Sunday 12 September 2021

Photo diary: week 36, project 365

 Yesterday's 20th anniversary of 9/11 brought back lots of memories. We lived in New Haven, CT, at the time, I was pregnant with our first son. That morning my husband called me from the office and asked if I've seen the news. I switched on the TV, and watched with horror the tragic events. Just a few weeks before we strolled in New York, and went to the cinema. We used to take a train to NYC from New Haven every few weeks to visit the museums, galleries, cinema. On that day we didn't know how the world would change.

I was looking at the photos from our life in the States, and found some pics from the time when my brother and his wife stayed with us for a short visit in 2000. There is a picture of two of them, smiling happily. You turn the photo, and it says World Trade Center. 

Chez Maximka

This week I've been reading a WWI romance The Warring Heart by Ros Rendle. The plot centres around the marriage of convenience, and the emotional journey the main character goes through. I didn't warm up to the heroine, finding her rather shallow and immature. 

There are vivid descriptions of the Great War, but none too graphic. There are some amorous scenes too, but overall this book is what the Americans describe as a clean romance.

Chez Maximka, fiction set during WWI

On Monday Sasha woke up early, very excited to go to college. My impression is that he expected to go to his old school, because he arrived back home looking disappointed. Hope as time goes, he will realise that he has to accept the fact that he won't be going back to his much-loved old school.

I had a quick coffee at Costa, and without kids it definitely felt like a treat. Their lemon muffins are to die for, so tasty, with the lemony zing.

Chez Maximka

Another grocery delivery from Ocado, and another couple of Ritter Sport chocolate bars, this time a Buenos Dias White Mango Passion Fruit and Cashew. Both way too sweet. I had high hopes for the Cashew flavour as it promised salted cashews, but the nuts are not salty enough, while the milk chocolate tastes of nothing but sugar. Won't be buying any of these flavours again.

Chez Maximka

While Sasha was in college for a three-hours' session, and Eddie at school, I ventured into the local book shop. I spotted this display of books, inspired by the Greek myths and legends. And while I love the Greek myths, I think this trend for re-told/re-imagined stories, with a modern, often feminist twist, is becoming a bit unimaginative.

It's as if authors cannot come up with new independent ideas of their own. When the Harry Potter series was published, so many copycats about schools for magicians have sprouted overnight.
Or Cressida Cowell's HTTYD series "inspired" zillions of books about dragons.

What other book themes/trends did you notice appearing again and again?

Chez Maximka

I was having a chat to Sarah (Mum of 3) on Twitter, having seen her stash of books bought in Sainsbury's and told her that I was on a self-imposed ban of buying more books until I clear out at least some of my already bought paperbacks. Lo and behold, my feet took me to The Works, and I couldn't resist getting three paperbacks for a fiver, plus one of the books I ordered online has arrived. So much for the ban. 

Chez Maximka

A very wet and rainy Friday... I grabbed a phone to snap a few webs covered with droplets in the garden. They were sparkling like gems. 

Chez Maximka

One more of my American pictures from 2000: my sister-in-law Masha and me, enjoying a day in NYC. These were the days before we both had children. Next year we moved to Williamstown, MA, and then back to the UK in 2002. I've never been back to the States for over 19 years.

Chez Maximka

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. It's eerie seeing photos of New York now and thinking wow, how things have changed. I remember getting a phone call from Mike too - he was at work, I was on maternity leave and I remember watching the horrific pictures on TV then looking down at Sophie, fast asleep in her Maxi Cosi, thinking how the world would never be the same again. I hope Sasha settles in to his new school. Sophie has just bought The Song of Achilles but it's not one that I'd have picked out ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab photos.
    It must hit hard knowing you were in the states when the twin towers were attacked.
    I hope Sasha is getting on OK at college.
    I really need to find some of those Ritter Sport bars.
    Ahh! It is so hard to resist buying stuff in The Works. Everything is a bargain. I always go in just for a look and come out with a bag full. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is incredible how much 9/11 changed the world. I remember watching the situation unfold on TV and being horrified by what was happening.

    It's a shame Sasha is not happy with the new school, but hopefully he will start enjoying it a bit more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the old photos. I was in NYC a couple of years after 9/11, when Ground Zero was just a building site.
    Hope Sasha gets used to the new school soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photo of you and your SIL. We were supposed to be attending my cousins wedding on 8th September 2001 in NYC and would be flying home on the 12th, we cancelled due to a custody hearing for eldest boy. Apart from flying through NYC a few years later, I've never visited. I've got a pile of books from Mary that I really must get around to reading soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of your brother and his wife at the World Trade Center is very sobering. Being in the States at the time, 9/11 must have hit harder. I remember being at work and someone turned on the news and we spent the rest of that afternoon just watching it in shock. Hope Sasha is settling in well at college. It’s hard to resist buying new books especially when they’re such good value for money! Love seeing spider webs covered in dew drops. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can still remember exactly where I was when we first heard the news. The fact you were in the US at the time must make it even more poignant for you. I have the same obsession with travel books. I really need to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe 9/11 was 20 years ago, half my lifetime ago and the world seemed like such a scary place (not sure it is much better now!) I hope the boys have settled into their school/college routine now, we're all exhausted! #project365

    ReplyDelete