Sunday 10 May 2020

Photo diary: weeks 18 and 19, project 365


Last Sunday I spent in bed, with a high temperature, feeling sorry for myself. I was quite worried that I might have gotten the dreaded virus. Luckily, it had nothing to do with the virus, and all with an insect bite on my leg. I simply didn't put two and two together. I don't know what has actually bitten me, but reading descriptions of bites online after asking friends on Facebook, it most likely was the Blandford fly. I haven't heard of the Blandford fly before, my only association with the name is related to the Duke of Marlborough's family.
My leg got awfully swollen, red, hot to touch and extremely itchy. Plus, the bite caused my fever.

And now back to our two weeks of photos...

My husband and Eddie have gone on a long walk out of town, and discovered a new route which brings them back into town. They wanted to show it to me, and a few days later we did go together.
This photo was taken by my husband on their walk. It's pretty amazing how rural it looks just a short distance out of town.

Chez Maximka

Apple blossom in the garden, with the most delicate beautiful scent

Chez Maximka, spring garden

Sasha came back home from school with a surprise treat for us all - they baked a sponge cake. We all enjoyed it (it was a tad too sweet for me, but my boys loved it). It was most kind of them to send us a lovely cake.

Chez Maximka

Eddie was super keen to show me the out of town route they discovered a few days earlier, and off we went to explore. It was a lovely walk.
Chez Maximka, English countryside

After the rain in the night a lot of apple blossom petals fell on the lawn (or the remains of the lawn), covering it like a lacy shawl. Playing football and table tennis there has completely destroyed the grass.

Chez Maximka

Homeschooling continues, and there are new tasks added on Seesaw every day. One of the tasks from that week was to recreate The Big Wave by Hokusai. Eddie spent three days, working on his project, and I think he did a splendid job. I've already framed it.

Chez Maximka, children's educational activities

Walking into town for grocery shopping, I saw these cloud shapes which reminded me of galloping horses.

Chez Maximka, Witney sky

I didn't take any photos on Sunday, as I was feeling awful, trying to lower my temperature. It stayed 38.7C for most of the day.
I was much better on Monday, out of bed, and starting to potter around, though I still felt a bit weak.
As often happens on Mondays, I cooked tofu in Teriyaki sauce, one of Eddie's favourite meals (and he's not even a vegetarian).


Chez Maximka, vegan meals

Bananas were going rather slimey-black, and I baked a banana carrot bread with walnuts. It was delicious. My guys love to drizzle a bit of honey on it.
A few weeks ago I bought a set of Spode Italian Blue mugs on BrandAlley. I love Spode, and have quite a collection, mostly mismatched, as I buy pieces I like in charity shops. Oh, charity shops, when will we be able to visit them again?!

Spode Blue Italian, Chez Maximka

Eddie and I were sitting by the window, waiting for Sasha to arrive from school, and taking selfies (as you do). I don't bother with make-up these days, well, I do slap on the lipstick and foundation when I go out shopping.

Chez Maximka

Eddie and I love Astrid Lindgren's books. He has recently read the first book in the Pippi Longstocking series, and asked me to get more books for him. That's my happy boy, engrossed in the next instalment.

Chez Maximka

We peeked out of the door on Thursday when it was the clapping time. By the sound of it, people are losing enthusiasm. Or perhaps don't see the point of it, as it doesn't help the NHS.
I was chatting to a friend yesterday, whom I met on the way home from grocery shopping (we were at a distance). She works for the NHS, and said that though most people are friendly and lovely, her next door neighbour doesn't want to say Hello, and avoids looking at her, when people do the weekly clap.

Chez Maximka

Another task we found on Seesaw was to read a few pages from Tom's midnight garden, and take some photos, pretending to be Tom. Here is Eddie as Tom, bored to stay at his aunt and uncle's house indoors, waiting to find out whether he got measles like his younger brother.

Chez Maximka

We didn't do anything special for VE day on Friday. I baked brownies and we had tea in the garden. We also talked with Eddie about the war, and solved the Morse code tasks on Seesaw, which was quite fun.
Our teddy bear shop is closed, but they still decorated the window displays to mark the VE day.

My husband kept asking me to do his haircut. I did my best, honestly. Eddie looked and asked if I had a grudge against him. My dear husband looks like Blackadder (season 1). Well, he should have known better than asking me, hasn't he seen our children's haircuts?!

patriotic teddy bears, Tedy Bears of Witney, Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. Would loved a pic of the haircut! I'd not heard of the Blandford fly either - like you I only knew of the Marquis of Blandford. Sounds like it was a horrible reaction. Love Eddie's pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica, I can't add more cruelty and post his photo for everyone to chuckle. That would be not fair. :)

      Delete
  2. I spy a bumble bee cushion, love it, where is it from? Our numbers for clap for key workers dipped two weeks ago but was back to normal the following week. I love Pippi Longstockings it is my favourite childhood book, i used to wear my hair in pigtails and wear stripy socks. How lovely of Sasha's school to send home a cake for you all and I love how many interesting places there are to explore, near you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, I had to check my Insta PMs, as I won it on Insta over a year ago. It was from harrisoncropperinteriors = www.harrisoncropper.com don't know if they still have it. Glad to hear you loved Pippi, I think I loved Karlson on the roof more.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, as usual. I love the one in the field. Also, the wave painting he did is stunning, well done.

    We don't do clap for the NHS, which is appropriate, considering that neighbour 1 had friends over each weekend for the last 3 weeks, spending time laughing in the garden; neighbour 2 spent time chatting and playing with some of their friend's children; neighbour 3 went out with husband and 2 small children and we got their parcel for them. I'm not spying on them, just can't avoid hearing it as we have the door to the garden open most of the day. At least they don't get out to clap on a Thursday.
    As for us, I don't see the point in clapping. I'm doing other things, like avoiding to go shopping, keep at least 2m apart, wearing masks each time (I change them if I go into another shop), clean all the products I bought with disinfectant, unless they go into quarantine for 3 days. Of course, I could do all this and clap, but it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, your neighbours sound delightful. I can also hear children and grandchildren visiting our neighbour, when I'm out in the garden.

      Delete
  4. Awww I was looking forward to a giggle at the hair ! lol. Glad to hear you're feeling better - I'd never heard of the Blandford fly before either but it sounds nasty.Lovely to have found another walk - it looks very pretty.The cake looks delicious too. Pierre's going back to school tomorrow but it's only Monday/Tuesday as they're in a half class. Not sure how I feel about it, especially now that I'm carrying on working from home for now. We'll see !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The inset bite sounds really nasty, but you must have been relieved that it wasn't the virus. Eddie is looking so tall these days! His picture is amazing, he is such a talented artist. I love the look of your teriyaki tofu. My husband keeps saying he wants my daughter to cut his hair, but he hasn't quite braved it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! So sorry you were unwell. I hope you're feeling better now.
    Well done to Sasha with the cake. What a lovely treat.
    It looks like you've had some great walks.
    Fab photos x

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving all these home hair cuts. DD2 is desperate for one, she gets hers done every 6 weeks. Me and the other 2 are more every 18-24 month people, cant be bothered, don't see the point and hate the conversations they always want to have.
    So sorry you were feeling unwell, bites can be very nasty and cause underlying issues.
    Nice to find a new walk, none round here that we know of away from the back roads suitable for the dog apart from the woods.
    Great they did the bear shop up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading about your husband's haircut made me giggle - I'm going to have to attempt to cut my husband's hair soon and no doubt I will end up doing a similar job! I love Eddie's picture of the Big Wave and the sponge cake that Sasha brought home from school looks very yummy. Sorry to hear that you were unwell from the bite - it sounds like it was a very nasty one. How lovely to find a new route to explore while out on walks and the apple blossom is so pretty. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would loved to see a pic of the haircut. I'd not heard of the Blandford fly. Sounds like it was a horrible reaction. Love Eddie's pic. It's fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ewwww I'm glad you don't have the virus and are better now. That's a lovely landscape and apple blossom (I want to walk in these lovely places). Cake looks delicious. The wave looks amazing, well done! You look lovely and I love the hat. Hhahahha I hope his haircut isn't too bad

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cake looks so tempting! I am very impressed with the Big Wave drawing too. Talented bunch in your household! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well but glad it wasn't the virus!

    Love apple blossom...so pretty!

    The cake looks so good...we have done a fair bit of baking during lockdown.

    Those blue mugs are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  13. We live near Blandford and I have seen many people bitten by it, it is a horrible bite and can make you quite poorly. Glad you are feeling better and I love the teddies

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of Blandford fly either, who would have thought a bite could make someone so ill! My eldest loves reading too but only Horrible Histories and other non fiction #project366

    ReplyDelete