Monday 23 September 2013

Cod in soured cream sauce






Back in May I was glad to discover that my favourite food writer Nigel Slater cooks the fish almost the same way my Mum does, with creme fraiche (soured cream) and herbs.
You can find his recipe for Lemon Tarragon Cod on the Observer site. And while I haven't followed his recipe exactly, that short feature made me revisit my old memories and cook something in between his and my Mum's recipes.



Place 350g of cod fillet (two biggish chunky pieces) into a deep frying pan or wok. Add the juice of two lemons, 1tbsp of butter and half a handful of chopped herbs. Nigel Slater suggests using the tarragon.
Add a bay leaf and a few black peppercorns. Add 5 heaped tablespoons of the plain thick Greek yogurt (for example, Total Greek or Chobani) or soured cream and more chopped herbs (coriander and chives).
Once the sauce starts to boil, cover the pan with the lid and lower the heat. It has to be simmering for about 10 minutes. The fish is ready when it goes opaque.





Maestro himself is very flexible with the ingredients and mentioned that you could try the same recipe but use a different fish, for example, salmon instead of cod, as well as use the chervil instead of tarragon. Or keep it plain and simple by using flat-leaf parsley.
I couldn't find any fresh tarragon or chervil, and used a mix of fresh coriander and chives that grow in pots in my garden.
Serve with the mashed potatoes and green beans.




If you love Nigel Slater's recipes, why don't you join in the Dish of the Month linky on Farmersgirl Kitchen?!


13 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! Thank you so much for joining us for Dish of the Month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, a pleasure! An inspirational linky

      Delete
  2. Would never have thought of cooking fish like that, it looks amazingly good though :-) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Russians tend to add the soured cream to almost anything, and in this case it really works.

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious - on the menu for Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know if you liked it! My fave bit is mopping up all the sauce with bread just wiping the pan clean. :)

      Delete
  4. I love Cod but have never tried it like this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to eat more fish, recipes like this will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fish, it's my family who need more convincing. ;)

      Delete
  6. Made this yesterday and it was lovely! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. Pam Francis Gregory27 October 2013 at 11:02

    This sounds great - a great way to serve cod.

    ReplyDelete