patchwork elephant on the wall, which I painted for him, when he was little. I think it's time for Elmer to go, sadly, and be painted over, or covered with a poster in the meantime. As long as I don't have to paint Percy Jackson or Alex Rider on the wall. 

How was your week? Are you excited about children going back to school today?

children's desk, Chez Maximka



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. I think it's great that children can go back to school. The number of people testing positive is getting lower and lower and there is so much testing, nearly 1 million tests a day, which is really great.

    The picture of you and the boys is wonderful, I love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the return to school has gone well. I was worried all of today but when my girl came in she was so happy for seeing her friends.
    Congrats about the school place for Eddie.
    Wow! What a fantastic photo from your brother. It makes me cold just looking at it.
    The Diary of a Wimpy Kid potatoes is brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been a bit apprehensive about the return to school too. It is a worry with how social distancing and things will work. Hope that the return to school went well for Eddie and I’m so glad he got his first choice place. What a lovely photo of you and your boys. I’m very impressed by Eddie’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid potatoes – they look amazing. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goald you got your first choice school too for Eddie. Love the potato, that was out first experience of WBD when my son was in Reception I think. We still have a Thomas poster up here, I keep asking my son if he wants it taken down but no, he's still happy with it for the trains. I'm sure that won't last come September #365

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew decorating potatoes is a thing? We also did a Harry Potter one. Love the photo of you with the boys together. Elmer is lovely you did such a good job. Glad he's enjoying his desk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday to you, hope you had a lovely day and enjoyed your cake. I've seen someone else with week 9 talking about decorating potatoes for world book day. Hope Sasha's school doesn't get interrupted again and I'm sure Eddie is excited to be going back for his last few months of primary. The soup does sound yummy, but I'd have to pick past the mushrooms

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't have been able to guess the soup flavour but sounds lovely. Great idea to decorate potatoes, we love those books too. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid potato, I think a few schools used that idea. We are doing World Book Day dress up on Monday. I'm glad you got the school placement you wanted for your son. My son is so much more settled now his sister is also back at school and we are all back in routine. My son has the same pj's he loves them #365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab news on your son getting his first choice school, it just be such a relief. I want to watch the Dig too - not got round to it yet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that he got his school place that he wanted! One less thing to worry about. I am not a big fan of mushrooms but I would happily eat the rest of the ingredients in your soup. Wow love the potato artwork, I noticed other schools doing potatoes too, who knew, it's really taking off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO pleased Eddie got his first choice. I've not seen Dig either yet. Should watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha what a funny idea with the potato for book day! Congrats to your son on getting the school of his choice..the soups sounds lovel..
    Shahira..

    ReplyDelete