Sunday 4 October 2020

Photo diary: weeks 39 & 40, project 366

I tend to write a Photo diary post on a Sunday, but last Sunday I spent in bed, with a fever and a headache. I didn't have a cough, so don't think it was the dreaded virus, but it took me several days to recover properly, hence the mix of photos - some taken by me, old ones and snapped by my family.

These two weeks were not exactly eventful, or memorable. 
We finished reading Wizards of Once Book 4 (I'm still reeling from the revelation of who the narrator is, it so doesn't make sense). 
I began reading The Cuckoo's Calling. I know I'm late to the party, as the book no.5 in the series was just published, but I watched the TV series Strike and decided to read the novels. I don't mind that I know the plot, I'm just enjoying the dynamics of the relationship and intelligent writing.

I often pass by this old stone building next to the bridge, and it always makes me wonder just how damp it must be indoors. Saying that, I'd love to see what it looks like inside. Its roof is also a resting platform for white doves.

Chez Maximka, Witney

A quick cup of coffee in the Blue Boar before errands in town. This simple floral arrangement by the window looked elegant and pretty.

Chez Maximka, floral arrangement with roses

I was running to collect Eddie from school, and have spotted this rather sinister-looking cloud, with the sun in the place of the eye. It made me think of a gigantic Minotaur. 

Chez Maximka, cloud shapes

My friend Jen took me to the Burford garden centre by car. I haven't visited it since early March, and was surprised at the crowds. We could hardly find a place to park, it was packed full indoors. 

I needed some hay for the storage of apples, but couldn't find any. 
In the end I got a bag of tulip bulbs and a couple of flower pots. Seeing the rows of tables with tulip bulbs made me think of my Mum, who loves gardening. She always buys tulips for my garden, and every spring they bloom like greetings from her. This year I'll just have to pretend that we bought the bulbs together.

There was an outdoor sculpture exhibition, and I loved this mermaid. This artwork by Martin Cash is called Just Another Refugee.

Chez Maximka, outdoor sculpture

My brother sent me this snap taken on the walk in the park by WhatsApp. 

Chez Maximka, wild life in Russia

The queues to the supermarkets are almost back to the size of the beginning of the lockdown. And the toilet paper aisle is suspiciously low on choice. It was a miserable wet day, and I think waiting in the cold has contributed to me feeling unwell the next days.

Chez Maximka

I felt utterly rubbish last Sunday, and wasn't in the mood to take any photos. 
My brother has scanned several old photos for me. This black and white photo was taken, when we were visiting my grandparents. They lived in the middle of nowhere, literally, in the last but one house at the end of the village, surrounded by the wild steppes. As my grandfather was a forest ranger, they kept a horse.

That's my Mum holding the reins, my younger brother is sitting right behind me, I'm not looking in the camera, and two others kids are the next door neighbour and the daughter of the man who took the photos. He was working on the film set in the vicinity, and visiting my Grandma to buy fresh milk (she kept cows). 
And just wanted to say, we didn't all ride in such a big company, it was simply a photo shoot. 
My Mum looks so beautiful. I think I must be 13-14 years old in this picture? That makes my Mum about 37-38 years old.

Chez Maximka

I spent Monday in bed as well, weak and running temperature. My husband had to take Eddie to the dentist after school, and then they popped to McDonalds for a takeaway meal, which they happily ate in my husband's office.

Chez Maximka

On Tuesday I accompanied Eddie to school, and did a quick shopping at Waitrose. These eerie mannequin's hands behind the sale sign in the window caught my eye.

Chez Maximka

Another cloud shape, on the way to school, which made me think of dinosaurs or lizards.

Chez Maximka

This photo of yellow gloves was actually taken a year ago, when my Mum was still staying with us and working in the garden (try to stop her!).  She travelled home a couple of days later, and it's a year, since we last saw each other. I really miss her. 
Who knows when we'll be able to hug each other. I do talk to her every day on the phone, but it's not the same, is it?!

Chez Maximka

I'm beginning to look around the shops for Christmas gifts ideas. Eddie's a big fan of Star Wars, and he also has quite a collection of Funko Pop toys. I might get this Luke Skywalker with Yoda for him.

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. It must be hard to be away from your mum for so long. I do love the old picture - it is almost like it's from another time (I think that's the black and white partly). Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica, it does feel like another life for me too. Technically, it was another epoch, everything is like a half-forgotten dream.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are feeling better now.
    That building does look interesting. I would like to see inside too.
    What a fab photo of your family and neighbours. Your mum really is beautiful. I do hope you get to see her soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, I'm all right this week, thanks goodness. There are so many interesting old houses in Witney that I'd love to visit.

      Delete
  3. That old picture is so special, really lovely. I hope you feel better now, have you booked a test or you are sure is not Covid?
    Sending hugs!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that old photo. It's last Sept since I saw my parents and yes I agree with you, it's so hard not knowing when we will be able to see them again. Hope you are feeling much better now. We've still not finished the third book, my son lost interest in it #366

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you were unwell last week, hope you are feeling better now. That first cloud does look like a Minotaur but the second one looks like an elephant to me. Love the photo of the red squirrel and that black and white photo of you with your brother and mum in the cart. What a lovely memory. I can imagine you must miss your mum a lot – it isn’t the same talking each day as being able to actually see each other. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those clouds are sinister. Hopefully your mum will be able to come over in the spring time and see the bulbs flowering that you've planted. I love looking at old photos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well.

    Lovely old family photo. Must be so difficult not knowing when you can meet up with your mum again.

    That building does look as though it will be full of damp

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen any queues at our supermarkets yet but we are getting the traffic light system installed this month.We love Funko pop toys

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear you have been quite poorly. Love the single rose photo, such a fab capture. How lucky your brother got so close to a red squirrel! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you were feeling unwell - glad you're over the worst of it now. I know what you mean about missing family. Our half term starts next week and usually we'd be coming over to spend a week with my mum & dad but that won't be happening again. The last time I saw them was back in February. I wonder what will happen at Christmas :-/ I bet Eddie loved having McDonald's at his dad's office ! Love the old photo !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are feeling better. That building does look interesting. What a fab photo of your family and neighbours xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like looing at clouds but rarely see a recognisable object: see your monster though! Hope you are all recovered now and love the old pic with your mum #project366

    ReplyDelete
  13. Check out how brave that squirrel was! Never had one get that close to me! Sorry to hear you were quite unwell and it wiped you out. Hope you are feeling much better! That old stone building is seriously interesting... is it used? A Maccy's is a fabulous treat, you've given me ideas for dinner! :) Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear you have been unwell, hope you are feeling better now? There is so much going round with the kids back to school. Your mum looks stunning in that photo sorry its been so long since you have seen her. Keeping everything crossed we can get back to usual soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww I hope you got better. I've yet to read The Cuckoo's Calling. Nice floral arrangement. Hi, Minotaur! Sweet memories of your mother. Lovely sculpture. SQUIRREL!! Lovely photograph of all you. You look a lot like your mother and you look lovely. The position of the mannequin hands looks strange. I hope you get to visit your mom soon.

    ReplyDelete