Sunday 5 September 2021

Photo diary: week 35, project 365

 We said Good bye to summer and greeted September, not without a certain degree of apprehension. The evenings are getting dark much earlier now, and the mornings have that mild crispy chill which is unmistakably autumnal.

Eddie started school, while Sash will have the first day of college tomorrow. Thankfully, his transport has been sorted out, but sadly, it is a totally new company, so everything will be new for him: college, staff, class mates and transport. It won't be easy for him to adjust. He seems eager to go, but I'm not sure how much he understands that he won't see his old school again.

Our garden is not particularly colourful at the moment. The leaves are still green, and most flowers are over, apart from a few phloxes, cyclamens and single roses. The iris seed pods add a touch of colour.

Chez Maximka, garden in September

My life has been so uneventful in the last couple of weeks, since I haven't been out. Hence my photos are quite unimaginative. I was looking at the chocolate offers on Ocado (as you do), and spotted new Ritter Sport flavours. Of course, I just had to try them. 

Marhaba Yogurt Honey Hazelnuts sounds better than it tastes, though it didn't last long here, as we're all chocoholics. 
Hula Hula Coconut Wafer is a lovely discovery, I will definitely buy it again. 
Have you tried these flavours?

Chez Maximka

Eddie and I started another Marvel marathon, watching all films from the beginning (we decided to skip Hulk, as it's not one of our favourites). Loki is as gorgeous as always. And I just love all the banter and jokes.




My DH is coming back from Italy tonight. Seeing the reports from the Heathrow, I suspect he'll be stuck there for a while on his arrival, but no sympathy from me. He's been away for two weeks, and left us in a predicament.

I asked him to take some photos of my in-laws' house for Sasha, as he loves looking at the pictures of familiar places. 

Chez Maximka

On Thursday Eddie had to go to school to have a Covid test. While in the queue, he sent me a selfie to let me know he arrived at school safely. 
They are not allowed to have a phone in school, but did ask to bring it on that day to register the app.


On Friday it was a shorter school day for him. Some photos from eight years before have popped up among the Memories on FB, taken on his first day at the nursery. Goodness, how small and cute he was. I will probably say the same in eight years' time, looking at this picture.


Yesterday I finished reading Polly Heron's The Surplus Girls' Orphans, set in Manchester in 1929. This is the second book in the series, and a very enjoyable read, immersive and moving, with a lovable main protagonist. Also very interesting social history. 


And how did your week go?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

14 comments:

  1. I have noticed the dark nights. I don't like it. Summer seems to have gone in a flash.
    I hope the return to college for Sash has gone OK, especially with the new transport.
    I haven't heard of that Ritter Sport chocolate. The flavours do sound interesting.
    Loki is one of my favourites from Marvel. Such a great character.
    Eddie looks very smart for the return to school. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, Ritter Sport has a good range of chocs. I love their dark/milk whole hazelnuts, and marzipan is yummy too.

      Delete
  2. It's great that the transportation problem is now solved. I hope Sasha will like his new school.
    I haven't seen the Ritter Sport. It's a shame these aren't vegan because I would have bought them. I've been to the Ritter Sport factory while I was visiting Germany many years ago and I like trying new chocolate from them. These days it seem that I only get their marzipan one, which is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, I remember seeing Vegan Ritter Sport, I think they had a range for Veganuary. Had a quick look on Amazon, and they have two vegan chocs: vegan with hazelnuts and amaranth, and vegan with sesame. They are a bit more pricey than their non-vegan flavours. I'm quite curious to try the sesame one.

      Delete
    2. Aww, I had no idea. I looked and those two options are sold by German sellers. That's a shame. I'm not willing to pay £7 for shipping, which is not overpriced, the delivery service is expensive. Maybe these options will arrive in shops in UK too, I'd love to try them.

      Delete
    3. I didn't realise they were sent from Germany, that makes the chocolate very expensive indeed. Let's hope they will start selling it in the British shops too. Unless you can find them in some German delis in London?

      Delete
  3. Glad Sasha's transport is sorted, hope his starting the new school goes well. Eddie looks very smart. Unusual to see a secondary without a blazer. Round here, they all have them (since changing to academies - urgh!). I'm off normal chocolate at the moment, but I do like a couple of the ritter sports. The coconut one would be my choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! Two main secondaries in our town have jumpers rather than blazers. It was a relief about Sasha's transport.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully Sasha will be able to settle into his new routine and that the buses aren't the problem they've been in previous years and covid doesn't rear up again to disrupt him. Hope Eddie is enjoying being back in school. i love the idea of a no phone policy. Hope you can get out and about a bit more when your husband gets back

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh those Ritter Sport flavours look yummy – will have to look out for those. Hope Eddie is settling in well back at school. Glad that transport is sorted out for Sasha and good luck to him with adjusting to all the changes. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am noticing the darker nights and colder mornings especially as with work I am out much earlier now. I hope Sasha's first day went okay for you all and he has adjusted okay. I love the sound of the coconut chocolate will keep an eye out for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really not looking forward to the dark nights!

    Those flavours look good! Might have to try them.

    Glad the transport issue is sorted and hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My eldest started secondary too and had the 'fun' of LFT on the first day. Hope Sasha settles in well at college and adjusts to the changes. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was watching the marvel movies the same time as you but I have them on in the background as I work. This means I always spot something new. I need to watch Loki, we started it but didn't get into it. I hope college and school are going well and the change went well #365

    ReplyDelete