Saturday 15 December 2018

Photo diary: week 50, project 365

If I was going to describe the last week in two words, it would be messy and difficult. Christmas is just over a week away, and I'm so unprepared.
We started Sash on new meds, as his anxiety has sky-rocketed recently. It's been 2 weeks since he's trying it, and so far I don't see a massive improvement. I've been rejecting the whole idea for a long time. If you read the leaflet which comes with the meds, it makes a very depressing and scary reading. The possible side effects are horrible. And this medication for anxiety and sleeplessness could cause his anxiety and insomnia get even worse. I feel awfully guilty, giving it to him, as it's obviously our decision enforced on him.

Last Sunday a friend brought in a huge tray of vegetables and fruit from the market. He goes to the market at the closing time, and buys a lot of food for a fraction of a price.



On Monday I only did more of boring food snaps, so here is the top nine photos posted on Insta for the last year. Every year my top 9 is a bit of a surprise, as these are not exactly the photos I'd pick myself as my favourites. I don't think I will ever crack the mystery of Insta's likes (not that I've been doing much about it anyway). I find Insta a very fickle field.
You post one photo of something vegetarian/vegan, then there's a flurry of vegans following you. The next day if you post something with cheese or cream, they immediately unfollow you, as if you've committed a crime of the century.
I'm now rather wary of any new followers. Just have a quick look at my feed, before deciding whether you like it or not. Especially those who have about one zillion followers, and follow only 15. I never follow back, as they never-ever stay. I've no idea why do they even bother? It's like a vanity project for them. OK, a rant against smug Instagrammers is over, as it's really a petty non-issue.
It's just a mild irritant.


On Tuesday I went to Oxford with Eddie's school to see Dick Whittington panto at the Playhouse. It was quite amusing, and definitely better than the last year's performance. You are not allowed to take photos during the panto, but I snapped this disco ball during the recess.


On Wednesday Sash was off school with a virus, and I didn't have a chance to take any photos, so here is another photo form the day before - fluffy clouds.


Sasha was better the next day, but still at home.
Every year I buy a couple of Christmas tree decorations. This one is a Gisela Graham ornament. I bought it in the Burford garden centre, when my Mum was staying with us.


On Friday Sasha's stomach bug was back with vengeance, and he had a bad night, poor thing. I took Eddie to school just to get out of the house and clear the head. It was a cold morning. We walked through the flood fields, and every grass blade was frosted over.


Not as frosty today, but raining instead. I need to start wrapping up the gifts for my boys. These two pop-heads are part of a Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts haul I got for Eddie. I know he's just going to love them.



16 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on inflicting medication on your son, and sadly there are side effects to everything and sometimes they are worse than what the medication is helping and then give them something else that requires more medication. Glad you managed to get out to blow away the cobwebs.
    Not your usual sort of Christmas decoration.
    Love the fluffy clouds picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine, it's such a dilemma re medication. I think we'll try to last a month, and then maybe revise.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear Sasha has been poorly and sorry to hear about the meds too. I really hope they start working for him soon. I love your new Christmas tree decoration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I feel bad, making him take the meds, and hoping they will work.

      Delete
  3. Poor Sasha, and poor you too - it's never easy taking this kind of decision. Pierre was off sick with ear ache at the end of the week too so I feel your pain ! Love the veg box - I used to be on a scheme a few years ago and loved it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, I used to buy Abel & Cole veg boxes, but they only deliver once a week, and it's not convenient.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear the issues with the medication.

    As for Instagram, you don't have to think about it too much. People will follow/unfollow using apps. If you don't follow back within 24 hours or something like that, the app will unfollow for them. So they might not even see what you've posted. It's very annoying, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca! I didn't even think about the apps doing it for you, I wouldn't want to rely on something which takes decisions for you.

      Delete
  5. Oh no! That sounds awful about Sash's new medication. I hope they start to help soon.
    I am going to have to have a look what my top photos are for the year!
    Those clouds are so fluffy!
    Brr! There has been some very cold mornings. Thankfully I haven't had to go out in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! The weather was milder in the last week in comparison.

      Delete
  6. I don't get Instagrams algorithms either. I buy a couple of new decorations each year, mainly souvenirs on holiday. I understand fully with Sasha's medication, we've had to make these decisions with our daughter also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! It's so hard to take this kind of decisions, as nobody can predict what the outcome would be.

      Delete
  7. It must be really tough with sorting meds, I hope they start to help him without the side effects. IG drives me insane, I've given up on it really, love your mixture of shots. #365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! The meds so far haven't shown much difference in his anxiety levels, but he does sleep a bit better, so that's something.

      Delete
  8. I am going vegan in January but it is a personal choice so would never unfollow anyone for not being vegan as everyone is entitled to make their own choices #project365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going vegan for a month (Veganuary) or moving on to veganism altogether? Full respect, but I don't think I could do it.

      Delete