Monday 20 September 2021

Photo diary: week 37, project 365

 As I was editing this post, I heard shocking news on TV about the shooting at the Perm University, my old alma mater. I am watching the videos of students escaping through the windows. Eight people are shot dead, more are wounded. My heart goes to all students and teaching staff. 

Anxious to hear about my niece who is a student at the University, I messaged my brother. My niece was off sick this morning and didn't attend her classes. He shared the image of the message on Viber which was sent to everyone at Uni.

It says, "Attention! If you're at the University at the moment, if you are in an auditorium, please try to lock the room from inside and stay there. If you're on the campus, leave it, if possible. If you're on the way to the University, turn back." Heart-breaking.


When such events happen, everything else appears banal and unimportant. I was hesitant about publishing this post altogether as all my chit-chat feels quite trite in comparison to how I feel at the moment.


Last week I read A Murder at Rosings by Annette Purdey Pugh. This is a sequel to Pride and Prejudice, which centres on the happenings at Rosings. Mary, the overlooked middle Bennet girl with less charisma and talent than her sisters is taking a leading part in this story.

Chez Maximka, Jane Austen sequel


We had a fair in town for a couple of days. My younger son was very keen to go. I wasn't enthusiastic about them mixing in the crowds, but who ever listens to me?! Off they go, my husband and Eddie. Later they come back looking sheepish. It so happened that Eddie has pulled a muscle on his neck on one of the rides, not sure if it was technically a whiplash, but he couldn't move his head to one side.

He was still in pain for the next coupld of days. You can spot him in the photo (taken by my DH), in a black and blue top, grinning happily.

Chez Maximka

My greenhouse tomatoes are finally beginning to ripen. I took a picture of this beauty and ate it later, it was delicious. 

Chez Maximka

On Thursday morning I had a quick coffee and chat with my bestie in town, early in the morning, while my husband looked after Sasha. I was finally able to give her a big pack of Smugglers' Brew, tea which I always buy when we stay in Cornwall.

Cooking Cornish sardines with a wild coastal mix (sea beet, sea aster and salty fingers) for lunch. I love the flavour of the coastal mix, and it makes me think of our lovely holidays in Cornwall. I buy it at Abel and Cole.


Peeking through the curtains late at night. The street lamps are pretty bright, and our Virginia creeper is taking over the front of the house, despite me trimming it several times this year. 

Chez Maximka

Our local Waterstones has a new window display, dedicated to one of their books of the month, The Wolf Den. Have you read it? I think I will buy it at some point, as the reviews are pretty good, and the plot sounds fascinating.

Chez Maximka

Stay safe, wherever you are. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! How scary for everyone at that university. It bet it makes you glad that your niece was off sick. Sending love and hugs.
    Fab photos. Eddie does look like he's having fun at the fair. Shame about the pulled muscle. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I can't help thinking how terrified those poor kids must have been, barricading in the rooms, jumping out of windows.

      Delete
  2. What a scare. Luckily she was sick and thus safe. I can't even imagine how horrifying it is to learn about a shooting at a place you went to. I understand that the shooter is a student. Very distressing.

    I hope Eddie will feel better soon. These things can happen, but are annoying nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horrific situation at the hospital. Hope Eddie's sore neck is back to normal soon. Once Witney has the fair it means it's coming to us in a few weeks. We've not been for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your niece is safe, condolences to the families who lost a loved one, it's tragic.
    Hope Eddie's neck is better by now. The fish looks lovely and the tomato is fab, hope it tastes as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awful that eight students were killed in the shooting at your old university. I cannot imagine how terrifying that must have been. I’m glad that your niece was safe. These kind of things hit so much harder when there is a personal connection – they’re awful enough to read about just as something in the news but so much worse when there is that link. Murder at Rosings sounds like an interesting book – I’ve read a few Pride and Prejudice sequels but not that one. Hope Eddie is now fully recovered from pulling a neck muscle on the fairground ride. That tomato looks delicious as do the sardines. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those tomatoes are huge - well done. Glad to hear that your family are all safe and well

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awful! I am pleased to hear your niece was not at school but to recieve that text must have been heart stopping. I hope Eddie is doing okay and it is nothing serious, my two love a fairground too. And well done on the tomatoes ours are still green! I am thinking I may have to give up and make green tomato chutney or something as really can not see them ripening now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard that pieceof news, how tragic. I love the sound of Murder at Rosings as I really love Pride and Prejudice: will definitely be adding to my book pile. #project365

    ReplyDelete