Sunday 31 January 2021

Photo diary: week 4, project 365

 It seems only yesterday we were saying Good bye to 2020 and greeting a new year with a little glimpse of hope, and now we are parting ways with January. Since most days are very same-sih, I lost count of them. 

Last weekend was a bit different though, as we had the first proper snow of the season. Nothing like where my family lives, of course, they have had snow for months, deep-deep snow, with snow drifts higher than an average child, and temperatures plunging below 30C. My younger son dreams of going to Russia in winter, but I'm not so sure. I'd love to see the snowy streets of my hometown, and the beautiful vast whiteness of the nature, but I lived more than half of my life over here, and I think I would find the weather rather challenging. 

What did we do last week? Not much apart from homeschooling and the usual chores. We also finished watching the Agents of shield season 7 on Disney+, and the last episode was a bit of a let-down. Eddie and I have enjoyed the series. Overall, it was pretty good, some seasons are better than others, and the last one wasn't the best. Still I'm sad, there won't be new adventures of Coulson, Daisy and the gang anymore. 

The Dig has started on Netflix, and I want to watch this, but need to find out if it's suitable as a family film.

We built our snowman, yay! Not a big one, but still a snowman, with a carrot for his nose.

Chez Maximka, English winter

One more photo from that day - Eddie enjoying throwing snowballs at his father.

Chez Maximka, winter in Oxfordshire


Since most of the remote learning is online, I make sure we have a break during the day to go out. We cannot have a walk later in the day, as my older son comes back home from school, and I have to divide my time and attention accordingly.

We saw these huge dirty snowballs in the Church Green on our walk. The snow didn't last long, and was already melting. The streets were all slushy. 

Chez Maximka

There were remnants of the snow on the roofs, and we saw this gathering of white doves. They looked as if they had an imprtant issue to discuss.

Chez Maximka

Project Graveyard still continues, we keep re-visiting the Holy Trinity and checking out the gravestones. We have identified one more Harris gravestone, and potentially two more, but they only have initials rather than full names. I have ordered a book called Edwardian Witney, and hope there might be some information we are after. Also a couple of friends offered to look for info on Ancestry for us. I will definitely take them on their offer, once I know a bit more of who is who.

There is a little playground next to the church. It seems empty every time we visit. Admittedly, we go out even in the drizzle, when we take a break between online learning. 

Chez Maximka

On Friday we decided to change our route and walk towards Cogges manor house. It is closed to visitors, of course, but we liked the nature around, and this old vicarage house. If only walls could talk, how many stories it could tell.

The fields nearby are under water. All the snow and torrential rain have raised the levels of water. The street not far from us is flooded, which is worrying. We had serious floods in Witney and around just before Christmas.
And the irresponsible local authorities have given permission to the avaricious builders to build more in the flood-prone area. Money rules. The locals sign one petition after another. A few years ago the local authorities refused to grant permission, then the big guys in London have over-ruled. Do they give a damn? It's not like they are going to ever live here.

Our town population is about 34,000. They plan to build over 3,500 houses more. Some of them will be dangerously close to the gas storage facility. Many of them will be in the Windrush Valley, which will endanger even more homes in town with the flooding.

Chez Maximka

Rather than showing the photos of the Windrush levels, here is a photo of my brother's cat. A fair warning ahead: there will be more pics of the cat in the future. He is a real beauty.

How was your week? Did you have snow and heavy rain where you live? 

Chez Maximka



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

19 comments:

  1. Aww, the cat, more pictures with the cat please! He is a cutie.

    I saw today that they are building a few more houses close to us too, which it means the traffic will be even more unpleasant. But, at the same time, there aren't enough houses, so it makes sense. Building where flooding can happen seems crazy though, especially with the increased possibility due to climate change.

    Lovely to see Eddie enjoying the outdoors. You've had a lot of snow, comparing to Liverpool, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca! I know there is not enough housing, but building in the flood fields is not a solution, it's irresponsible. Flooding is already a big problem in town, and if the valley built over, the water will only go deeper into town.
      I have seen some truly snowy pictures on Insta, in comparison ours was not that deep.

      Delete
    2. I replied to your suggestion of joying in the 365 project, but I'm not sure if you check the replies, so I'm going to ask you here, do you think my posts are suitable considering that they are monthly and not weekly? I would like to join the linky. :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Anca! I'm not sure about once a month post, shall I ask in the group? Maybe it would help to have a look at some other posters to get an idea? For example, Bubbablue posts one picture each week. Some posters get more than 7 pics, etc, so the format is slightly different.

      Delete
    4. Please ask in the group. I don't have time to make weekly posts, but I would be happy to link the monthly one, if that is possible.

      Delete
  2. We have the same issue with our town. Finally after about 15 years in the offing, they're building on the floodplain. The new Lidl is being built on the flood plain where they removed the leisure centre from, but the car park will be the flooded part. As part of the development they haven't thought to move the poor Arts Centre which always gets flooded as it's not far from the canal level as it is. 10k more houses to the north, but they're not improving the roads or providing enough school places, and basically closed most things down in the hospital, so people have to either go to the JR or Warwick. But Banbury covers south Warks and south northants, as well as people down to Bicester. So it's ridiculous. We did get a decent amount of snow - N enjoyed sledging. That's an impressing snowball size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma, it looks like the situation with construction is pretty abysmal everywhere in this country.

      Delete
  3. It looks like you had a fab time in the snow! That snowman is so cute.
    The gravestone investigations sound so interesting.
    That cat is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable cat! and we love your son's snowman and the joy on his face when he was throwing snowballs. Good luck with the research, I'd find that fascinating. I gave my Ancestry up as it's so expensive these days sadly #365

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to have some snow and the snowman looks good. I can’t quite imagine that kind of cold and huge snowdrifts – it sounds beautiful though and I can understand why Eddie wants to go to Russia in the winter. That’s a beautiful photo of Eddie in the playground. I hope you don’t get any more flooding. That is crazy to keep wanting to build on areas that get flooded. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. No snow here. Looks like Eddie really enjoyed himself though and I do like your snowman probably the prettiest I have seen. I would love to visit Russia full stop although I am not sure about the -30c so would probably opt for Spring. Your brothers cat is very beautiful. What type of breed is she?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your brother's cat is gorgeous. Our local council refused permission for something that nobody local wanted. The government overruled them and the council had to pay the developers' legal costs. It's put them off turning things like that down. It's so wrong. Your Harris investigations in the churchyard sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cat really is a beauty. No snow here, I was sad for the kids. We might get some tonight but then they have said that every weekend. I have been told to watch Agents of shield on Disney+. We just wanted the witch thing on sky so we might try that now #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely snow pics, it was so magical and such a respite from the monotony of lockdown. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  10. The snow in Russia sounds romantic and fascinating to experience, however the harsh reality of a winter that cold isn't pleasant. We experienced -26c in Berlin in 2006 and that was only for a week. It's the same when people say they;'d love to visit Dubai when its 45c+ in the summer. An experience? Yes. day to day life? No. I love the walk to Cogges and around the surrounding area, it's a very pretty place to live, I hope the new houses don't spoil it all

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cat looks like he rules the house haha. Looks like Eddie enjoyed a lot on snow day! The old house looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the cat is beautiful!

    I have been debating whether to watch The Dig. Might watch it while the kids are watching their stuff.

    Your snowman is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cat is beautiful.
    They are planning on building lots of houses by us too and on the flood plain which worries me. We have quite a few brown field sites that I think should be used first.
    We had snow a few miles inland, but none on the coast for me. I grew up with snow too, so really want to see some

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your perfect snowman! I am enjoying seeing all the snowmen pictures in this weekly update. Sadly we haven't been able to join in but everyone's pictures have been a joy! Your brothers cat is so precious! Awwww. Glad you are managing to get out and break up the day. I like to do the same.

    ReplyDelete