Saturday 31 August 2019

Photo diary: week 35, project 365

The last day of summer is always a mix of sadness and relief. We're not quite ready to greet autumn, but by now I think we're all restless, and going back to school would definitely give me some personal time. I found the summer holidays too full-on. As I was telling my husband, who's away for the third time in the last month, that I haven't spent a single hour on my own these last few weeks, I'm always in someone's company, distracted from whatever I'm doing all the time.
Early mornings will be tough, but at least I will be able to have some time to myself, in peace and quiet, without being followed around and expected to answer one million questions.

A few weeks ago I asked someone to help me with the garden, as it's overgrown a lot in the summer. Along the weeds a small rose bush and a gooseberry plant were cut off, and I was left slightly fuming, as I thought it was pretty obvious they were not weeds. Thankfully, the little rose has recovered, and even produced a tiny red rosebud. The gooseberry, I'm afraid, hasn't come back to life.

garden rose

This summer we had a Marvel-films-marathon with Eddie, watching around 20 Marvels films. Last Monday it was the turn of Dr Strange. Not my favourite from the series. My top three would be Thor Ragnarok, Spiderman Far from Home and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. We can't wait for the Endgame DVD to arrive, which has been on pre-order for a while. Eddie still hasn't forgiven me for not taking him to the cinema to watch it.


Earlier in summer I had an email from an author, asking if I would like to read and review her book. I'm so glad I agreed (I had way too many book reviews lined up for several months in advance, that I wasn't sure I could do it). It's beautifully written. I just need a day or two to finish my review, as I want to give it justice.

books set in Victorian England

On Wednesday Sash had the last respite stay of the summer, and off he went, very happy. He had a great time. Eddie and I had a few errands in town. When I asked him what he'd like for dinner, he said he wanted chicken nuggets and chips. We did all the shopping, came back home, then I realised that we bought everything on the list except what he asked. Drat. We also collected Eddie's friend on the way home to spend the afternoon with us.
And so I ordered a takeaway pizza for the boys.


Leaving Eddie at home with the childminder, I ran into town to the pharmacy and a bit of grocery shopping. I enjoy walking by the Witney Mill.

Witney woolen blankets

Wild cyclamens bloom twice a year in my garden, in spring and in late summer/early autumn.

late summer flowers

I picked a few windfalls in the garden this morning and baked a cake.
After watching the first episode of GBBO, I really fancied a fruitcake, but none of my boys like proper fruitcakes, which are packed with dried fruit. This apple bundt cake is a compromise. I've grated one apple and chopped another one, and added a handful of chopped dried apricots.
Sasha ate two slices so it must be a good one, as he's a tricky customer when it comes to bakes.

what to do with apple glut



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on no time to yourself, I value me time quite highly but rarely get it either.
    Well done for leaving him with the childminder while you popped to the pharmacy.
    Shame about the gooseberry bush, personally cant stand the things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine, it was actually a nice little gooseberry, with very sweet pink berries.

      Delete
  2. It is difficult in the holidays isn't it? It's eased for me in the last year or two as H seems to have become a teenager and likes to shut himself away in his room a lot now. I miss the days out and things though - we still do a bit though. Pity about the gooseberry, but glad the rose has staged a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica, I'm sure once Eddie is older and doesn't need my company as much, I will be nostalgic about it.

      Delete
  3. I hear you ! Although sadly, for me the kids going back to school means the same for me ! I do get some "alone time" though, which always does you good ... bring it on ! Love the look of your cake - hmmm !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl, the cake happened to be a good one. I imagine it's more difficult for you to get time to yourself, with going back to teaching and all.

      Delete
  4. I am dreading the early school mornings but I am looking forward to having some time alone.
    Oh no, that's a shame about your garden and things being cut down.
    I have tried to watch Dr Strange a few times and I just can't get into it. I love all the other Marvel films though. I've watched Endgame about 6 times already. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, our Endgame DVD should arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed. I bet Eddie will be checking if the mail has arrived all day. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of movies. I can't imagine myself watching 20 Marvel films.
    I don't have time alone, but I'm happy with that, I will have some though and I'm sure how much I will enjoy it. Although I don't have children and that is very different. For me, spending time with my (mostly sleeping) dog and husband is wonderful. We've worked from home for a long time and we both enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, watching 20 Marvel movies was quite a feat. My son enjoyed them more than I did.

      Delete
  6. summer holidays are too long in my opinion and they seem to come round so quickly. I love Dr Strange, I'll watch with Eddie lol. The apple bundt looks fab, glad Sasha liked it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, we've since watched the Endgame, and that was very good.

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of movies, I'm not a Marvel fan, but a lot love it. The summer holidays do seem to go fast. I love the look of the apple Bunt xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nightmare with the gardening, I'm glad the rose came back at least. I've just started a second job, so it's like summer holidays all day every day, I get me time at 9pm now! #365

    ReplyDelete
  9. I struggle with the change from Summer to Autumn and it seems like it is in full swing now. Hope you have managed to grab a few hours. Sorry to hear about the garden very annoying. Love the sound of the cake I still haven't managed to watch GBBO yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've watched the Marvel films in order and Dr Strange is an odd inclusion as it doesn't flow nicely in the same way as the others #project365

    ReplyDelete