Monday 22 March 2021

Photo diary: week 11, project 365

My guys thought that the best Mother's day card for me would be with a jolly cheerful woman sat in a bubbly bath with a glass of wine in hand. Is that a joke? Not amused, as it never happened. 

At least they tried. I had another card on the Mothering Sunday, which brought tears to my eyes. They remembered that it was the 21st anniversary of my Dad's death. Eddie wrote very touching words, and I told him for the 1000th time how much my Dad would have loved him. Sadly he didn't live long enough to meet any of his grandchildren.

The whole week was like that, a mix of joy and sadness. It was my older boy's 19th birthday and my brother's 50th (How did it happen? How can my little bro turn 50? I remember his gorgeous locks and long eyelashes when he was a tot.), and on that same day it was the anniversary of my Dad's funeral. 

The human mind is a complex thing, we can be grieving and celebrating at the same time. 

 It's been a year since the first lockdown was introduced. There is a talk of the third lockdown in Europe, what will happen here, is anyone's guess.


It's always tricky to buy gifts for Sasha, as we don't always get it right. For example, I bought him a bean bag recently for his room, as his previous one was as flat as a pancake. Did he like it? Did he heck! He doesn't even want to try it. I also got a Silent night heavy-weight duvet for him, which is meant to alleviate the stress and help with anxiety. He politely put it off the bed onto the unused bean bag. I tried several times to get it back on his bed, and every time it is folded over the bean bag. Yet he likes his old duvet, and wraps up in it tightly like in a cocoon, even in the hot weather.

Thus I was happy that he loved his new framed poster. He already has a framed poster of St Michael's Mount in his room, as well as three big canvases from our trips to Cornwall. I found this poster online, and hoped it would be a good birthday gift for my Cornwall-obsessed child. 

Cornwall posters

I was a little bit tearful on the day of his birthday. My baby is 19 years old. He should have been celebrating with his mates, going out with a girl(or boy)-friend, doing all these things 19-year-olds do, and which he will never be able to do, due to his disability.

I tried to take a photo of Sash, but he is ever so elusive these days, and turns away. I wanted to do a snap of us together, but only managed this one, where he kissed me on the head, like politicians kiss babies.

Chez Maximka

For his birthday I bought two cakes, a big chocolate one to take to school to celebrate in his class, and one for us at home. This is a Neapolitan cake from Waitrose. I'm not a big fan of bought cakes, as they are usually way too  sweet, but this one is really nice. It has three layers, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

best supermarket cakes, Chez Maximka

Last week I snapped a robin with an iPhone, this time I managed to catch it with a camera. I was working in the garden, sawing off some branches, and two robins kept watching me, moving around. They are both red-chested, and sooo cute. They bring me so much joy.

Chez Maximka, British birds

Friday was wet, with an incessant drizzle most of the day. The garden is looking pretty now, with hyacinths, and some of tulips bringing colour to the overall green and grey. 

Chez Maximka, garden in March

Saturday was a nice sunny day. Eddie and I walked in town, catching Pokemons. The graveyard around St Mary's Church looks full of colour, with daffodils appearing in full force.
My husband had his jab, and has been very unwell all Sunday. 

Eddie and I began to watch Wonder Woman 1984 on Amazon. It's not the best movie in the DC Extended Universe. Have you seen it? Give me Marvel films any day.

And how was your week?

Chez Maximka, churches in Oxfordshire


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. I don't agree with you, the picture with Sasha is wonderfully emotional for me, not like politicians and babies.

    It's great your husband got his vaccine, great news. Did he had the flu jab before and got symptoms for it? I imagine that I will have symptoms because I got some after the flu jab last year. Not that would put me off getting vaccinated, of course.
    The robin looks gorgeous.

    I published today a review for a book about dogs (on the book blog) and I thought of Eddie. It's a non-fiction, quite long book for a child, but it has plenty of pictures and I think it's appropriate for his age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, he didn't have a flu jab. I read your post about the book on dogs. I think we would need to find a similar one on cats. :)

      Delete
    2. I would read one on cats too :)

      Delete
  2. Sending love and hugs. That is so thoughtful about the card remembering your dad.
    What a gorgeous print for Sasha and the cake looks delicious. Happy belated birthday to him.
    I hope your husband is feeling better now.
    I can't get away with DC movies. They're just not the same as Marvel. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! We totally agree on the Marvel vs DC. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh how lovely that the anniversary of your dad’s passing was remembered. I can imagine that must have meant a lot. I can relate to that mixture of grief going alongside celebrations. I hope Sasha and your brother both had nice birthdays. I’m glad Sasha liked his poster and that is a lovely photo of him giving you a kiss. His birthday cake looks amazing. Hope your husband is feeling better now. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see so much love for you in that photo with Sasha. It's beautiful. I'm sorry it's been a week of such mixed emotions for you. I think all of our emotions are even more hightened at the moment. Love that poster and your robin shot is stunning #365

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am loving the capture of the Robin. Happy belated birthdays. The cake looks fab! I can relate to the mixed emotions. My brothers funeral was held on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh that cake looks lovely. Hope your husband didn't suffer for too long after his jab. I started watching Wonder Woman too, but got bored and turned off halfway through. Not really my type of film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the photo of you and Sasha, it is beautiful. I am sorry its been a tough week emotionally and that your husband has been poorly after his jab. The robin looks lovely and it is nice to see all the Spring flowers out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It did make me smile the bean bag and duvet issue. We have moments like this too. Totally understand your sadness on Sasha's birthday. I'm sure he was very happy with his day. I love the photo of you both. We didn't bother with the Wonder Woman film. I would watch it if it was on. I think we didn't mind the first one #365

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the photo of you and Sasha is lovely but I understand that your heart aches. Wonder Woman film doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid. Glad your hubby got his jab #project365

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to Sasha and your brother, how lovely of Eddie to remember about his grandad. We have the same issues with our eldest, I send cards, write letters and for birthdays and Christmas etc it's the same toiletries, cake and food items. If I'm honest it's more for the staffs benefit than ours. We do buy her clothes from time to time but she really doesn't wear them out to be replaced too often

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to Sasha. Sounds like you have very sensitive boys, love that they remembered your dad too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some weeks are like that.. a mixture of grief and happiness.. Happy birthday to Sasha..Hope he had a great day..It is a lovely photo of your both..Shahira..

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a tough week with a few highs and lows. The Neapolitan cake looks lovely! Will have to remember its a good cake when I need one next. Your robin picture is amazing, it would look fab framed!

    ReplyDelete