Tuesday 13 May 2014

Crumbed chicken with crispy sage

Now that I have re-discovered the clarified butter, there's no stopping me. I chuck it into everything, and love its rich intense flavour. If you haven't seen it yet in the supermarkets, keep a eye on Lurpak's new Cooks Range of butter. The recipe for Crumbed Chicken which is cooked in the clarified butter is quite easy but totally lip-smackingly delicious.




Crumbed Chicken with crispy sage
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts/fillets
2 cloves of garlic
a handful of thyme, chopped finely
1 egg
1tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme)
bread crumbs (made from 3 slices of bread)
2tbsp+ clarified butter
1 red onion, thinly sliced
sea salt, pepper
a handful of fresh sage leaves

Start by chopping the garlic with thyme leaves and spreading it all over the chicken fillets. Wrap in a cling film and leave to infuse for 30 minutes or an hour.
If making your own crumbs, take 3 slices of white bread, which is quite stale, but not completely dry either. You can just blitz them in the food processor, or just grate them, but be careful with your fingers.



Beat the egg, dip the chicken fillets or breasts in the egg and then in the crumbs, they should be covered well but not too thick-layered. Melt the clarified butter in a frying pan, and once it is sizzling hot, put the chicken fillets in it. Season them with sea and pepper. Cook for about half an hour or less, check with a wooden skewer if they are ready.
Slice the red onion and fry it with the chicken for the last ten minutes of cooking. Remove the chicken and onion on a plate with a paper kitchen towel. In the meantime fry the sage leaves until crispy, this will take literally a minute or two.
Serve with a fresh salad.




You can substitute the clarified butter with the olive oil, but the clarified butter gives this dish a deeper flavour and a delicious aroma.

6 comments:

  1. delicious! I love sage such a brilliant herb xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! I have a huge sage bush in the garden & enough sage to feed an army.

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious, I'm always on the look out for new tasty chicken recipes! :) X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say so it's delicious. The last time I had crispy sage, I loved it and I reckon, you can't go wrong with a crispy chicken. Oh, that reminds me of something, you for sure don't want to hear, so I keep it to myself. Anyway, delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a tease, Chris! Of course, now I want to know what it reminded you of.

      Delete