Saturday 16 January 2021

Photo diary: week 2, 2021: project 365

 As I'm reading Grace Dent's wise piece of writing in today's Guardian, I nod my head in agreement. With all the current restrictions and higher levels of intolerance around, you almost feel that you have to walk purposefully and not stop and admire a rushing river, or a red kite soaring in the skies, as if it is against the rules. She asks, "How long outdoors is acceptable until your need for fresh air is deemed wanton?" 

Many people are carrying their anger. Today Eddie and I were walking home, and stopped in the street to catch a Pokemon or two outside one of the Pokestops. We checked that we didn't block the way, in fact, it was absolutely empty, and no-one around, we are very careful with social distancing. Then a car pulled by next to us, the guy has angrily pointed a finger at us. I thought, he might have a delivery for the house we were standing next to, so moved us further along the street. But no, he then just drove on without getting out. What the heck was all that about? 

The levels of river Windrush are quite high this week, though the muddy path through the flood fields is passable.


My brother sent me the picture of their new cat. A couple of years ago they lost their elderly cat, who was 16 or 17 years old, and who was a dear member of the family. 
He is a beauty, isn't he?!

Chez Maximka

Homeschooling is better structured this time. Children have two Zoom sessions per day, and can discuss any issues with the teachers. They are also happy to see their mates and wave to them.

It's nice that they are also encouraged to have exercise and a walk every day, when possible. Eddie and I have a brisk walk around the block, getting some fresh air for half an hour around lunchtime.

Chez Maximka
This week I published two book reviews, including for Children's Fate by Carolyn Hughes. I have been playing with photo props. This is historical novel set during the times of the Black Death. It's a fasciating story, but has potential triggers (death during the pandemic). You can also win a £15 amazon voucher to spend on any book you want (or chocolate).

Chez Maximka

Homeschooling is not fun, so I'm finding my "entertainment" ad hoc. When Eddie is using the laptop, I might open the Pokemon app on the iphone.

The other day, when they had a Zoom session, one of the class mates kept saying she had a question. When the teacher let her talk, she said her dog wanted to say Hi to the class. Of course, it did.
After that, Eddie and I kept saying things to each other like, My Pokemon wants to say Hi to the class.

Chez Maximka

We haven't had any bread left, and I didn't fancy going out shopping, so decided to try a new bread recipe from Nigella - for an old-fashioned sandwich loaf, made with soured milk. Apparently, Nigella's recipe is a twist on Dan Lepard's bread made with buttermilk.
I'm not a confident bread-baker. I could never pass the test for bread-making on GBBO. This recipe is pretty easy to follow, doesn't require much kneading, and the result is very tasty. I'm going to bake it again.

What else is "newsworthy"? Eddie and I watched the first two episodes of WandaVision on Disney+. From what I've seen on Twitter, most people are raving about it. I found it rather bizarre - cringe at times. But I will watch the next episode on Friday. If you enjoy series like Bewitched, then it might appeal to you.

Chez Maximka

Today's bit of excitement was going to Sainsbury's and buying new slippers for Eddie with my groceries. It might be considered a non-essential indulgence, but the slippers he's been wearing, look utterly shredded on the soles, and were destined for the bin. 

I also bought a couple of books - CatKid Comic Club and Dear Child by Romy Hausmann. The reviews of this thriller are very encourgaing, if you want to know more, read the review of Dear Child on Coffee and Books blog.
Sadly, it will have to wait until I have a chance to read it, as I have a huge stash of books for reviewing, looking at me solemnly and tutting at me for buying more books.

The article which I enjoyed today is Grace Dent's "Sweet treats..." in Feast (The Guardian). It so resonated with me. It's a poignant piece, which shows we're all hanging there, and little treats save the day. And we should never underestimate little escapes, even if it means lingering by the chocolate aisle or looking at the books at Sainsbury's.

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

  1. Love to see Eddie's smiling face and to hear that school at home is going well for him. #365

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really strange with the man pulling up and pointing at you. Eesh!
    What a beautiful cat.
    It sounds like the home learning is going well and you've been having fun with the pokemon.
    I tried an episode of WandaVision and I just can't get into it. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cat is so pretty. That's good Eddie's school are giving them outdoors time. Ours are encouraging similar with PE at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guy pointing at you is just weird. That's a cute cat. <3 It's good that the schools are encouraging children to go outdoors.
    Your bread has risen nicely, well done! These days I'm baking bread more than buying it, as I want to avoid going to the shops. I always use the standard recipe, with flour, yeast, sugar (1 spoon, to feed the yeast), and water. Kneaded for 7 minutes in the stand mixer and that's it.

    I hope that you'll enjoy Dear Child. Thank you very much for linking to my review. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are so strange! Some seem to walk in the middle of the road to avoid others but others don't seem to think anything has changed! I like the increased structure of the home learning but me and the kids now feel more pressure. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a miserable person in the car ! I must admit, I do give filthy looks to the people on the bus without a mask (it's an official requirement and there are signs everywhere saying you have to wear one) but not in the street ! Your bread looks fab - well done ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a lot of angry people around at the moment. I can’t see the harm of getting out and doing Pokemon Go – it’s still getting fresh air and exercise after all. Your brother’s new cat is beautiful. That loaf of bread looks yummy – always good when it is easy to make too! Little treats are very important right now – we’re all just doing our best to get through and things like that make it a little more bearable. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  8. What was that man doing! How strange. That can't is beautiful. We are trying to watch WandaVision. The trailers look like it is going to get interesting but it feels very strange at the moment. My OH wants to give up on it. I hope it gets better #365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Pokemon Go, I think people seem to have an issue regardless of what you do. I hope it doesn't stop you in the future. I am with you on finding the little things and treats are more important than ever. I will have to look for that article x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cat has the most beautiful features. I need to share Sebby's pokemon go code with you too as he has an account now too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pokemon go sounds a fab activity for you both to be involved in either together or on your own, guess it's an extra incentive to get out the house. Good school are encouraging outdoor time. Enjoy the reading, I just can't seem to get going with reading at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww the new cat is gorgeous, what beautiful markings. The sandwich loaf looks tasty! Fresh bread is so much nicer. It's good you can have a bit of a giggle with homeschooling! I am finding it all a bit of a chore. I want to get the boys out for more fresh air but they are very reluctant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The man in the car sounds strange. Just ignore people like that!

    Oh the cat is stunning...just beautiful!

    I sometimes overhear Bee when she is having her classes...the teacher now lets them have 5 mins at the end of the class to talk about whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete