Wednesday 10 May 2017

Asparagus, kale & Dolcelatte pasta

vegetarian meals, vegetarian pasta


I am not a big fan of kale, I find its texture too fibrous and tough. I feel a bit like a farm animal eating its share of roughage to keep healthy. I have tried it in many dishes, and haven't warmed up to it. It might be a super food, but it's not a happy food for me.
Seeing friends posting on social media how much they enjoy kale crisps and salads makes me question my dislike of kale every time. Do I cook it the right way? I have read numerous articles on how to cook it properly, and which mistakes to avoid. I still don't like it. Sorry, kale, our relationship is not working. It's not you. It's me.
In a fit of healthy thinking, I bought a bunch of fresh kale. What was I thinking? My mind must have been muddled up by the lack of sleep yet again.
I decided to cook a healthy vegetarian dinner with very healthy whole wheat pasta.

There was a pack of Garofalo whole wheat penne pasta in the latest Degustabox delivery.
I confess we typically eat just standard wheat pasta, not whole wheat. The taste is different, so is the texture. It does have health benefits obviously.

Asparagus, kale & Dolcelatte pasta
Ingredients:
about 5-6 big kale leaves, shredded thinly
2 cloves of garlic
6tbsp olive oil
1 medium courgette, sliced
a small pack of asparagus tips
about 80g of Dolcelatte cheese (I used just over a half of 150g pack)
penne pasta

In a deep frying pan heat the oil and throw in thinly shredded kale. I read that you need to slice it thinly, as in making slaw. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped garlic and sliced courgette. Add the chopped asparagus too. Cook for another 6 minutes or so. You might add a little bit of hot water, while cooking the veg. Add the Dolcelatte in the last minute, stir in the vegetables. The cheese will melt and coat the greens.
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water. Drain, mix with the vegetables. Serve hot, with a bit of Grana grated on top.

Italian pasta recipes

OK, what's the verdict? It was edible. Next time though I would use other greens, like chard. It has more flavour and is less chewy.
What's your take on kale? Are you a big fan or a kale refusenik?


vegetarian pasta

Linking up my very green pasta recipe with #EatYourGreens linky hosted by A2K and The Veg Hog.


8 comments:

  1. Oh its a shame that your still not keen on kale, I love it and its often in my home served as a side dish, I am even trying to grown some. Still love this pasta dish, thank you so much for sharing with #EatYourGreens - the round up will be up at the end of the month. PS I like dolcelatte too, have not had it in a long while, will have to pick some up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen, perhaps a homegrown kale, when young, tastes better. I still prefer beet leaves or chard to kale.

      Delete
  2. I can eat kale if I have to but it's not one of my favourite foods ! I actually prefer it once it's been frozen then cooked - it seems slightly less tough and chewy than fresh. I'd still chose it over quinoa any day though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip, Cheryl! I must try to freeze it and then cook from frozen. I am not keen on the chewy texture.

      Delete
  3. Saw this on your IG, it looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fede! This is my attempt at eating healthy. :)

      Delete
  4. I like kale though would prefer cavalo nero - kale crisps is probably the way to go. I like it stir fried with South Indian spicing and carrots. I am with you on pasta, I don't like wholemeal pasta and get enough roughage in my diet to allow me to enjoy white. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray! I like the sound of stir frying it with carrots and spices, must try it.

      Delete