Monday 12 October 2020

Photo diary: week 41, project 366

I'm feeling deflated, like an old balloon, which is still holding its shape but is not exactly flying enthusiastically. There are no particular triggers, just the uncertainty of it all.
Sasha's annual review is looming by the end of this month, and we haven't had much of a progress since the last meeting. We don't have a respite sorted out for him, as none of the places we inquired into operate at the moment, so we can't even go and visit them. We visited a couple of places back in January, but then everything has stopped working. We need to find a place for him to attend next year, as it's the last year at the current school.

And we urgently need to apply for the secondary school's place for Eddie, and of course, with only the virtual tours available it's not easy to decide which school would be best for our son. 
One school has a good academic rating, but on the parents' grapevine it is known as having had big issues with bullying in the past years. The other school (my preference) is less academic. Both are about the same distance from our house.
All these decisions which will affect my boys' future really unsettle me.

My photos from the last week are rather lacklustre, I was snapping without any zeal.

Last Sunday Eddie has spotted the big poster for Star Wars Pandora across the street. I don't have a Pandora bracelet, but we still went to look at the latest beads closer. 

Star Wars gifts, Chez Maximka

My Monday treat, a cup of latte in the morning after I accompanied Eddie to school.

Chez Maximka, Witney cafes

We had rain on and off most days in the last week. It was sunny and raining at the same time, when we walked home from school on Tuesday. 
We watched the GBBO in the evening, and that was all the excitement for the day. The right person was voted off, even if he was amusing. I don't know if we keep watching until the end, I don't find this year's crew particularly inspiring. I suppose, once you watched one season, it's pretty much the same, with the same stale jokes and innuendoes.

Chez Maximka

The mornings are getting chillier and chillier, and the bright berries of holly make you think of Christmas ahead. 

Chez Maximka

I met up with my friend for a good old chinwag at Costa, and I had my first gingerbread latte of the season. I did ask for half of the amount of syrup, as it's often way too sweet.

Chez Maximka

Red and blue are an inspiring combination of colours. The leaves are carpeting the lawns and roads.
Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the autumn tree... (Emily Brontë)

Chez Maximka

It was the 50th anniversary of Jean Giono's death on the 9th of October, and my husband suggested that we should watch The Horseman on the Roof. I watched this film when it was first out in 1995, and loved it then. It's set in the times of the cholera epidemic of 1832. Juliette Binoche is simply stunning in this film, and Olivier Martinez is an eye candy. You can find the whole film on YouTube.

I've read the book many years ago, and watching the film made me want to re-read it. It also made me think just how beautiful the French language is, and what a shame I don't read or speak it any longer. I studied French at the University, and was able to read quite fluently, albeit abridged books, but now, I am like Mr Bean, only capable of saying Oui.

Chez Maximka



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

23 comments:

  1. I hope everything goes OK with Sasha's review and finding a good school for Eddie. It all sounds like such a worry.
    Those Pandora charms look fab.
    The holly on the bushes makes me think of Christmas too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, the review will be next week, and I hope we'll be able to get some help with the respite.

      Delete
  2. I imagine it is quite hard with Sasha and not being able to visit the respites.

    Did you chat with Eddie about these two options? It's always tricky with a new school, as going to the academic one doesn't necessarily mean that he will be bullied, any more than going to the other one ensures he will not be bullied there. There are risks, but I think he is old enough to be able to tell you what he wants.
    For me it was high-school. I had to chose between the best one in the city, but a place where I thought that I could be bullied because I didn't have an wealthy family like many of the others children had. The alternative was, well, any other high-school. I went to the best one and it was a great decision, as we did not have any bulling, just a bit of stupid jokes. But the work ethic and the constant pressure helped me a lot at university and beyond, in the workplace.

    GBBO is not great, isn't it? I asked myself why they feel the need to show Paul eating a bit of bread, each time he has to try it. It's obvious he has a nibble when judging, so I would prefer learning something about baking or similar. I'm still baking along... but don't ask me why because I have no clue. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, looks like Eddie has made his choice for a more academic school after we were able to visit it and have a tour of the grounds and talk to one of the teachers. It really helped. We need to apply now, and cross fingers.
      GBBO is not the best season, I'm rapidly losing interest.

      Delete
    2. That's great! I hope he gets in. Hugs xx

      Delete
  3. It must be hard to be picking out schools without being able to visit.I would find that difficult. Hope you find a place for Sasha soonn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica, since I've written the post, we were able to visit one of the schools (the campus rather than indoors) and talk to a member of the staff, which helped.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with finding the right school. I think it's one of those things that you'll be majorly worried about but he'll be fine wherever he ends up :) Love the red autumn leaves - I haven't seen any pretty colours here, just lots of soggy brown leaves ! You know, if you want to, you can chat to me in French - I promise I won't laugh at your mistakes ! lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely idea, Cheryl, maybe one day I will ask for your help with French. I think I should get myself a Duolingo app, and do short lessons.
      I remember when I visited France for the first time, I was able to have a basic conversation, and someone told me I spoke with a Spanish accent. Secretly, I was proud of myself. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm amazed that you've lost your ability to read and speak French, I wouldn't have thought it was possible. Sorry to hear you're feeling deflated, but not surprising when you have such big decisions ahead to make for your sons. I can't drink flavoured lattes, they jsut don't tase right to me. I don't watch GBBO, but can image it;'s lie every other show that just runs on and on, the format doesn't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, with the languages you need practice or lose your skills, I find. I probably can read recipe books in French, but won't be able to hold a conversation. The GBBO is not very good this year.

      Delete
  6. I hope everything goes ok with Sasha's review and in finding a school for Eddie. The Pandora charms look fab x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, Star Wars Pandora charms are brilliant.

      Delete
  7. GBBO is ruined by the adverts in my opinion and I miss Mel and Sue! I only put our catchment school down for my eldest so fingers crossed #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Laura, too many ads, they take so much time, it feels there's less action than the ads. Good luck with the school!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear you’re feeling deflated at the moment. It is hard with all the uncertainty anyway and especially with the uncertainty for your boys too right now. I hope you can find a place for Sasha and the right school for Eddie. Lovely photo of the red leaves against the blue sky. I find gingerbread lattes too sweet too – I never think to ask them to reduce the syrup though. Will have to try that next time. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Star Wars lover by default (my husband has brainwashed the kids into loving it) and love the new range from pandora. I secretly love Baby Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hppe you get somewhere with Sasha's review, I am looking around a new school here this week but how you can decide on a school without your child being there too I don't know. It's so difficult to make the right decision isn't it #366

    ReplyDelete
  11. It can be so hard what school to pick. I remember a lot of parents not rating the school my daughter now goes to. And a lot of comments were coming from parents who's kids didn't even go there. She's thriving there now and I have have no complaints about them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pick the school that will make him happiest, you can always do some work at home to help with the academic side of things. Hope you are feeling better by now. Sorry to hear your having issues sorting respite, COVID seems to have put so many things on the back burner that need to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am feeling the same way about GBBO, especially watching them this week. I hope you find a school for Eddie and that you both like it must be really tough without being able to see them x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally agree Oliver Martinez is total eye candy, can't say I've watched that film so may give it a try!
    I hope the school selection is going well, I've often found that Facebook is the actual best source of reviews when it comes to what actually happens under the school roof. Go with your gut and how you feel about the place!
    Hope you are having a better week, we need to look forward to the future, as distant as it may seem at the moment... but it will come!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no, I hope you feel better asap. Trust your instincts and decide what you think is best for your son, that is enough. OooO cool beads. The latte makes me want to dive into it, the first one and the gingerbread latte. Pretty autumn leaves and lovely poem by Emily Bronte. If that's so then I'm also a Mr. Bean. If you've learnt it before, it shouldn't be too hard to learn it again

    ReplyDelete