Saturday 9 January 2021

Photo diary: mid-December to January 2021, project 365

 It's been almost a month since my last blog post was published. You might have been too busy to notice, or maybe you did wonder what's happened. The second half of December passed in a blur. My older boy tested positive on the last day of school. It looked like he had a cold, with a mild cough and temperature, and the school has provided us with a free test. A few days later, to our shock, the notifications started pinging on my phone that he has tested positive, and we all need to go into self-isolation.

At that point, I was going into a panic mode, anxious about my son, that he might need to go to the hospital, which due to the nature of his disability, he would never understand. I couldn't sleep with worry. Thankfully, he had it in a mild form. Then I caught some sort of lurgy, I haven't done the test, so nothing's been confirmed either way. I spent the next couple of weeks mostly in bed, feeling totally flattened. 

I was also very worried about how we're going to manage with the food shopping. We obviously couldn't go out, and getting a delivery slot nowadays is like winning a lottery, especially around Christmas time.

The NHS people kept calling, just to check if we stayed at home. We did. There was no help offered whatsoever, basically you're left to cope on your own. Criticise Russia what you like, but if you are sick, you get a home visit from the GP, and if you test positive, you get free medication.

Our friends rallied around us, doing shopping for us and leaving bags outside. We had Christmas gifts dropped off by the door as well. I am most grateful for their help and kindess at that difficult time.

And before all the virus drama, I was scrolling through Twitter at bedtime, when I spotted an announcement from The Guardian that John Le CarrĂ© died. We were very saddened by the news. My husband and I have been big fans for many years, and have known him personally. My husband was a young academic, when he met David for the first time in the 1990s. 

I remember our stay at David and Jane's guest cottage in Cornwall many years ago, when we were newly married. We had the cottage all to ourselves, with the kitchen and wine rack to our full disposal. Late one evening, there was a knock on the door, and David comes in, bringing more wine, just in case we've run out of it. It makes me smile thinking of that. 

David had this amazing talent of being a great listener, he would ask you questions and listen to what you had to say, as if you were the most important person in the world. And he was a wonderful storyteller as well, and a good actor. 

We visited them many times, first with little Sasha, later with Eddie as well, when we stayed in Cornwall. They were incredibly kind and attentive to Sasha. When a world-famous writer cares about your child with a disability, you never forget this kindness.

I was looking through the old photos of our trips to Cornwall, when I came across this snap, taken on our visit to Le Carré's house with my in-laws. This was in 2009. Sasha loved their extensive gardens and roamed free there. Cherished memories.

If you have access to TLS, you might want to read my husband's article Beyond the Cold War.

Chez Maximka

It's hard to imagine we will never hear David's beautiful voice again.


The last week of school was still full of hope that we might spend Christmas with our bubble. I bought food to please both vegetarians and meat eaters. Little did I know that by the end of the week, all our plans would be cancelled. 
Eddie had a Christmas jumper day at school and wore his festive stormtropper jumper.

Chez Maximka

A frosty morning in the flood fields...

Chez Maximka

The teddy bears of Witney had a Christmas-themed window display, but the teddies looked sad, perhaps they were also thinking of better days.

Chez Maximka, Christmas window displays

I don't buy chestnuts throughout the year, but at Christmas time do fancy some roast chestnuts. Though the home ones never taste the same as those roasted on big metal trays outdoors, like you see in the streets of Italian towns.

Chez Maximka

On Christmas day I made an effort of getting out of bed to cook a simple lunch. We had a small ham in marmalade glaze for the boys, and a nut roast for vegetarians, plus plenty of veggies. It was a bit sad, but at least we were together, and slowly gaining strength.
We watched the Queen's speech, and I thought she also looked sad. My brother who watched her speech on Youtube, said she appeared wise and dignified.

Chez Maximka

I insisted that Eddie should eat at least one sprout. He hates sprouts. I love them, and would happily eat the lot. I always liked them, even as a child. At that time we could only buy them in packs of mixed frozen vegetables from Poland. And I would sneakily take them out of the freezer and eat icy cold. OK, I might have been a weird child.

Chez Maximka

On Boxing day I cooked a risotto, with a splash of champagne. We opened the bottle the day before, but we really don't drink much. I think we still have half a bottle in the fridge, I bet it's all gone flat now.

Chez Maximka, risotto with champagne

Every Christmas I buy a box of Fazer Finlandia jelly fruits from Lakeland. For some stupid reason they're only available at Christmas. They are soooo good, truly the best jelly fruits ever.
You can get them on amazon, but they cost an arm and a leg there.

Chez Maximka


A few days before new year's eve our town was on the flood alert. The flood fields and the streets nearby were actually flooded, and you could see the sandbags outside the doors in the town centre, nearby the bridge over the Windrush. 
That's the picture my husband has taken for me. I bet the people who live in that house by the river were very worried. 

Chez Maximka


It has become a tradition for me that I call my brother on new year's eve, when the clock strikes midnight their time. He turns the camera towards the TV, when the Kremlin chimes go Boom! We hold the champagne flutes up and wish each other a happy new year! This is a screenshot from our conversation.
Typically my Mum would be spending the evening/night with my brother and his family, but this year my Mum was on her own. I called her, of course, but she's a Luddite, when it comes to technology, so we cannot see each other.

Chez Maximka

For four days ClassicFM were running their Ultimate Hall of Fame to mark the 25th chart countdown. I listened to it, on and off, with great pleasure, and was delighted that Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2 won the 1st place. I tweeted to them, and they RTed my tweet. That made my day.


I was still feeling too weak to venture outside, but my husband did take our boys for a walk, and took a photo of the manger outside St Mary's Church.

Witney, Chez Maximka

I might have not been blogging but I have read several books for the forthcoming book blogs and reviews. The Mystery of Montague House by Emma Davies is a cosy mystery, with a supernatural twist (check out my review on the 14th of January, the day of the publication of the book).

Chez Maximka

The other day when Eddie and I looked in the garden from the bedroom window, we spotted this tree surgeon, balancing precariously among the branches. It makes me sad to see big trees cut down.

Chez Maximka

Our snowy morning was a bit of a disappointment. There was not even snow enough to build a snowman. By afternoon it has all melted.

Chez Maximka

Homeschooling is not much fun, though it's better organised this lockdown in comparison to the first one. Kids have a Zoom meeting with their teacher at 9.20am and 2.30pm, when they can discuss any issues and report on the work done.

During the holidays, as we were stuck at home, Eddie has been reading a lot, and also doing some art projects. This is a competition entry for Pokemon magazine.

If you've managed to read until the very end of this long post, I give you a big virtual hug. Hope I won't disappear for another month.



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

24 comments:

  1. I did notice I haven't seen much from you and your blog. What a worry about your eldest testing positive for Covid. I am glad he was OK. So sorry you were unwell. That is rubbish that you were offered no help. When my dad had Covid and they kept ringing to check on him they were offering him all sorts of help. It could be that he is over 70 but it isn't fair they don't do it for everyone. I am so glad your friends helped you out.
    What wonderful memories you have of your friend.
    Lovley photos. I made my girls eat just one sprout each on Christmas day and they were such drama queens about it. They're not fans. I love them but only have them at Christmas.
    The flood looks really scary. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, glad to hear that your Dad was offered help, but as you say, it's probably because he's over 70. The flood has subsided for now, but of course, it might still come back.

      Delete
  2. Yes I had noticed your absence but knew Sasha and possibly you had covid, glad you were able to cope with it so well. I'm afraid in most of the world it's get on with it yourself unless you are fortunate to have family and friends near by to help out. So sorry to hear about your friend David, I hadn't heard he had died, but I have enjoyed reading some of his books. What lovely memories you both have of him and his wife.
    The flood looks quite scarey for the homeowners, hope the water didn't break through. Sprouts are just vile, I've never bought one in my life and always refused to eat them if put on my plate, you were a weird child indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, it was more of a question to my readers beyond the 365 group, which is the only place where I told what was going on in December. David's death was sudden, such a shock, and my DH had an email from him only recently, he sounded quite upbeat and very witty, as usual.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year!!

    Of course I noticed that you did not blog, I checked a few times assuming that bloglovin is acting out and I can't see your new posts.
    It must have been so hard to deal with everything while Sasha had covid. I know that you might not need it right now, but there is a vegan supermarket where, if you buy by 2pm, you get next day delivery - www.thevegankindsupermarket.com. I buy from them often and it might be helpful if you need to isolate again or you can't find supermarket delivery slots. They, obviously, don't stock meat or dairy, but you can try some alternatives if you ran out of supplies and friends can't help.

    I don't have access to TLS, so I did why I do and dropped his name into SOLO to see if I can see the article like that. I found a book by him which sounds interesting and it's available online, so I pinned it for later. :)

    I watched the turning of the year on RT, mainly because on the other channels the shows were not great. I even listened to Putin's message, which was, surprisingly, uplifting.

    I like Brussels sprouts too. Also, that flood looks scary, poor homeowners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, I didn't know about that supermarket, I was checking all the usual ones which deliver locally. That's useful to know about the vegan supermarket. My husband wrote three books, which one is available online? The first book is pretty academic as it was his DPhil, but there are some rare materials which we found in Moscow GARF and Memorial archives. Those were the days. Hardly any access to photocopying, no gadgets to take photos, a lot had to be transcribed by hand.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the usual ones were very busy in our area too, so I started ordering from this one and I'm very happy with it.

      I found Mafias on the move. I finished watching Narcos and, after a quick break, I will watch Narcos: Mexico. It would be a shame not to read a book on European mafias too. :)

      Delete
    3. I haven't watched Narcos, but I'm sure my DH did. I think I have had enough of mafias as a topic, as I read all his books, helped with research, translating materials etc etc.

      Delete
  4. Such a worrying time, but glad to hear that everyone is feeling better now. We did miss your updates and am glad you're back. How nice of people to rally round and do your shopping / drop off presents, that is my worry if we have to isolate too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kara, I was most touched by our friends' offers of help.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you have survived the self isolation, I've been off social media a lot in these recent months. Good to have friends who were able to help you when you needed it most. Lovely that you could celebrate the new year chimes with your brother. My parents are the same, I couldn't risk them with a smart phone - it would be carnage! Best wishes to you all x #365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, carnage is the right word, lol. Babies nowadays can do gadgets, but some people of certain age refuse to use technology.

      Delete
  6. Ahhh glad to see you're back and that you're on the mend. That's bad that they didn't offer help - what a nightmare ! I did see that John Le Carré had died - you totally confused me by talking about David. I didn't realise John wasn't his real name (thought I did suspect Le Carré wasn't) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! I think those phone calls to check on us mostly annoyed me, especially that they called quite early in the morning, and if I ignored them, they just kept ringing.

      Delete
  7. Oh, not a good time of it. Hope you're feeling stronger and more back to normal now. Sad that your family lost a dear friend in John le Carre. In our house, N loves sprouts. It's just the OH who hates them. He won't even put one on his plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma, I'm feeling much better overall, though still have occasional dizzy spells, but that might take some time to go away.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear that Sasha had Covid and you’ve been unwell too - glad that Sasha had a mild case though and hope that you are now feeling much better too. Having to stay home is really hard if you can’t get shopping and don’t have external support. Russia sounds like they’ve got a better system there. I’m glad you had good support from your friends to help you through and it sounds like you had a nice Christmas in spite of it all. I love sprouts too but I’m not sure I’d eat them frozen! I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no so sorry your son caught it but glad he only got a mild form. It is shocking that no help was offered but glad you had friends who helped out.

    So sorry to hear about your loss

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that Sasha only had the mild version, sorry to hear you have been so poorly. It sounds as though you had a lovely Christmas and it is nice that you managed to speak to your brother on New Years Eve. I am sorry about the loss of your friend. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! So sorry to read that you have been ill. I'm so glad your friends were able to help you with food shopping. Getting deliveries are a real nightmare. Love the festive Star Wars jumper. We live near a river I always worry when my phone pings with a flood alert warning #365

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that book collection. Looking forward to reading that review. Even that tiny bit of snow looks fun - we live in the desert and I would like to experience snow some day 1

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an end of 2020 and beginning of 2021 you've had! I can't believe that the NHS couldn't forward details of local community based support for deliveries etc during self isolation. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad your son only had a mild form, it must have been such a worry wondering how it would play out though. I love the festive stormtropper jumper. Next year I need to look out for those jelly fruits, they look amazing! You can see the quality in your picture, I am tempted to reach in and grab one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you are all feeling much better now, what a time to have to self isolate! So glad to hear that people rallied around you. Admittedly that is my biggest fear, not so much being ill, but what do I do to sort food etc.
    Such sad news of your friend but I loved reading about your memories. Those are the moment precious things and it sounds like you have lots of wonderful memories to cherish x
    I am still chuckling at you eating frozen sprouts! I have always liked them too, I don't know why they get such a bad rap! Hope you are all feeling much better now and glad to have you back! Sim x

    ReplyDelete