Sunday 25 February 2018

Muesli cookies

healthier cookies


I'm not a muesli person. If I must have a cereal in the morning, I'd rather go for plain cornflakes or Special K. When I was a kid, we never had cereals for breakfast. Cornflakes were something you read about in books set in the States. We would have a variety of porridge or cooked kasha in the morning, or "proper" hot meals on a cold and frosty morning. It's only in my 20s that I started eating dried cereals, and I've never acquired a particular fondness for muesli, even the most fancy ones.

These days (I sound like a hundred-year-old, don't I?!) there is such a variety of muesli and granola that you can almost get lost in the muesli aisle.

The latest food box from Degustabox had a box of Primrose's Kitchen Raw Beetroot and Ginger Muesli as their product of the month.
It is a creative and colourful combination of fresh English beetroot, ginger, British gluten free oats and virgin coconut oil, with some extras like nuts, seeds, psyllium husk and chia.



The Primrose's Kitchen range of natural food is well-known among the health-conscious public. The brand is the brainchild of Primrose Matheson who did Naturopathic and Complementary health studies and has a degree in Homeopathy. She used her knowledge to create a range of the natural and wholesome food which includes muesli and granola, nut and seed butter, sprinkles and smoothie boosters.
I have reviewed some of her products over a year ago.

Beetroot muesli look pretty, with big thin slices of coconut. I bake a variation of oat cookies every week, as my guys love them, and thought the beetroot muesli could be a nice new ingredient to play with.

healthier cookies


Muesli cookies
Ingredients:
90g caster sugar
100g margarine (I use Stork)
100g muesli
130g+ self-raising flour
1 small egg
1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder

Cream the margarine with sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the muesli, flour and the beaten egg, mix well, forming the dough.
Divide the dough in half, and mix one half with sifted cocoa powder to add a bit of colour.
Pinch a small walnut-sized piece of dough of each colour and roll it into a ball, then squish it into a crescent and place two coloured halves together on trays lined with parchment paper or special cookie baking sheets, flatten them lightly so that they are held together.

that's what the cookies look when raw


Bake them for about 15 minutes until golden at 180C. Don't overcook, they are still soft when you take them out.

healthier cookies, muesli as baking ingredient


I appreciate many people would not consider margarine in baking. I find it that when baking cookies with butter, they tend to go shapeless while those which are margarine-based are keeping their shape.
I use either Stork or Flora light in baking cookies. The cakes are a different kettle of fish, for cakes I prefer a real butter, with Anchor being my top choice. 

healthier cookies

healthier cookies


Adding this recipe post to the #KitchenClearout linky run by Cheryl at Madhouse Family Reviews, since I used the very last tablespoon of cocoa in this recipe, as well as some margarine which expired - ahem - a while ago. 


2 comments:

  1. Ooh fab way of using up the museli - love the two-tone effect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! I've made another batch today, in one colour.

      Delete