Sunday 28 November 2021

Photo diary: weeks 46 and 47, project 365

 "All the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey" - it's just about right, when you look out at the garden. Most of the leaves are on the ground, dried and shrivelled. There is some greenery though, from the evergreens, like the huge cypress, or blasted climbing shrubs, taking over the stone walls. 

We have a big garden, which borders five different gardens, and only one set of neighbours is keeping their wall clear. 

I tried to chop up some of the overgrown shrubs on the stone wall next to the house, which are hanging from the neighbours' side. One big wheelie bin is packed full, and there is still a lot to chop off. I have collected some of the leaves in the bin bags, and they are waiting for their turn to be emptied.

And while I was working in the garden, I kept singing to myself, All the leaves are brown. Which reminds me, that a while ago, when I was singing California Dreamin' to myself, Eddie asked me, Who is Lisa Brown. So from then on, this song is Lisa Brown for me.

I haven't been taking photos for Project 365 every day, as I'm utterly lacking in motivation. Most of the week I am staying at home now that my big boy is going to college only twice a week. When my husband is around, he takes Sash out. Otherwise, we are doing activities at home, and have some fresh air in the garden.

Some of the days I would have several pictures on the go, some - nothing at all.

We had some beautiful sunsets in November, the colours always make me think that Nature is the biggest artist of them all.

Chez Maximka

And while we had a relatively mild weather, my brother sent me several photos of their wintery landscapes, including this lion who looks frozen amidst all that snow.

Chez Maximka, winter in Russia

I did a few more pen and ink challenge prompts on Insta, including this little drawing of Sasha. The theme was Picnic. I used an old photo of Sasha from when he was around three years old. He loved boxes, and whenever there was a box big enough for him to climb in, he would do it. In the actual photo he's sitting in a toy chest, but I put him in the picnic basket from F&M.

Chez Maximka, markers, F&M basket

On Tuesday we watched the semi-finals on GBBO, and were left aghast that Jurgen was voted off, as he did so well in the technical challenge, while Chigs made a total mess with his bake. I have a feeling Paul and Prue didn't like the German baker very much, especially Paul. He gave three contestants his shitty handshake, and left Jurgen out. I could never understand this handshake business, to me it feels super patronising, like a king dispensing a largesse, and the peasants tugging their forelocks in excessive deference. I would be mortified if Paul tried to give me a handshake (you can say, I'm not a fan).

More ink and pen/brush sketches from that week... for no particular reason, just trying a new paper pad, which is supposed to be good for inks.

Chez Maximka, Galina Varese art

Another cheeseboard picture... with British and Irish cheeses, like Cashel Blue, Cornish Yarg and Ash Goat's cheese. 

Chez Maximka, British cheese

We popped into the lighting shop to get a bedside lamp for Eddie's bedroom. It happened that the choice was made for us, as they only had a sloth lamp left (which was my favourite all along). I took it out of the box to check if it works, and in it went back in the box until Christmas.

My husband looked at it, and commented that it was horrid. Well, Eddie and I like it. Are you camp Husband or Camp Eddie and I? I do know it is pretty kitsch, but also unusual and cute.

So far all the Christmas gifts I bought for Eddie, were bought in his presence. I need to get him some surprise gift too. 

Chez Maximka, unusual lighting

A quick visit to Costa on Sunday: I tried a new After Eight muffin. Don't know why I thought it was a good idea, I don't even like the After Eight chocolates. The chocolate muffin would have been lovely, if not for the mint toothpaste inside.

Chez Maximka, After Eight muffin

On Monday my friend Jen took me to the Burford Garden Centre. It was packed full. Too crowded for my liking. I did buy a few sweet treats for Christmas, including some of our favourite Italian chocolate.

Talking of chocolate, don't miss my annual 12 days of Chocolate giveaway, starting on 1 December. Some lucky person will get over 1kg 200g of chocolate with other lovely festive treats. I always enjoy choosing different chocolate bars for each day of the giveaway.

Chez Maximka,


I find Instagram an exciting source of discoveries. A post from BeeHype Honey has appeared on my Insta feed, and being a big honey lover, I checked out their site. 

I ordered a Salted honey (utterly delish!) and a lovely Ultimate Honey lover box, which includes Special Acacia single source raw honey, Dreamy Creamy spreadable raw wildflower honey, Lavish Lavender pure raw honey, It's Nuts mixed nuts in honey, Jammin' Strawberries in acacia honey, a cute mug, a candle, lip balm and beeswax food wraps. The box costs £49.95.

So, if you're looking for more unusual Christmas gifts for a foodie in your life, this artisan raw honey would be perfect. Don't forget to subscribe to their newsletter for their 10% off first order. The postage is free for orders over £30. 


Chez Maximka, single origin raw honey

It was the GBBO final the day before. The best baker won, I'm delighted that Giuseppe was crowned the winner, though I wish they kept Jurgen 'til the final, as that would have been an even more competitive event.
Were you pleased with the result (or disappointed)?

When they had to bake the Belgian buns without any instructions, I couldn't even remember what they were supposed to look like. I never buy them, and certainly never baked them in my life. The next day I bought two Belgian buns out of curiosity. They were OKish, but not something I would rush to buy again.

Chez Maximka, GBBO

Our little Windrush river is very polluted, as Thames Water keeps dumping untreated sewage in the river. It is slowly dying, and you see less and less wildlife, as their habitat is being poisoned. The locals protest, write petitions, appeal to the local authorities, but nothing is being done. 

If anything, our local Conservative MP (I didn't vote for him) voted down an amendment to the Environment Bill which sought to stop Thames Water and other greedy companies who only care about profit from dumping sewage in the local rivers.

Chez Maximka, the ducks

I love this old gate in Puck Lane. It feels like the path might take you to some fairytale destination.


Chez Maximka

Heritage was one of the prompts for the pen and ink challenge on Insta. As we live in a town with the origins in the Anglo-Saxon times, I decided to do a drawing of King Edgar the Peaceful, trying to imitate the illuminated letter, as in the medieval manuscripts. I used several Diamine inks, with a fountain pen and brush, as well as some markers.

Chez Maximka, Galina Varese art

On Saturday we finally had a chance to watch Shang Chi. I would watch anything from MCU, but it's not my favourite MCU film. Surprised to see how much praise it received on Twitter, with some people claiming it to be the best MCU film ever. What? Not the Avengers Assemble, or Endgame, or Thor Ragnarok, or any Spidey movie?! 
It's not that I don't enjoy martial arts films, if anything, I love The house of flying daggers which has an astonishing choreography and stunning scenery, and very beautiful actors. But Shang Chi left me unimpressed. Have you seen it? What did you think?

We woke up to see the first snow of the season, it was dancing in the air in big fluffy clusters, but melted on the ground. 

Eddie and I are still reading The Enemy by Charlie Higson, which was recommended to us at the local book shop. It's the first book in the zombie horror series for pre-teens and teens. Very gory, savage and brutal, but also well-written. I can see why it reached the cult status. I'm not even a fan of zombie books or films, but I am hooked.

At bedtime I am reading See Them Run by Marion Todd, the first book in Detective Clare Mackay series. I bought the kindle book quite a while ago. It's a clever police procedural, with an intriguing plot and a gutsy main protagonist.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Chez Maximka



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have been busy in the garden. The sunsets lately have been amazing. I always notice them as I am cooking tea.
    Your art work is fantastic and I love that lamp. How cute.
    I fancy watching the Shang Chi film but I don't think it will be one of my favourites either. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lisa Brown lol. Good luck with sorting the neighbours stray shrubs etc. We had a similar issue with one neighbour, caused our fence to collapse, told her if it happened again she'd be paying for it. The ink drawings are fab, as is the pink sky. I personally wouldn't even try the after eight cake or drink, doesn't appeal to me at all, but I do love a Belgium bun, but I've no idea how they're made. I'm camp you and Eddie with the lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I'm team husband, let's say that lamp would not have been my first choice.

    Quite annoying with the water and pollution. The only option is to keep pushing until something is done about it. Because it seems like a local problem is also seen as a small problem, but pollution affects us all.

    Gardening is really rewarding, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woahhhh your pen and ink drawings are amazing!!!!! I wouldn't even know where to start but the picture of Sasha in the F&M basket is fantastic, it captures the essence perfectly!
    The skies have been amazing recently, purples, pinks and reds... I do not know if this is a good sign or not! :/
    Those Belgian buns do look very tasty, I could eat enough of them for you and me! :) Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eddie asking ‘who is Lisa Brown’ where you were singing California Dreaming made me smile. That sunset photo is beautiful. I love your drawings – that one of Sasha when he was three is beautiful. I like Eddie’s lamp – it’s unusual. Salted honey sounds amazing – I will have to check out BeeHype Honey. I’m not a big fan of Belgian buns either – too sweet for me. How awful that your river is being polluted and nothing is being done about it. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your drawings are amazing especially the one of Sasha, you are very talented. I am definitely camp Eddie on the lamp although sloths are a favourite of mine. I am the same with photos at the moment really struggling to get the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sunset picture!

    I was shocked too when Jurgen left. He deserved a place in the final.

    Love your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love finding companies on instagram too, lots of lovely gift ideas which seem more interesting. Love the BeeHype mug. Another incredible drawing, you really do have a talent just like your son. The cheeseboard looks tempting. My husband loves those buns, I am like you they are okay lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was gutted that Jurgen went, I think he deserved to be a finalist and think he would have won it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your artwork! In winter you have the added problem of poor lighting when you want to take photos which combines with fewer opportunities to get out and motivation to take pics. #project365

    ReplyDelete