Monday 29 March 2021

Photo diary: week 12, project 365

 I am a not very orderly gardener. I might plant things, and  then completely forget what exactly I have planted. Last autumn, in between the lockdowns, a friend took me to the Burford garden centre, where I bought a bag of tulip bulbs. I have planted them in pots and tubs, and have thrown away the packaging, thinking that, of course, I will remember which tulips I got. Several months later, and I'm losing my mind over what tulips I have planted. The leaves are just beginning to strenghten, but no sign of any flowers yet. 

Tulips below are from two years before, which my Mum bought for me. It is like a little hug from her. They are so pretty, but don't ask me what variety that is. I keep thinking I should keep a little gardening diary and make some notes of what and where grows in our garden. Do you have a gardening diary?

Chez Maximka, spring garden

On the way home in the Puck Lane the plums are in full blossom right now. It is a beautiful sight.

Chez Maximka, spring blossom

I am always fascinated by the shapes of clouds. I told Eddie, "Doesn't this cloud look like a demented elephant?", to which he replied, "Only to you, Mum". Or maybe, an ichthyosaur? 

Chez Maximka

A surprise visitor in the garden... I was just walking to the summer house, where I keep certain food supplies hidden from my lovely family (aka chocolate eggs for Easter, as they won't survive long, if someone finds them in advance), when I saw the end of the tail moving behind the hedge. My first thought was either a cat, or a fat rat. I carefully peeked behind and saw this beauty.

Whatever was it doing in the walled garden? We did have muntjacks in the past, I saw them jumping over the high stone wall. We regularly have neighbours shitting cats. An overexcited dog leaped a couple of times over the wall here as well, but it's the first time I've seen a pheasant in the garden.

Chez Maximka

He was moving fast around, and I kept snapping. Couldn't decide which picture I like the best, so here are two of them. I like the one below, with an eye looking at me suspiciously through the branches.

Chez Maximka

On Friday Eddie wasn't feeling well, and I kept him at home. He helped me to plant some seeds in little pots. We got an Easy Vegetables kit from Story of Seasons, as part of the #PineHoverfly campaign, and I wil be posting updates every Friday on Instagram. The kit contained seeds of carrots, leeks, Cavolo Nero, Swissh chard, tomatoes and spring onions.

Eddie and his Dad finished watching Wonder Woman 1984, while I excused myself, saying I need to cook. 

Chez Maximka

It has become a tradition in the last year that on Saturdays we watch one of the old films together. This time we picked The legend of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci. He used to be such a good actor. 

If I had to choose, I'd say Arizona Dream and What's Eating Gilbert Grape are true masterpieces, where JD is absolutely brilliant. Young Di Caprio is also excellent in Gilbert Grape.

And how was your week?

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Because I have no idea what to plant where and how to care for them I make the monthly round-ups with the garden. This month I've included pictures with the bulbs and, if they grow, I will be able to identify them.

    I hope Eddie is better. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, that's a good way of watching the progress of the garden, I need to be more methodical with my gardening plans.

      Delete
  2. hahaha! I am the same when I come to growing things, I never remember where I've planted things. lol The tulips are very pretty.
    What a wonderful visitor in your garden. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tulips are so pretty. We’re waiting for the flowers to come out on ours too. No idea what variety they are either – I’m rubbish at keeping track of these things, other than with my roses. The pheasant is beautiful. My in-laws get them in the garden quite often. Hope Eddie is feeling better now. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow looks like you live in a beautiful place. I have to hide the eggs too ours are in a re usable bag on top of the kitchen cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovedly visitor to have. Our tulips we planted for Paddington have just started to come up and only three flowers so far, so hopefully yours will show soon too #365

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tulips are beautiful. All ours went in late so I fear we may not get any at all this season. I have also hidden some eggs for the same reasons. Now I need to find them tonight! Lovely visitor to have and to have had deer too thats amazing. I agree with Eddie and can see more of a dinosaur than an elephant. Hope you have a lovely Easter x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I haven't seen Sleepy Hollow in so long! Really fancy watching it now. We don't have many flowers in our garden and our daffodils didn't come up this year :( #project365

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a pheasant in the garden either, such a beautiful bird. We get the cats though. I haven't seen sleepy hollow for years - love that film!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely photos of flowers this week. I don't have a gardening diary, I am clueless in the garden. We nearly need to get it sorted, its a crazy wild mess! But when I feel guilty I keep telling myself nature doesn't seem to mind. The easy vegetable kit sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great find in your garden. It's amazing that you got to take some photos too. I have never seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape I will have to add that to the must watch list #365

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep a gardening diary, but it's more of a jobs to do, rather than what flowers etc I've planted. My tulips all came up at different times and I have no idea what any of them are called, they were purchased just for their variety of colours.

    ReplyDelete