Sunday 24 May 2020

Photo diary: week 21, project 366

Life in the time of Covid is one long groundhog day. Everything is repeated in a cycle.
On top of our "exciting" life in the lockdown we have a new rather stressful development.
The house next door has been sold, and they started major works inside, breaking the wall, ripping the floors, rebuilding the conservatory. The noise of drilling and non-stop banging starts before 8am. Since we live in a terraced house, we are like prisoners of Zenda. There's no escape.
Conveniently the new neighbours do not live here, in fact we don't know if the house is going to be rented or sold on at a higher price later.

Who begins major building renovation works during the lockdown?! (insert a string of swear words)
Eddie and I tried to annoy the builders by playing out loud "Pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows" and the Eurovision called Uno (Russian entry). Any suggestions for highly annoying songs are most welcome.

Last Sunday I walked in town, and once again, admired this gorgeous lighting. Alas, it needs a modern style house, and won't fit with the old beams and old house features.

Chez Maximka, designer lighting

Eddie was looking like a little yeti with a fringe going down over his eyes. It was time to trim his hair. We both had a giggle at my hairdressing skills. But looking at some recent images on Insta from people I follow who subjected their family members to the lockdown hair cuts, my attempts are not that awful after all.

Chez Maximka, Harry Potter t=shirt

It was a hot May afternoon, and I was sitting in our garden on a picnic rug, engrossed in a crime book Silent Nights. It's a selection of short stories, which I really enjoy. Christmas tales of crime hold a special place in my heart. I have quite a collection of books of short stories set at Christmas.

Chez Maximka

One of Seesaw tasks was to create a model of states of matter from recycled materials, representing Solid, Liquid and Gas. I told my Mum on the phone that Eddie was working on it, and she got anxious, asking if it might explode. I told her: Mum, it's not a real gas.

Chez Maximka

The pond irises started blooming. The pond is an exaggerated name for an overgrown hole in the ground.

Chez Maximka, May garden, English garden

On Friday Eddie and I were watching Thor: The Dark World (again). I saw a short video recently that originally Tom Hiddleston auditioned for the role of Thor. Thanks goodness, they didn't offer it to him. He's perfect as Loki, and Chris Hemsworth makes a splendid Thor.

Chez Maximka, Avengers

From the bathroom window I saw this dove washing in the puddle on the roof top of our kitchen.

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

19 comments:

  1. We are renovating right now: changing the carpet with flooring in the living room, new bookcases (DIY at home). It is the perfect time for that, as we spend all the time at home, we don't spend money on days out or weekends away, we even got some refunds for events that were cancelled. But, of course, no drilling or banging at 7am, that is inappropriate lockdown or not. Usually, before work, we do things like painting.

    Love the pigeon, he is having a good time. Eddie's project looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, I know a lot of people do painting/shelving/carpet jobs in the house right now, but these do not count as a major upheaval for your neighbours.
      What I meant is the incessant noise of drilling, which gives us a big headache. Also Sasha is very noise-sensitive, being severely autistic, for him it's pure torture.
      I did ask them how long they plan to work on the house, they said 2 months. Hopefully, it won't be so noisy all the time.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully they will finish with the big projects and start painting and carpeting. Regardless, 7 is too early to start. I don't even use the vacuum cleaner at that hour.

      Delete
  2. Aagghhh what a nightmare to have noisy building work going on and to not be able to go out to escape. Hopefully the noisy stuff will all be done soon. Love Eddie's project work - well done ! - and your mum made me giggle ! The dove and the pond irises are lovely - a little bit of nature from your windows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cheryl, I couldn't stop laughing when she asked if it would explode. I should have explained the project better. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh no! That does sound so annoying with the work being done next door. Good on Eddie for trying to annoy the builders. The trick is to find the most annoying song and put it on repeat. hehehe I'd go for something like Barbie Girl or something sung by Alvin & the Chipmunks. lol
    Eddie's new haircut did make me chuckle. At least he can see now.
    Oh I do love Thor. I always like to remind the kids that I remember watching him in Home & Away. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the DIY pigeon bath. Had to laugh at your mum worrying Eddie may explode with his science project and there's nothing wrong with his haircut, you've done a good job

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you did a very good job with Eddie's hair! I don't envy you having all that noise next door. It must be driving you mad! Baby Shark on repeat would be annoying (although unfortunately it would be annoying for you too!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the hair cuts. I love that lamp. I had to through out my soap as it constantly played baby shark, it drove me nuts x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Starting work before 8am is ridiculous! I feel for you!

    Had to smile at your mum and worrying about a potential explosion!

    The pond iris is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate the sound of drilling so early in the morning. Cool lamp. That's a cute yeti hairstyle. Hhaahaha cute mom. I love the flowers. That's a lovely dove. True, Tom and Chris are awesome in their respective roles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must be so annoying having to put up with building works going on next door when you can't escape from it. Well done on cutting Eddie's hair. I've had to cut my husband's and son's hair although thankfully Sophie's is just being left to grow long and she's growing her fringe out. Love the photo of the dove having a bath in the puddle. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  10. the renovations will be very annoying, sadly they wont hear your irritating music above their own din.
    There is a puddle on the road opposite us when it rains and all the birds use it.
    Great picture of Edie with his hair cut, as long as he is happy with it all is right with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous is Thor!!! :) (swoon) Good film choice!
    I am sorry about the builders next door, why are they starting so early? That is so unfair! I experienced it last summer when new neighbours moved in. The conservatory was torn down at 8am on a Saturday morning and banging used to go on until 11pm on a Friday evening. It was a nightmare. During lockdown though, it's not nice, you don't have an escape at all. Hopefully it will be over soon! Hope you have had a lovely week despite all the noise! Sim x #Project366

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no I am sorry about the renovations. What a nightmare.Hopefully most the the big work is done and then they will move to decorating which will fingers crossed be quieter.
    I think you did a great job with Eddies hair. I need to do the boys although I am only going to attempt the fringe. The husband will not let me near his!
    Love the Iris apparently my husband wants to put a pond in our garden. I am fearing lockdown has finally got the better of him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pond irises are gorgeous, we saw some on our walk this week too. I love that light too, so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful are the pond irises! I feel for you stuck with renovation work next door during lockdown. I hope they get it done quickly, so you get some peace. Oooh love a bit of Thor! Could easily watch that on repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have my sympathy for the noise! Our neighbours had an extension done and it was impossible to work from home plus it was when Zach was little and I couldn't get him to have naps due to the noise. Life does feel quite monotonous now :( #project366

    ReplyDelete
  16. The house across from us is having work done and it's so noisy, you have my sympathy. We did haircuts here and I can say that you have done a far better job than I did
    #project365

    ReplyDelete