Saturday 22 August 2020

Photo diary: week 34, project 366

When I think that it was only last week we were walking barefoot on the Cornish beach, listening to the waves and breathing the salty air, I feel nostalgic. I didn't make my weekly photo post last weekend, as my laptop didn't work. Thankfully, it turned out that it was the adaptor, not the laptop itself. Big relief, but it meant I missed my chance to join in the Project 366 linky.
I did write about our Cornish memories if you fancy seeing what we were up to, while staying in Perranuthnoe.

On Sunday I braved visiting Costa for the first time since the lockdown. Oh boy, I missed their latte. It was lovely with a hot buttered teacake.

Chez Maximka

My younger niece Sonia asked her followers on Insta, what she should draw next. Eddie wondered if she could draw Baby Yoda, and Sonia has kindly obliged him. We were both impressed. She is a talented girl. It was Sonia who has inspired Eddie to start using art markers.

Chez Maximka, Mandalorian art

Eddie and I are big fans of Robin Stevens' Murder Most Unladylike series. The latest, and final, book in the series was published earlier this month, and of course, we had to buy it. Now our MMU collection is complete.
We are still reading book no.5 - Murder and Mistletoe. We'll finish it in a couple of days, and then might have a mini-break from the series and read another author.
We loved the MMU bunting in the local Waterstones.

Chez Maximka

We escaped the heat wave and the thunderstorms, while staying in Cornwall. I asked a couple of friends to look after my tomatoes, knowing that it would be very hot, while we were away. I was also hoping to return to plenty of ripe fruit, but most of the tomatoes are still pretty much green, especially the bigger variety, Ailsa Craig.
Cherry tomatoes are just beginning to get colour. And they are very sweet.

Chez Maximka

On the way shopping, Eddie and I popped into one of the charity shops, where we have spotted several figurines of Napoleonic times' characters. I actually did buy a figure of Boney, as my father-in-law collects souvenirs of Napoleon. I also snapped a picture of the remaining figures to ask if he fancied any of them.

Chez Maximka


I like to use "staged" photos for my book reviews, that is, if I have an actual paperback rather than a Mobi. I wrote my book review for Who Killed Patrick? by Syl Waters for today, which is a cozy crime set in Fuerteventura. Crema Catalana features prominently in the mystery. Alas, I couldn't find any crema for the photo shoot, and placed Pastel de Nata around the book.
Does anyone have a full proof recipe for Crema Catalana? I really fancy some after reading the book.

cozy mystery, Chez Maximka

It was so windy yesterday that the lawn under the apple trees is covered with windfalls. I picked a few and decided to bake an apple tart. I pre-baked the shortcrust pastry, then realised I didn't have any apricot jam to spread over, under the layer of apples. I only had a strawberry jam, which is not ideal for this dessert. How about the Biscoff spread? It actually worked quite well, so that was a good discovery.

Chez Maximka, what to do with apple glut


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

29 comments:

  1. The baby yoda pic is really good!

    I haven't been to costa yet...might take the girls for a treat soon before they go back to school.

    The apple tart look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fozia! The apple tart was tasty, I have just a couple of slices left for today.

      Delete
  2. I did read your Cornish memories post and it looks like you had a wonderful time.
    That is a fab drawing from your niece & Baby Yoda is so cute.
    My tomatoes are still all green too. I hope they ripen soon.
    Ahh! The wind helped my dad with picking the pears off his pear tree on Friday. He brought me a bag full. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, I read your comment! I really should reply to comments more consistently. Are you doing any preserves with pears? Our apples are still pretty sour right now, they will be at their best in another month.

      Delete
  3. What a relief that your laptop is OK! The drawing is fantastic. I thought my daughter would have enjoyed the Murder Most Unladylike series, but I think she is probably too old for it now. Your tomatoes look delicious. I hope the rest of them ripen soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, the main characters in the MMU are 14-15 years old, and I think I enjoy the books as much as my child, if not more. Though the one we've just finished, no.5, was not the best in the series.

      Delete
  4. looks like art runs in the fanmily. Good news about your laptop, what a relief #366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, I was so relieved about the laptop. After our holiday, I don't have any money to buy a new laptop.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to see that you went to a coffee shop. I know that you were a bit anxious about them. That drawing looks amazing, she is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, it was nice to have my favourite latte in Costa.

      Delete
  6. Ooh that apple tart looks good. Your niece is very talented. Love homegrown tomatoes. The one year I grew some they took forever to ripen I'd almost given up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma, the tomatoes are finally beginning to ripen, I picked two bowlfuls this week.

      Delete
  7. It looks like you had a wonderful time. That is a brilliant drawing of Baby Yoda. I've never tried to grow fruit or veg. It looks good x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, I find growing tomatoes the easiest from all the veg I've tried through many years.

      Delete
  8. Your niece is very talented. I'm hoping I still ahve some tomatoes left when I get home in 2 weeks. The apple and biscoff dessert looks really yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, hope your tomatoes will wait for your arrival back home.

      Delete
  9. Time goes so fast, how can it only be a week since you were in Cornwall ?! Baby Yoda is very cute - there's a lot of artistic talent in your family. My cherry tomatoes are still green - how can that be at the end of the summer ?! Your apple tart looks delicious - hmmm I'd never have thought of trying it with Biscoff but why not ? :) I've just checked - I did make crème catalane but I couldn't do it properly due to the lack of blowtorch ! - http://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspot.com/2014/06/globe-cooking-recipe-creme-catalane.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, the Biscoff on the tart base was a surprisingly good discovery, I will be making it that way again.

      Delete
  10. Hope you had a wonderful break in Cornwall? Love Baby Yoda she is very talented indeed. The apply tart looks delicious. We have a lot of plums thanks to a neighbour may make a tart. The tomatoes look great, I do love home grown. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely break in Cornwall, thank you! It feels like a second home, as we tend to stay in the same cottage. Plums are delicious in a tart, hope you made one.

      Delete
  11. My son is obsessed by Baby Yoda and just squealed with delight when he saw that picture. Hope you enjoy your break and the weather is kind to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Yoda seems to be very popular, isn't he?! There are so many toys right now.

      Delete
  12. I do like your staged shot for your book review. Might try something with the one I'm reviewing currently when I finish it. Love the Baby Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica, I'll check out your book review! I enjoy reading book reviews, adding to my to-read-later list.

      Delete
  13. Good thing the laptop is alright. The latte looks delicious. Baby Yoda is so well drawn, Sonia did a great job! Pretty shiny tomatoes. Cool figurines. The apple pie looks delicious. I've mad it multiple times, however my crust becomes hard as a rock

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much delicious food!!! That apple tart looks amazing! I think Apple crumble will be on the cards for a winter warming dessert when needed. Do love any type of apple dessert but don't make enough of my own!
    The Baby Yoda picture is amazing, Sonia is so talented and it's good to hear Eddie is picking up tips!
    The cherry tomatoes look seriously juicy! Joining in with 366 really does make me want to grow my own vegetables, maybe this is an idea for next year! Hope you are all having a lovely week! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad that you had a nice time in Cornwall – how lovely to be able to get away for a few days. Sonia’s drawing of Baby Yoda is impressive. How lovely to see your tomatoes ripening – ours are still green at the moment. Biscoff spread in an apple tart sounds very yummy – I’ll have to try that! #project366

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the baby Yoda picture: how old is your niece? Thanks for more book recommendations #project366

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute Yoda Sonia did. How lovely that she inspires Eddie. I would love to pop one of those ripe tomatoes in my mouth, homegrown is always much nicer. Oooh save me a slice of apple tart!

    ReplyDelete